Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 8:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diet aggravation, or how to lose the last 20-30lbs

Ok guys, I lost 60+ lbs since June. I went from 242 to 180ish. It fluctuates between 180-190, and has been ever since September.

I want to lose the last 30 lbs, and get to 150. I think that something biochemically shifted in my body from losing all that weight before (i did it with a normal meal plan and no weird diets) and now its just not as effective. I plan to jog an hour a day, work out MA a few times a week, and not eat like a pig anymore. I have been walking daily and saying on my meal plan, but it kind of bottomed out and I was maintaining the same weight for a while.

What should I be watching out for to increase my weight loss/ make sure it does not creep back?

Thnx and sorry for the obvious "repetition" that this tread has compare to the others in this forum.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you are going to start doing what you need to. Increasing cardio and cutting back on calories as you lose weight will help. Depending on how fast you want to lose the weight, you may want to burn anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories a day.

Not over-eating and skipping meals will help you maintain your weight. Tracking what you eat and when you workout can help you stay focus. Sleep well and don't eat right before you go to bed.

You may already know all of this, but I hope something in here helps. Good luck on losing the 30lbs :thumbsup:

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 11:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that every weight has a "Maintenance Caloric Requirement".

Once you hit that level, you WILL stop losing weight. While it may feel like you're still dieting a ton, you may have hit your "lifestyle diet".

How many calories are you currently eating? A rough number will help.

Also, are you incorporating any strength training at all? "The bigger the engine, the more fuel it can burn"...not to mention you'll look better, feel better, and perform better in MA if you start hitting the weights.

If that doesn't motivate you to start lifting, think of it this way:

Polish Illusion @ 180 lbs and 15% body fat = 1600-1800 calories required to maintain.

Polish Illusion @ 180 lbs and 8% body fat (i.e. more muscle) = 2200-2500 calories required to maintain.

i.e. If you start lifting and putting on muscle, you'll be able to eat more. Win win situation.

EDIT: Alright, the sleeping pills are kicking in. What I neglected to mention is that the "2200-2500 calories required to maintain" number is based on sticking to a regular lifting schedule.

All in all, keep dieting but incorporate regular exercise. You'll hit your goals, but now you need to work extra hard to make it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SuperGuido; 12/21/2008 11:47pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 1:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prescribe some sort of interval training - either sprint intervals or Tabatas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 2:32am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't worry about losing anymore weight at the moment. In 6 months you lost 60lbs. That alot of weight in a short period of time and a good job. You probably hit a plateau where your body is becoming accustomed to the workload and not burning as many calories as it becomes more efficient at exercising (thats my understanding of what happens).

I'd say just maintain a healthy diet and don't focus on losing weight for the next month or two. Just eat right, keep working out as a regular part of your day and not as a way to lose weight.

I'd recommend against jogging for an hour every day, especially if thats what you've been doing before.

Have you been weight lifting? Lifting is a great way to add more muscle which you have probably lost while losing weight along with the fat and water too. Plus, it take lots of calories to build muscle and maintain it. Also, after losing a bunch of weight, it will help you tighten up, especially if you planning on losing more weight, cause 60lbs i alot.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 6:15am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how do you know what your Maintenance Caloric Requirement is?

edit: I found a little calculator. depending on whiether I do a "moderate" or "heavy" amount of working out (who knows what that means), it's 3756 to 4180. That seems like a lot.
    Last edited by Domite; 12/22/2008 6:22am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 9:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, the nutritionist said i gotta stay at 1800 to keep losing weight if i work out

ive been eating terribly for a few days, gained 10 lbs of water. so im 190 now. im gonna eat healthy again after xmas and then just train like a mad man, gonna start doing body weight workouts and the like - I need to work physical stuff into my life more.

I am already learning some good exercises the person I train with, but I need to learn more and just get off my ass daily to do them.

I also have terrible psychological body image of myself. I think that the way I looked in high school while eating 200 calories a day of atkins diet was normal - which was what turned me off to eating right and working out until now. I've got to realize that while I was in 34 pants back then (and 36 jeans, 38 dockers now) I was really sick from it and I can not do that to myself.

Oh well, after xmas I am going to eat like a fucking rabbit again and thats it. Zucchini and eggplant have become my best friends in the last few months and thats how its gonna stay.

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 10:19am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the above posts. Gain.. Muscle... Mass...
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 10:37am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconding heavy weight training, not that 'bodyweight excercise' bs you mentioned.

How tall are you? For many people, 150 would be too light. Then again, that's assuming there is some muscle mass. You should calculate your current bmi, and then go from there to decide what is really necessary.

Anyways, here are your calculators:
    www.thedailyplate.com

It's a free website that can track everything you eat, calculate your calorie requirements, bmi, etc., and compare your diet to your goals. If you just wanna use it for the calculators, that's fine too.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 10:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Midget Hitler Santa
    Seconding heavy weight training, not that 'bodyweight excercise' bs you mentioned.

How tall are you? For many people, 150 would be too light. Then again, that's assuming there is some muscle mass. You should calculate your current bmi, and then go from there to decide what is really necessary.

Anyways, here are your calculators:
    www.thedailyplate.com

It's a free website that can track everything you eat, calculate your calorie requirements, bmi, etc., and compare your diet to your goals. If you just wanna use it for the calculators, that's fine too.
    Thanks what I wanted.

Thanks
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast