Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 6:28pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maintenance calories and lean muscle mass

Basic question:

Does a 200 lbs man with 30% body fat have the same calorie maintenance as a 200 lbs man with 10% body fat?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on what he wants to maintain.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 6:44pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good follow up question. Lets assume for the sake of argument they "want" to maintain their percentage body fat. Let's also assume for the sake of this thought experiment they were both lazy asses and didn't work out, or worked out at similar levels.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a particular conundrum on that situation. With all things being equal it'd be very hard to imagine two individual of the same weight and size having a disproportionate difference in body fat % if both have the same levels of physical activity (in your example, lazy-ass activity.)

Assuming they are both active and of the same weight, the person with body fat % would have a greater amount of muscle than the person with greater body fat %. Muscle is living tissue that requires nutrients, fats are just for storage.

So the more muscular person would require a greater amount of calories to maintain that muscle mass under physical stress. The other person might actually eat less and force his body to go into starvation mode, grabbing as much as possible into fat storages.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris