Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,202
    Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Help me with a preliminary choice for training in London

    Ok, so I did use the search function, and found not much relating to my questions.

    I need a place to train in London when I go over at the end of the month, looking at roughly 18 months over there.
    A note on me:
    I'm quite badly out of shape at the moment, and should be considered a noob, although I do have a fairly decent technical base in JKD and JJ (I understand grappling, but suck horribly at it)

    What I'm looking for:
    MMA
    No Gis (Mine's too damn heavy to take over with me and the damn things are expensive)
    Preferably decent/emphasised takedowns.
    Cheap
    And most importantly, a good "vibe" in the class, what I mean by this is that I'm a total newbie to the UK, and I'd quite like the gym to be a place where I can meet cool people and make friends, while still getting the **** kicked out of me mercilessly.

    What I'd like from you:
    Opinions on if its better to do more MA classes or fewer MA classes and gym/lift weights.
    Experiences/rumours/hearsay about the places I've listed below.
    Info on anywhere else that I may have missed.

    Now, the most promising places I've managed to find withing easy reach of where I'll be staying are:

    London Shootfighters
    http://www.londonshootfighters.com
    This would be my ideal choice, except for the price, as it offers MMA, Shootboxing (I like the takedowns/throws mixed with striking) and gym facilities. However, due to the costs involved I'd pretty much only be able to do two classes a week.

    Pancrase London
    http://www.pancraselondon.com
    This looks like a very good second choice, the price is within my budget, and the instructors' qualifications are well impressive. My only concern here is that they don't seem to have gym facilities, and I doubt that I can afford a seperate gym membership.

    London Fight Factory
    http://www.londonfightfactory.com/
    This place doesn't look bad, I'm concerned about the "Weng Chun Kung fu" and the fact that they don't list their prices, also their only combined MMA class is on a saturday, which when one is living with an SO after a year of long-distance is not ideal. Also the BJJ will require a gi, and I'm quite tired of those.

    Obviously I'm going to go and do intro classes/check the places out when I get there, but I figured it couldn't help to organise my thoughts and put this out there.

    Feel free to move this to YMAS and insult me, my family, my choice in women(Gong Sau!) and anything else that takes your fancy.

    Thanks
    Fuzzy

  2. #2
    TKDBot
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Fuzzy... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

  3. #3
    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Asriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,794
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    London Shoot is supposedly one of the best in Town so I'd recommend there if you can go. Pancrase London is also very good, Jess has fought in the UFC several times.

    I've not been to either personally but have heard good things about both.

    LFF is just round the corner from my work and I've checked it out. I believe it's around 60 quid a month for unlimited but PointyShinyBurn trains there and should be able to help you out a bit more.

    I train here www.rogergracievieacademy.co.uk if you're going to be in the Clerkenwell area.

    I'd say you can't go wrong with either of the two MMA gyms though.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

    " I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

    "Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

    "Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

    "That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp


  4. #4
    Kambei Shimada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey-England
    Posts
    1,385
    Style
    Sub-Grap/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Man,

    Londonshoot is definitely worth checking out as the Instructors are top class.
    (It's not too expensive actually: Individual Classes are 9 pounds or you can pay 40 a month for as many classes as you want)
    The Classes place alot of enthesis on conditioning(and are faimed for a rather grueling warm up session) so if your looking to get in shape this is the place.

    Pancrase London is also a very good gym and is slightly cheaper.


    (And by the way Asriel^^^ your new Avatar is most excellent!)
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 10/09/2008 8:00am at .

  5. #5
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,216
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    London Fight Factory
    http://www.londonfightfactory.com/
    This place doesn't look bad, I'm concerned about the "Weng Chun Kung fu" and the fact that they don't list their prices, also their only combined MMA class is on a saturday, which when one is living with an SO after a year of long-distance is not ideal. Also the BJJ will require a gi, and I'm quite tired of those.
    I train there and, yes, a guy does rent space for _ing _un classes. They don't really have anything to do with us.

    BJJ classes are mostly (wholly, in fact, for the beginner's classes) in the gi, so if you're dead set on lyrca-clad sweatiness we may not suit. We are all pretty friendly (as long as you don't take excessive offence to being semi-permanently named by your most salient feature and/or most striking gi patch).

    I'm not sure about pricing, to be honest, best to give Luiz a ring and ask him.

    I'm pretty sure Pancrase London have their own gym now? That's what it says on the web site.

    You might also like to check out:
    Carlson Gracie http://carlsongracieteam.org.uk/
    Team Titan http://www.titanfighter.com/

    All of the above are solid places to train.

  6. #6
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,202
    Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada
    Hey Man,

    Londonshoot is definitely worth checking out as the Instructors are top class.
    (It's not too expensive actually: Individual Classes are 9 pounds or you can pay 40 a month for as many classes as you want)
    The Classes place alot of enthesis on conditioning(and are faimed for a rather grueling warm up session) so if your looking to get in shape this is the place.

    Pancrase London is also a very good gym and is slightly cheaper.
    If it turns out to be only 40 a month for as many classes as I want I'll be there so fast I won't bother to finish unpacking, its literally within walking/jogging distance of where I'll be staying, and the weights room as well as the training looks to be perfect. I'll go along and check that out as soon as I can. Thanks.

  7. #7
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,216
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    If it turns out to be only 40 a month for as many classes as I want I'll be there so fast I won't bother to finish unpacking
    I'm pretty sure it isn't:
    http://www.londonshootfighters.com/membership/

  8. #8
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,202
    Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Yeah, that's why it seemed such a surprise to me, when I first started looking at this, when Katje went over in March I think, it seemed to be 35 p/m and a limit of 3 or 4 classes.

    As it stands now I'm thinking probably Pancrase London.
    Otherwise Londonshoot with 2 classes per week and weights.

  9. #9
    Kambei Shimada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey-England
    Posts
    1,385
    Style
    Sub-Grap/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    Yeah, that's why it seemed such a surprise to me, when I first started looking at this, when Katje went over in March I think, it seemed to be 35 p/m and a limit of 3 or 4 classes.

    As it stands now I'm thinking probably Pancrase London.
    Otherwise Londonshoot with 2 classes per week and weights.
    Yeah actually, It does look like they've increased the pricing on the website- I would recommend just going down and speaking to Paul about training costs.

    I currently train 1-2 a week on a pay per class basis.

  10. #10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    Ok, so I did use the search function, and found not much relating to my questions.

    I need a place to train in London when I go over at the end of the month, looking at roughly 18 months over there.
    A note on me:
    I'm quite badly out of shape at the moment, and should be considered a noob, although I do have a fairly decent technical base in JKD and JJ (I understand grappling, but suck horribly at it)

    What I'm looking for:
    MMA
    No Gis (Mine's too damn heavy to take over with me and the damn things are expensive)
    Preferably decent/emphasised takedowns.
    Cheap
    And most importantly, a good "vibe" in the class, what I mean by this is that I'm a total newbie to the UK, and I'd quite like the gym to be a place where I can meet cool people and make friends, while still getting the **** kicked out of me mercilessly.

    What I'd like from you:
    Opinions on if its better to do more MA classes or fewer MA classes and gym/lift weights.
    Experiences/rumours/hearsay about the places I've listed below.
    Info on anywhere else that I may have missed.

    Now, the most promising places I've managed to find withing easy reach of where I'll be staying are:

    London Shootfighters
    http://www.londonshootfighters.com
    This would be my ideal choice, except for the price, as it offers MMA, Shootboxing (I like the takedowns/throws mixed with striking) and gym facilities. However, due to the costs involved I'd pretty much only be able to do two classes a week.

    Pancrase London
    http://www.pancraselondon.com
    This looks like a very good second choice, the price is within my budget, and the instructors' qualifications are well impressive. My only concern here is that they don't seem to have gym facilities, and I doubt that I can afford a seperate gym membership.

    London Fight Factory
    http://www.londonfightfactory.com/
    This place doesn't look bad, I'm concerned about the "Weng Chun Kung fu" and the fact that they don't list their prices, also their only combined MMA class is on a saturday, which when one is living with an SO after a year of long-distance is not ideal. Also the BJJ will require a gi, and I'm quite tired of those.

    Obviously I'm going to go and do intro classes/check the places out when I get there, but I figured it couldn't help to organise my thoughts and put this out there.

    Feel free to move this to YMAS and insult me, my family, my choice in women(Gong Sau!) and anything else that takes your fancy.

    Thanks
    Fuzzy
    hello mate,

    first off, which part of london will you be staying in?
    next thing, the mma scene in the uk is growing but most places (best places) will require you to where a gi, if your sneaky you can get a tight fitting judo gi and where that to bjj,

    a fanatastic gym/fight team in north london is rgda.uk/bloodline fight team, look them up on youtube,

    2nd: roger gracie has a school in west london thats pretty intense, on a saturday they have a no gi day to roll and sparr

    loads of info if you wanna contact me

    hope ive helped a little

    paul

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in