Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/28/2003 8:00pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A middle ground would be great.... but we'd kind of need someone in the area with a gym, dojo... wearhouse for us to play in.

That it should be on a weekend is something I whole-heartedly agree with. March would be great, i'm fairly certain around then is when I get spring break.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2003 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We should be able to book a public gym if we know the details far enough in advance. (I'm not sure how you go about booking a space in a city you don't live in, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out.)
    Although if there are only 4 or so of us we can just go to a park or something similar. But just having 4 of us seems a bit sad.
    Anyone else out there?

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/29/2003 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go over to www.e-budo.com, and post in the Member's Lounge, you will likely get quite a decent reply...

When I was in Japan, we had monthly booze-fests where folks from all over the Tokyo area would get together to discuss MA. We had Shorinji Kempo, Oyata's RyuTe Karate, ninjutsu, CMA, all sorts of stuff. Safest pub in all of Shinjuku!

Anyway, I am sure there would be some takers, so long as you don't start the post with "I want to kick TMAist ass!" They don't go in for that kind of attitude over there, though the training most folks engage in over there is pretty respectable...

Just a thought. Hell, depending on when and where, I might even fly over to join in!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2004 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yiliquan -- a good friend of mine attended a couple of the e-budo get-togethers and gave them, well let's say mixed reviews. (I do have respect for e-budo, though, their posters seem quite knowledgeable and serious about their styles and kobudo in general. I think the problem was that my friend ran into fewer of the more knowledgeable people and more of the yahoos.)

Anyway, my attendance -- February will be hard for me to schedule, because I may be out of the country for a week or two (job training) but won't know until the beginning of the month. A weekend in mid-to-late March would work. I've got at least one other person who wants to come along, and he's got more of a typical Bullshido-style background (BJJ, kali, etc).

Anyone else?

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 1:45am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    March is great, my schedule is very flexible, and frankly I need to do some more traveling anyways, I don't get out enough here in my damned ivory tower. Starting to feel disconnected.

I'm a terrible exchange student, my Japanese is pathetic >_<

But yilliquan, if you can come here, that would be pretty amazing.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 2:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I owe some friends in and around Tokyo a visit. I was supposed to visit last August, but couldn't...

Maybe. Can't make any guarantees... I'll have to check my upcoming schedule and see what I can manage...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 6:08am

Style: Aunkai, Tokyo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely count me in! I've been itching to find some regular sparring partners. I live in Tokyo, so you guys get a time/place together I can freeup some time on my calendar.
    Just curious, Yiliqchuan, the style you practice, where'd you pick it up? Are the characters "Mind"́hPower"Boxing?(Dunno if the japanese characters will display correctly)

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 5:41pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kanji didn't display for me, but no big deal...

Nihongo de Ichi Ri Ken desu.

One Principle Boxing (Fist) is the English translation... Ichiriken is the Japanese pronunciation of the same kanji.

I learned it in Omaha, NE from 1985 - 1987, then after my first stint in the Army I studied from 1990 - 1999, and now I am in Washington State studying under the second most senior student in our system...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 9:54pm

Style: Aunkai, Tokyo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yiliquan: Weirdness, I studied under a chinese/malay guy in NY that taught a system from Malaysia and called it the same thing, but the characters were different. Looked up your style though, sounds similar (both are internal boxing etc etc) Definitely would be interesting to meet you and compare notes :-D
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast