Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    If you want grappling taught in your class then either learn to grapple at a school or hire a grappling instructor! Otherwise you are cheating your students. They will not be well rounded, they will not have any grappling skills and they will get owned if they roll with even an experienced white belt.
    Quoted for truth and correctness. Footfistway, if you're going to teach grappling, then you'd better know a LOT about it. I'm sure you started teaching shotokan ONLY after you had learned a lot about it. Likewise, you should think long and hard and do some soul searching before you decide if you're qualified to teach grappling.

Get help. Get GOOD help; not drills.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. It’s the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by footfistway
    Because I work a full time job, I have 30 or so kids I teach Shotokan to, a handful of folks that do Tai Chi and a family. I don't intend to compete but I want to include some basic grappling into my classes because I understand its value to a well-rounded martial artist. I really don't have the time to study grappling full time any more than I have time to study WC full time. This doesn’t stop me from including WC in my classes...
    I don't think that Seminars are a substitute for training in a given art, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t learn something useful from them. After all, I am talking about basics here.

I would say you would be better off bringing in a Judo guy or BJJ guy to teach classes.

Do you have school you own or is it something at the Y?

Again I don't know the financial situation of you or your students but you should think about bringing in some sort of grappler once a week or something to teach.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Interesting you say this:

It has nothing to do with US knowing all. It has to do with your arrogance and being an admitted beginner in what you are asking about. You are also willing to teach "principles" and "techniques" (notice the correct spelling?) to other beginners when, you would be a few steps ahead of said beginners.

Do you not understand the problem?
    Yes, yes, I can’t spell or form or coherent thought either……oh and as an arrogant beginner that just doesn’t get it……with all this going against me, how could I possibly "understand the problem".
    You know, after reading some of the stuff on this site I was beginning to think that the people that your critics were wrong. I have read some of the best writing on martial arts I have seen in a long time on here. You are proving me wrong again, imagine that.
    I do not have all the answers to all the questions regarding martial arts, I thought that this was a place I could go to get some answers that were not bullshit. If all you can do is make assumptions about my intentions and my ability before you even get a chance to fully realize where I am coming from than fine, I will find another resource.

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido is about tough love and the truth

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:05pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, yes, I can’t spell or form or coherent thought either……oh and as an arrogant beginner that just doesn’t get it……with all this going against me, how could I possibly "understand the problem".
    You know, after reading some of the stuff on this site I was beginning to think that the people that your critics were wrong. I have read some of the best writing on martial arts I have seen in a long time on here. You are proving me wrong again, imagine that.
    I do not have all the answers to all the questions regarding martial arts, I thought that this was a place I could go to get some answers that were not bullshit. If all you can do is make assumptions about my intentions and my ability before you even get a chance to fully realize where I am coming from than fine, I will find another resource.

Please understand I am making no assumptions about your skills.

As a non-grappler that needs to include a basic grappling skill set to my cirricum I thought that this might be a good exercise for the likes of Bullshido ahhhh Bullys to help me with.
    You said that you were a non-grappler. As such you are not qualified to teach grappling. These drills you are looking for will not give you basic grappling skills. They will be nothing more than a choreographed set of moves that resemble grappling.

As for another resource, try martial arts planet. They will be impressed that you are a black belt karateka and that of course your karate skills will carry over to grappling and of course you don't need to take any classes to learn how to grapple.

Go to youtube and do a search on jiu jitsu flow drills. There are lots of them. Of course you don't know what the moves are or how to do them correctly but you students won't know the difference.

Until one of them gets his ass handed to him by a bjj white belt or a high school wrestler.

Mods, can this be moved to YMAS or trollsido, please?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I see a ton of words but, no response if you do understand.

Smoke screen? I said you were a beginner based on your STATED experience in Tai Chi.

3O years of Shotokan doesn't give you an automatic understanding of Tai Chi.

I do not have all the answers to all the questions regarding martial arts, I thought that this was a place I could go to get some answers that were not bullshit.

Yet, here you sit wanting us to help you create bullshit. You want people to make a tailor made curriculum for you to first teach then experiment.

Oh please, the responses you are receiving in no way affect the articles you read.

If all you can do is make assumptions about my intentions and my ability before you even get a chance to fully realize where I am coming from than fine, I will find another resource.
    I'm not making assumptions about your intentions.

As a non-grappler that needs to include a basic grappling skill set to my cirricum I thought that this might be a good exercise for the likes of Bullshido ahhhh Bullys to help me with.
    Yes, this can be taken either way, you experimenting and you teaching. When I see the word curriculum I assumed teaching. That is why we asked questions.

You then said:
    I have 30 or so kids I teach Shotokan to, a handful of folks that do Tai Chi and a family. I don't intend to compete but I want to include some basic grappling into my classes because I understand its value to a well-rounded martial artist
    Now, if you mean something different then say so. These are your words not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by IIF
    Go to youtube and post a link to the push hands you do or have experienced.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fake,

I see, you think I am going to watch a video and start teaching this to students the next day. Right,....your not making assumptions.

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then clarify

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fake,

I see, you think I am going to watch a video and start teaching this to students the next day. Right,....your not making assumptions.
    Now, this is an assumption and a failed one at that.
    30 years in the Martial arts and you lie?

Wow looks like you are failing at Martial "principals."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Now, this is an assumption and a failed one at that.
    30 years in the Martial arts and you lie?

Wow looks like you are failing at Martial "principals."

What a pissant! Why don't you move this to YMAS so you can feel better Fake.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast