Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

gkr karate, what is it?

any one heard of this gkr karate thing, a bloke got in contact with me about a job as instructor and invited me to a class, i went nd there wer all wearing daft costumes and we wer made to practise wat looked like bull shite, the instructor was more like a salesman and seemed to be constantly trying to convince me that thai boxing is a waste of time and that karate is fucking mint, if thats wat karates really like i think id learn more watchin beverly hills ninja

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 8:17pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR = the epitome of McDojoism, I once went to a class and it was absolutely shameful. They are in it purely to make money.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything about gkr that you wanted to know, but were too afraid to ask:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=gokanryu

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    12/23/2008 8:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSon
    Everything about gkr that you wanted to know, but were too afraid to ask:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=gokanryu
    Good job being helpful, but the correct response was: SEARCH FUNCTION, NOOB!!!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 3:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've lived in Australia my entire life and I've never been approached by GKR door to door sellers. I reckon it could be interesting to work as a crap karate instructor.
    Wouldn't have to stay in shape, can just make up stuff and be worshipped by kids and teenagers.
    I could have a fancy belt and uniform as well, which is nice. I may be responsible for some kids getting beaten up, but I can just blame it on them.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 6:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I type enough words, the links to the GKR threads show up in my signature.

I'd advise you not to consider training with GKR, let alone be one of their sales force/instructors.

They provide very basic training to clueless noobs and charge quite a lot for doing so.

Classes are generally run my someone wearing a black and white belt... I have first hand knowledge of a class being run by someone with about 8 months training.
    I've heared anecdotal evidence of 3-5 month people teaching.

As for the job, they're known to be a pyramid selling like entity... the people at the top get rich and the poor bastards at the bottom peddle piss-poor, second rate karate to trusting newbs.

Seriously, don't do it.

here come the links....
    V V V V
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 6:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefstyles
    I've lived in Australia my entire life and I've never been approached by GKR door to door sellers. I reckon it could be interesting to work as a crap karate instructor.
    Wouldn't have to stay in shape, can just make up stuff and be worshipped by kids and teenagers.
    I could have a fancy belt and uniform as well, which is nice. I may be responsible for some kids getting beaten up, but I can just blame it on them.
    ^
    That's pretty dead on
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:14am

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering, has anyone heard of a similar structured business model actually selling decent self defence? or does everything useful go out the window once you start trying to make big cash?

(Im talking similar as in instructors hunting down students and the whole thing using multi-level-marketing, not 3 month training teachers ofcourse)

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by codo3500
    Just wondering, has anyone heard of a similar structured business model actually selling decent self defence? or does everything useful go out the window once you start trying to make big cash?

(Im talking similar as in instructors hunting down students and the whole thing using multi-level-marketing, not 3 month training teachers ofcourse)
    I, personally, haven't heard of anything that doesn't dilute the training by chasing the mass market.

I suppose there might be exceptions to this, and I'd be interested to hear about them.

Incidentally, a GKR instructor I spoke to recently admitted they don't teach any special self defence stuff, just kata and one-step.
    This from the company that calls its door-to-door salesmen 'Self Defence Consultants'.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 7:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do my sensors indicate a troll?

But actually, I have had a guy come to my door advertising karate once. About a year ago; don't remember if it was GKR or not. Do other dojos do a similar thing?

If so.....gay.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast