Posted On:
    12/23/2008 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    Do you sprint on your heels?

I'm not sure I understand that question. Do you mean to ask if my heels are hitting the ground when I run?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 5:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    I'm not sure I understand that question. Do you mean to ask if my heels are hitting the ground when I run?
    It was rhetorical. Strides at high speeds generally absorb more impact through the balls of your feet, whereas a slower pace involves more heel impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 5:27pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what theruss is getting at, one of the theories behind the cause of shin splints is that when you run, you land first on your heels when you put your foot forward, causing the foot to slap down quickly and cause over stressing on the muscles/tendons in the shin, therefore shin splints. When you sprint, or run your ass off, you have your body weight very forward and generally land on your toes/balls fo the foot first as you run, therefore no shin splints.

edit: damn it. Beaten to it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 5:35pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000371.html

This is an article I found on Pose Tech's website about shin splints.

It sounds like alot of people are in favor of their method of running. It sounds good to me, but I haven't really read much about many other methods. Anyway, it is a good read.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 7:14pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco Strap
    This worked for me (PLACEBO EFFECT MEBBE LOLOLOL?). Maybe it's just Voodoo, but my solution to shin splints was to run backwards at the end of each run. Something about strengthening some muscle somewhere or something. I don't know, it didn't make a lot of sense, but it worked.
    Hmmmm, your coach might be on to something there. After my horrifically painful yet very effective ART, my physio dude taught me an exercise to strengthen the calf muscles the right way. Basically, I had to stand on the edge of a step with my heels hanging off the edge, stand on tip-toe, lift one foot and then do a controlled descent on one leg - slowly flex my ankle and lower myself until my heel was below my toes (using handrails for balance). This is incredibly hard to do and apparently builds up the calf muscles to protect against recurrence.

Not as goofy sounding as running backwards, but probably has a similar effect.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 7:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I would get absolutely disabling shinsplints. Once I started running my ass off (basically running like a kid) instead of jogging I never got them again.
    My comment was slightly off topic. I didn't mean to imply that carrying excess mass will automatically lead to shin splints. At the most, I would consider it no more than a contributing factor. My mistake in including your comment about shin splints in the part of your post I quoted.

Twenty years ago, I was told that running on your heels, especially on asphalt or concrete, can result in shin splints.

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 10:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    It was rhetorical. Strides at high speeds generally absorb more impact through the balls of your feet, whereas a slower pace involves more heel impact.

In other words, if the OP follows my advice it will work. Awesome!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 11:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other words, if the OP follows my advice it will work. Awesome!
    The problem is here:

After a few weeks of doing this you will condition yourself to run in a natural gait.
    I don't think that sprinting will correct your jogging gait.

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point was that "jogging" itself is the problem. Anytime you "jog" you are using an unnatural gait. This leads to shin splints. People (like me) who are prone to shin splints need to run (primarily untimed at distances that are not preset). I really don't see any controversy. If the OP ignored every other post in this thread (although there are some very good ones) and just did what I wrote in my first post he could report back in a month saying everything is cool. He could even train that way while his shin splints were healing.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 9:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point was that "jogging" itself is the problem. Anytime you "jog" you are using an unnatural gait. This leads to shin splints. People (like me) who are prone to shin splints need to run (primarily untimed at distances that are not preset). I really don't see any controversy.
    "Doctor, it hurts every time I move my arm like this."
    "Then don't move your arm like that."

Given that the OP's not training for any running events, changing their style of training is potentially a viable solution to the problem. Note that this is not always the case - for example, my own shin splints had nothing to do with jogging.

He could even train that way while his shin splints were healing.
    That's probably not a good idea. He'd still be loading the tibia - probably lower peak load, but I'd expect him to recover more quickly if he stayed off of them and did swimming/cycling/elliptical instead until they're healed.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast