Looks nice and cheap.

Thankee pooo!!

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 10:32pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know any other books on angling,

books on boxing/kick boxing/muay thai that have a heavy emphasis on hitting angles?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 12:37am

Style: g. barra (blue belt), fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're hardcore about getting books, check amazon for "fighting karate" and "more fighting karate" by the man himself, Ashihara. The second one is about $200, but i still plan on getting it. "Fighting Karate", imo, is better than "Sabaki Method". Also, try "Complete Kickboxing", by Keith Livingston. It has several bits on angling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 1:16am

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the link dood just placed my order

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 2:25am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Damnit, he's not supposed to know about amazon.com until 5th dan, JFC WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL HIM ALL OUR SECRETS. ><
    I don't believe in advanced techniques, just ones that work ;).

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 4:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah crap maxed out my quota for ordering books.

FIghting karate huh?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers Kali Tudo DVD has some interesting material on the use of angling.

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 12:12pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless this is an intellectual pursuit, going to a good boxing gym is the way to go. Self instruction is ok, but having some old guy tell you what you are doing wrong is going to get you where you want to be a lot faster, while trying to do it yourself could lead to ingraining bad habits. I have the Sabaki book, which is pretty good, but not as good as coaching.

PS, the funny thing about boxing is that you can get decent coaching for cheap, whereas I see some of the MMA competitors in my area (Oakland CA) come in and train with the coaches and then charge hard core cash to regurgitate what they just learned at their own gym. Ah, capitalism.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 12:51pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well lucky for me that the person coaching me is the actual writer of the book. I just bought the book so I can practice here at home more. sometimes he tries explaining things to me and because of his super thick accent I cant understand what hes trying to say sometimes. I just want him to stop yelling at me lol

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless this is an intellectual pursuit, going to a good boxing gym is the way to go. Self instruction is ok, but having some old guy tell you what you are doing wrong is going to get you where you want to be a lot faster, while trying to do it yourself could lead to ingraining bad habits. I have the Sabaki book, which is pretty good, but not as good as coaching.

PS, the funny thing about boxing is that you can get decent coaching for cheap, whereas I see some of the MMA competitors in my area (Oakland CA) come in and train with the coaches and then charge hard core cash to regurgitate what they just learned at their own gym. Ah, capitalism
    The one boxing school close to where i live wants committed members, not drop in students. But your right it's cheap. I just can't train there(i have no car to go to other gyms)
    I hope MMA schools one day drop to a similar price. That would be damn convenient.

My karate school heavily pushes attacking from angles. But it's based around the principles of single system, and i want to see how other syles set up superior positioning.

The "Dragon MMA" used to be a kyokushin school. Good solid striking, pushes footwork and controlling the distance, and all sorts of other things, but does not go too indepth on angles.

The other school i train at is primarily Jitts, though they got decent enough boxing.
    That guy DOES teach lots on angles, but it's nothing spectacular or different from what i already play with.

If i find anything of interest in the books, ill probably grab a friend to play with it a bit and then bring it into sparring or bring it to open matt class to play with.

The Dog Brothers Kali Tudo DVD has some interesting material on the use of angling.
    Second time this has been referred to me! Gotta check that out.
    Thankee!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast