Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never had any problems with my lower back but I could see how you would if you aren't strong in your back.

The cool thing with this wheel is that you can start on your knees if you need to. That helps. Or only go half way down. Just to work your self up to it. I bought mine for like 2 dollars. You can find them everywhere. Wall mart, Sports Authority...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 10:09pm

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when it comes to sit ups I like to rotate exercises like doing 25 leg raises then 25 crunches then 25 reverse crunches and then back to leg raises that always works for me

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    Hi all,

I've been doing the "one hundred push ups" program from http://hundredpushups.com/
    for a while now. Now, I am looking for a similarily easy workout for my abs, something that I could do without too much effort before I go to work, or when I come home at night.
    Could you please recommend me one?

- I am not looking to work out for a summer sixpack here, but just to strengthen my abs/trunk muscles a bit. *Groans.* I've been doing a bit FC sparring lately, and ooooh, I really need to get more in shape. *Applies more ointment to his abs.*

Thank you, and happy holidays,

Rafe
    [venomous rant]
    Dude, what the hell?????? :icon_conf You can't really develop any strength by doing stuff without too much effort. You cannot get a college degree, develop a trade, be good at a hobby or excel at a job by doing things without much effort. What makes you think physical development is any different? It isn't.
    [/venomous rant]

Now, if you are short of time, and unless you are suffering from some bad **** like high blood pressure or something, then you basically have to use shorter, more intense workouts. And when that's really impossible due to time and/or other urgent obligations, just watch what your eat and make sure you get enough sleep time. Sleep is perhaps the most underrated variable in physical development.

The ab wheel would be the answer for you as others have pointed out.

And in the name of Sauron stop doing that 100-pushup **** man!!!! Do a search and read the stickies. You are gonna **** yourself up real good by doing that kind of crazy ****.

Learn to do your research and learn the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind a particular exercise routine. You have only one body with only one set of ligaments. You are gonna **** them up and end up taking advil and icying for months or years.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/30/2008 9:36am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 10:57am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just do some leg lifts on the tower thingy at the gym, between sets?

You can work your abs every other day if you don't kill yourself; they recover quickly.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 1:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    [venomous rant]
    Dude, what the hell?????? :icon_conf You can't really develop any strength by doing stuff without too much effort. You cannot get a college degree, develop a trade, be good at a hobby or excel at a job by doing things without much effort. What makes you think physical development is any different? It isn't.
    [/venomous rant]
    Noooooooo, Sir! I live for this! I am a chronic procrastinator, but not essentially of the lazy kind!

I am merely looking for something I can do in the 15-min gap between awakening and cooking my breakfast. (Yeah, I KNOW what most of YOU would do in the first fifteen minutes after waking up... Unfortunately for this, I am single at the moment.)

I usually do push-ups, but thought I should do some crunches/whatever for the abs as well. (After reading through this thread, I have switched to ab wheels instead of crunches.)

And in the name of Sauron stop doing that 100-pushup **** man!!!! Do a search and read the stickies. You are gonna **** yourself up real good by doing that kind of crazy ****.

Learn to do your research and learn the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind a particular exercise routine. You have only one body with only one set of ligaments. You are gonna **** them up and end up taking advil and icying for months or years.
    :-) Okay, if you recommend it, I will leave it for now. Still, I fail to understand what is wrong with ordinary push-ups. (Read the stickies, still not sure.)
    It doesn't really feel that hard, though, of course, it's not a replacement for the gym, like the site there seems to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Why not just do some leg lifts on the tower thingy at the gym, between sets?

You can work your abs every other day if you don't kill yourself; they recover quickly
    Hey, that's cool! You gave me a good idea with the leg lifts - easy to perform, and quick to do. I think I will keep them in my program! (Body hurts like hell from the ab wheels.)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    :-) Okay, if you recommend it, I will leave it for now. Still, I fail to understand what is wrong with ordinary push-ups. (Read the stickies, still not sure.)
    It doesn't really feel that hard, though, of course, it's not a replacement for the gym, like the site there seems to suggest.
    • Hmmm, well, let me ask you these:
    • What do you expect to get from this 100-push up program?
    • Does this program makes sure the muscles opposite to the ones used in push ups get equal stimulation (in particular the shoulders muscle group, namely X, antagonist to the group of shoulders muscles, namely Y that are involved in push ups)?
    • What do you think happen when one group of muscles get grinded over and over with its antagonistics being neglected?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I see what's your point, I believe.

What do you expect to get from this 100-push up program?
    Nothing, really. Have done short wourkouts like that since my teenage days.
    The program itself seems pretty crotty, but the form the repetitions are divided seems workable. (Week 5 right now.) However, the program seems to be made for people that are in some shape anyway. Untrained people should not do it.

Does this program makes sure the muscles opposite to the ones used in push ups get equal stimulation (in particular the shoulders muscle group, namely X, antagonist to the group of shoulders muscles, namely Y that are involved in push ups)?
    No, it doesn't. To relay only on this program to tank some muscle would not do at all.

What do you think happen when one group of muscles get grinded over and over with its antagonistics being neglected?
    Errh... That would hurt, I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess, I should rather not do my morning glory push-ups any more? - Never had any problems, though TEM seems to be perfectly right about his objections.

Anything else I should do? - Maybe some barbell work?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 12:44am

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could makeshift something for inverted rows, which are basically the complete opposite of push ups, they are much harder however, so I would recommend mixing them in with some more challenging variations on push ups. Add that to your ab wheel and you should have something of an upper body workout, and shouldn't take over 15 minutes.

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Best thing about the ab wheel is you can find one at a garage sale for like $1
    that's where i got mine. ghetto fabulous!
    :new_all_c
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123