230393 Bullies, 4178 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 53
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. superman36369 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rome , GA
    Posts
    94

    Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:31am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Eskrima and Krav Maga

    I have been training in alot of the diffrent martial arts required for most MMA fighters , but I know that all situations can not be handled with a toe to toe fight and if you have a bottle or stick comming at you most likely you need a back up plan. I feel I can handle the average person with my training but not everyone is average.
    So I have been looking into Eskrima and Krav Maga. The only problem is I can not find any where that teaches either MA anywhere near me or even in GA for that matter.
    My question is , does anyone know of any credible schools in North GA or the Atlanta area that teach Escrima and/or Krav Maga. Thanks
  2. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    12/22/2008 10:11am


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So just to make sure we got your priorities straight, you want something self-defense oriented that you can graft onto your combat sports training fairly easily?
  3. escrimador6 is offline
    escrimador6's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548

    Posted On:
    12/22/2008 2:20pm


     Style: FMA / BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google "Atlanta escrima". I found http://atlantamartialartcenter.com/. They teach Inosanto Kali and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali. Both great styles.

    Atlanta is a big city so many options should be available. If you decide to go with Krav Maga check out a few classes before signing up. There is a rapidly growing element of McDojo in the style.
  4. superman36369 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rome , GA
    Posts
    94

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 10:37am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    So just to make sure we got your priorities straight, you want something self-defense oriented that you can graft onto your combat sports training fairly easily?
    basically yeah , I know how to handle someone without a weapon , but I want to be ready for any situation that may arise.
  5. Naszir is offline
    Naszir's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    1,194

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 11:21am


     Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superman36369
    basically yeah , I know how to handle someone without a weapon , but I want to be ready for any situation that may arise.
    Based on this I also suggest sprints and parkour/freerunning. Nike Fu is more widely applicable than espada y daga. By this I don't mean "Don't train in FMA" I just mean that being able to quickly disengage from a situation is a lot more useful than a lot of us give it credit for.
  6. Shen Lung is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    30

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 1:46pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HunGar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree with Nazir, and don't think that MMA training will teach to handle the "average guy" when their unarmed. I've done MMA fighting for 8 years now and do you know how many rules their are when you enter the cage? average joe hasn't been trained with those rules and will not fight "fair". GA is known for Gun fu and i would be more worried about that than a knife or stick.
    I would look for Chin Na classes in your area, that is what Krav Maga is based off of. They will also teach you to not fight "fair",neck strikes,skin rolling, grion strikes, small joint manipulation,etc.
    And the best part of Chin Na is if you want to learn it with the intent to use it on the next person that pisses you off- they will train that OUT of you to.
  7. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 2:25pm


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    umm, not what he said.
  8. Shen Lung is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    30

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 3:12pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HunGar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    umm, not what he said.
    please explain or specify.
  9. escrimador6 is offline
    escrimador6's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    548

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 3:16pm


     Style: FMA / BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shen Lung
    please explain or specify.
    He is saying that the ability to leave a situation if you can, by running if need be, is a worthy skill to have. In the end it will save you a lot of trouble.

    This is not a street vs. ring argument.
  10. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    12/23/2008 3:50pm


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shen Lung
    I totally agree with Nazir, and don't think that MMA training will teach to handle the "average guy" when their unarmed. I've done MMA fighting for 8 years now and do you know how many rules their are when you enter the cage? average joe hasn't been trained with those rules and will not fight "fair". GA is known for Gun fu and i would be more worried about that than a knife or stick.
    I would look for Chin Na classes in your area, that is what Krav Maga is based off of. They will also teach you to not fight "fair",neck strikes,skin rolling, grion strikes, small joint manipulation,etc.
    And the best part of Chin Na is if you want to learn it with the intent to use it on the next person that pisses you off- they will train that OUT of you to.
    1) the roots of krav are boxing, judo, and wrestling, not chinese jointlocks
    2) standing joint locks as a primary defense strategy against guns seems kind of silly
    3) Biting opponents who don't know how to strike, grapple or clinch won't net you victory. Simply being "no rules" isn't enough to garuntee victory. It's a difference in the tactics, not the fundamental skillset, much like the difference in striking in a kickboxing match vs striking in MMA.
    4) if it's a weapon environment, weapons deployment and retention will be more valuable than standing joint-locks. Kali(and in some cases, krav) will train those.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.