Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by footfistway
    Fake,

I see, you think I am going to watch a video and start teaching this to students the next day. Right,....your not making assumptions.
    FootFistWay - I think the general response (which is correct imo) is that if you want to teach grappling you are going to need to learn it from a real source (not a few videos on the internet, not a few seminars and not a few classes). Grappling isn't something you get good at unless you train it....alot.

Your students will thank you for it in the long run if you get a real grappling background before teaching them or if you bring in someone legit who can teach them.

It takes about 6 months to 1 year of regular training (2 or 3 classes per week minimum) before you will have just the basics down. No amount of flow drills will give you these skills - you need to train with non-compliant partners for the bulk of your training.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:37pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a pissant! Why don't you move this to YMAS so you can feel better Fake.
    Why are you upset? You asked for advice on grappling as an admitted non-grappler, several grapplers gave you advice and you get your panties in a bunch because the grapplers told you to go to a grappling school to learn grappling. :psyduck:

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a pissant! Why don't you move this to YMAS so you can feel better Fake.
    Call me names that's cool. How about you actually quote where I made an assumption not backed by your own words.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Why are you upset? You asked for advice on grappling as an admitted non-grappler, several grapplers gave you advice and you get your panties in a bunch because the grapplers told you to go to a grappling school to learn grappling. :psyduck:
    I am upset because Is it Fake called me a liar. He seems like a very knowledgeable martial artist who also happens to be a pissant.
    As I am sure that you know karate has throws and joint locks and such and they are largely crap. As someone who has been doing this stuff for a while I realized that if I was to improve this in my world I need to seek help elsewhere, after all, that is what MMA is right? Folks who want to learn about all aspects of martial arts (other than their specialty) and practice them with the intent of being a better-rounded martial artist. If I can find a way to work these techniques I will. If you want to call it crap, fine, call it what you want.
    Even a guy like Is it Fake might have some holes in his training regime. In fact, if he wants he can bend over and I can plug it for him!

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were given the only answer that works and that's to have someone who knows what they're doing teach you.

You might not like that answer but its the correct one

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am upset because Is it Fake called me a liar. He seems like a very knowledgeable martial artist who also happens to be a pissant.
    As I am sure that you know karate has throws and joint locks and such and they are largely crap. As someone who has been doing this stuff for a while I realized that if I was to improve this in my world I need to seek help elsewhere, after all, that is what MMA is right? Folks who want to learn about all aspects of martial arts (other than their specialty) and practice them with the intent of being a better-rounded martial artist. If I can find a way to work these techniques I will. If you want to call it crap, fine, call it what you want.
    Even a guy like Is it Fake might have some holes in his training regime. In fact, if he wants he can bend over and I can plug it for him!
    I'm straight I won't accept your proposal for sex. Thanks anyway.

Please, don't make me pull out all of your insults. Are you one of those type of people? Up on that high horse, you can hurl insults but, you get upset when they come back?

No, MMA is a ruleset and people TRAIN in that ruleset. They don't ask for help, via the internet, to set up a curriculum for at home study.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This analogy might help you understand where the people on this thread are coming from.

Suppose I have a broken ankle that requires surgery. Would I go to an Ear, Throat, and Nose doctor to get it looked at? Just because he has experience in medicine, does not mean he can accurately do surgery on my ankle.

Now suppose he attends seminars and watches an ankle surgery a month for the next 5 years. He still would not be my first choice for performing surgery.

Last, suppose he goes to a medical site and asks how he can incorporate ankle surgery into his practice by doing forms of cutting and working hard at learning ankle surgery.

What response do you think he would get from the other doctors on the site?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go that one step further.
    i'll assume something on fistfoorway's skill level: it sucks.

if you have 30 years of real experience you'd realise that your question is stupid, if you train for 30 years you would know people who could give you the proper info.

wanting some grappling techniques for relaxation drills...you ******.
    its people like you who **** up the good martial arts.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, hell ... OK.

Footfistway, the adversarial banter is just part of the forum culture here. You'll generally get good advice within a certain range of topics as long as you're ready and able to put up with the locker-room talk. If you let it get under your skin, chances are excellent that you'll miss out on the good stuff.

You mention that you have about thirty years of training - that's good, me too. IMO if you've made an active study of effective combat movement skills (posture, relaxation, breathing, "tactical movement" etc.) then that actually will give you a serious head-start in learning skills such as grappling, essentially regardless of your major emphasis being Shotokan (the push-hands training is, obviously, more directly applicable).

Can you clarify whether you're interested in drills for standing grappling, ground grappling or both?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    Can you clarify whether you're interested in drills for standing grappling, ground grappling or both?
    he's looking for the techniques that will enable him to say that 'that stuff from the UFC? we incorporate that aswell, please sign here for timmy's 2 year contract and sign this check please.'
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast