Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cross-Discipline Sparring Videos

If anyone feels like watching some sparring videos, I have posted a bunch of them on my youtube account (see below for links). I really like getting feedback from this board, so let me know what you think.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about a year and a half. Shaiyan does TKD. Corwin has recently started doing Muay Thai at my gym, but he's done Kung Fu in the past. I am in the white shirt, Shaiyan is in the green shirt, and Corwin is in the grey shirt.

Note: The first round I spar with Shaiyan, we allow punches to the face. But I socked him at the end of the round, so we fought without punches to the face on subsequent rounds.

Highlights:
    YouTube - Sparring Highlights

Me vs. Corwin:
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 1: Tim vs. Corwin
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 4: Tim vs. Corwin
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 7: Tim vs. Corwin

Me vs. Shaiyan:
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 3: Tim vs. Shaiyan
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 6: Tim vs. Shaiyan
    YouTube - Sparring 12/10/08 Round 8: Tim vs. Shaiyan

If you would like to see Shaiyan fight Corwin, those videos are also posted. My youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/heraldofthefrog

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 1:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweep the TKD guys girly kicks and punch him in the face, Just to be a douche.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 2:04pm

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice headkicks in the first video. He had his hands down and the rest of him soon followed!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, AJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would keep your hands higher when kicking, a better fighter might split your action and be able to connect to your head with their right hand, which is a good way to drop someone.

also there were a couple of times you absorbed a couple of body kicks and your partner dropped his hands. you could use that motion of absorbing with the arms to move forward and follow with hands.....example - absorb left body kick, follow with a right cross, left hook, right cross then flow into a left body kick of your own.

just my two cents

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 10:31pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's 2 more cents...

Maybe work on making more use of a foot-jab to defend kicks. In the first 'vs Corwin' video, Corwin was weight neutral when kicking (leaning back quite a bit); a well timed foot jab would either crumple him or send him to the mat. Follow with a thai kick to the leg to send him further off balance. This works well for me especially since I'm a southpaw (stepping off-line after the foot-jab which puts me on my right-handed opponent's weak side).

Also, checking his kicks, as opposed to absorbing them, would give you a good window to follow-up with hands and would save your ribs some hurt when the intensity is ramped up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, AJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good call, actually i meant using the arms as absorbing blocks though. but you are right, it can save your midsection a little soreness in case those kicks did sneak in there

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 2:31am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of looks like both of you guys do TKD, even if you guys are going light, kick through the target. Catch those weak snap kicks, or just take them and go in counter punch. Nothing Fancy here, just everything you already know. Tell your friends that a wide stance = leg kicks and to tell them to stop changing from southpaw to regular stance. Choose one to learn fundemental muay thai skills and then perhaps explore later.