Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Push Hands and Grappling

I am not sure where this goes sooooo being a noob I will put it here.....

I am looking for a set of grappling drills that can be practiced like Tai Chi Push hands. I have seen some "flow drills" that look kind of like what I am looking for, but not quite.

What I really need is ten or so grappling techniques and their corresponding escapes that can be taught as a continuously moving set for the purpose of building the same kind of following, relaxation and sensitivity skills that are learned from push hands.

As a non-grappler that needs to include a basic grappling skill set to my cirricum I thought that this might be a good exercise for the likes of Bullshido ahhhh Bullys to help me with.
  2. GhostOfKimura

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, footfistway! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:14am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by footfistway
    As a non-grappler that needs to include a basic grappling skill set to my cirricum I thought that this might be a good exercise for the likes of Bullshido ahhhh Bullys to help me with.
    To obtain basic grappling skills I would strongly recommend going to a grappling class and getting training from someone who knows what they are doing.

Any flow drills you would pick up from the internetz would essentially be worthless without hands on grappling training to go with them. Grappling skillz requires a live resisting opponent other wise all you are learning is some form of interpretive dance.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I really need is ten or so grappling techniques and their corresponding escapes that can be taught as a continuously moving set for the purpose of building the same kind of following, relaxation and sensitivity skills that are learned from push hands.
    What is your experience with Tai Chi?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like I have done no grappling. I have been doing Martial arts for close to 30 years now. I have trained with some grapplers over the years and have done lots and lots of seminars but I certainly don't call myself a grappler. I have learned and drilled many techniques, but what I am looking for is a way to work those basics in a way that helps me train to stay relaxed and feel as I am working them.

And by the way, as somone that has ALSO done some "interpretive dance" I will thank you for not telling me it looks like your Grappling…….

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, you ask a question and you flip out at the response. That isn't going to get you much help.

It'll also end up with your thread in YMAS.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Interesting, you ask a question and you flip out at the response. That isn't going to get you much help.
    It'll also end up with your thread in YMAS.
    Wow, relax, I was just kidding about the "interpretive dance" thing...
    I am not flipping out, I am just looking for some information that I thought I could get from a group with a deep AND wide understanding of the principals that cross disciplines.
    My teacher was a student of Cheng (In Boston) my current teacher is a student of Anthony Ho in CA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 10:52am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, we will try this again

What is your experience with Tai Chi?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Tai chi in about 1990 after 10 years so of Shotokan, my teacher was not a very advanced, he taught me Cheng Man Ching's form. In 96 I moved back to Maine and Trained with my original Karate teacher Alan Gardner who in addition to Shotokan was a CMA teacher and a direct student of Cheng. I also dabbled in the Chen style and now (as my teacher passed away in "06" I am learning the Wu form from a friend who is a student of Tony Ho.

Need more details?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question is why do you want these drills and why wouldn't you join a grappling club?

Seminars and the occasion cross training probably equals 1 week of class.
Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast