Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 10:30am

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    So crossfit is like the karv maga of gym?
    What does that mean? I would say "Cross fit is more like Systema of Gym"

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 1:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwhip
    What does that mean? I would say "Cross fit is more like Systema of Gym"
    It means there is a lot of variation in the quality.

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 1:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    The keyword he was using though was "sub-optimal". It can do the job, yes, but the question is, is it in fact the best answer? The comes to the debate of specificity and structure of a training system.
    Maybe, but given life's time constraints, money, etc, it's a decent option for someone wanting a varied fitness program. I don't have the time and am not willing to part with the funds needed to get a personal lifting coach or research and follow an olympic-level program.

I'm not going to fight in the UFC, or compete in weight lifting, so Crossfit is a perfect fitness supplement to doing MMA a few times a week.

Not everyone needs to pursue a conditioning program that's 100% optimal if the total investment required to do so is beyond what would be reasonable for their goals.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 2:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me, that if you're short on time you would want to use the most optimal program you can, so you can get the most out of the short time you have. I don't think you need a professional trainer to help you either. You can use a cookie cutter MMA strength and conditioning program because, hell, you're already doing that with crossfit. It's just not aimed at MMA.

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Maybe, but given life's time constraints, money, etc, it's a decent option for someone wanting a varied fitness program. I don't have the time and am not willing to part with the funds needed to get a personal lifting coach or research and follow an olympic-level program.
    yep, same goes for me. In the same way that my handgun training is sub-optimal, or my snowboarding or drifting in stolen Mitsubishis...I just don't have the time to develop all aspects. As well, I don't have the motivation, there's just too much to do.

The circuit routines that include rowing and running and Olympic lifts and so on are physically and mentally challenging and of great benefit to my main focus, which is SAMBO. Plus, having a group to train with provides a very good reinforcement of technique and desire.

I've seen some horrible cookie-cutter programs out there and some trainers that're prepping a fighter for the sequel to "300" and not a fight. Its the usual buyer beware admonition.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, but given life's time constraints, money, etc, it's a decent option
    Yet again, I am not saying it will not work, I am saying it is SUB OPTIMAL.

Being sub optimal is not a negative thing, just a factual thing.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other Other Santa
    Plus, having a group to train with provides a very good reinforcement of technique and desire.
    I don't think I'd benefit much from external motivation when it comes to resistance training, but having someone to yell at me during energy systems training would be invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 9:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    I don't think I'd benefit much from external motivation when it comes to resistance training, but having someone to yell at me during energy systems training would be invaluable.
    absolutely!

My Sgt Lee Ermy doll broke so I need people around to shout at my fundamentally-lazy ass when I don't want to sprint out the last 15-20 steps...

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    1/05/2009 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither do I. After looking at my training logs for the last few months/years, I realized that A) lack of relative strength was causing me to pick up frequent injuries, and B) while I was good at making explosive bursts of movement, I'd gotten to the point where my overall energy levels would run down very rapidly over the course of a training session.

Because those are specific weaknesses of mine, in between BJJ classes I'm doing blocks of maximal strength work to address the first concern, and cardiac output work to address the second.

In the past, I've had issues with muscle endurance for grip, which I addressed with a block of sandbag conditioning work, and anaerobic capacity, which I addressed with a block of Tabata sprints.

All of this was more effective than doing Crossfit for an equivalent length of time would have been, because I was addressing specific weaknesses in my overall conditioning for MMA/BJJ, rather than following a cookie cutter general conditioning program that tries to work everything at once. It didn't require a personal coach or an olympic level program; it just required paying attention to my training log and some research as to the best methods to develop specific aspects of fitness.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    1/06/2009 3:41am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crossfit is a great initial conditioning system when used to establish a foundation of strength, endurance, explosiveness, and recovery. For intermediate athletes, it's a decent way to ferret out holes in your strength which are keeping you from breaking through that ceiling into the elite ranks.

If you're elite, like me, then don't even bother.

In case you care, I know for a fact that the 1st Special Forces Group has embraced Crossfit with a homoerotic passion, even sending their soldiers to get certified. Of course, these are the chodes who embraced aikido in the same manner back in the 80's.

If KFC cares for a personal review, GOON has been to the Crossfit he wants to attend and can give it the thumbs up. Alas, GOON lives too far from Sodo to work out there regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast