Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 8:24pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can some one interpret some DR speak for me?

from an mri report of my left ankle, my dr is out till january, i have no idea what this means! This is after a moto accident

2. There is tenosynovitis and musculotendinous strain flexor hallucis longus
    muscle and tendon.

3. There is intrasubstance punctiform signal within the posterior band
    talofibular ligament indicating intrasubstance tear and reparative change.

4. There Is punctiform signal of the proximal zone of the calcaneofibular
    ligament indicating intrasubstance tear and reparative change.

5. Intrasubstance tear tiblotalar and tibiocalcaneal ligament.

it is an OCR from a PDF. i tried to make sure all the terms were recognized correctly.
    Any help is appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is some more, which says the same thing i think.

MRl FINDINGS;
    OSSEOUS ANATOMY; Examination of the left ankle reveals normal alignment of the ankle mortise joint. There is minimal narrowing ofthe tibiotalar joint. The bilateral malleoli are intact. The talus and calcaneus exhibit normal signal features. Minimal fluid is seen within the anterior and posterior articular recesses oftibiotalar joint and within the subtalar joint. Minimal fluid also noted within the calcaneocuboid joint. The cuboid and
    navicular tarsal bones are intact Intercuneiform joints exhibit mild effusions. No eVidence for Lis Franc injury is detected. Metatarsal bases are intact. Sagittal projections
    do not reveal any evidence for sinus tarsi syndrome nor evidence for fibroosseous tarsal
    coalition.
    PLANTAR COMPARTMENT: The plantar fat. fascia, and deep muscle groups of midfoot and hindfoot are normal. No evidence for plantar fascial tear or fibromatosis is seen.
    MUSCLE LIGAMENT AND TENDONS: The Achilles tendon is intact. The peroneus longus/brevis tendons are normal. Tibialis posterior and flexor digitorum longus tendons
    are intact. Tibialis anterior. extensor hallucis longus, and extensor digitorum. longus
    tendons are normal at the level of the midfoot and hindfoot. The posterior band talofibular ligament exhibits slightly increased punctiform signal near its fibular margin
    indicating intrasubstance tear and reparative change. Anterior band talofibuIar ligament is intact. As it pertains to rest ofthe stabilization ligaments of the ankle, the tibiotalar
    ligament exhibits increased intrasubstance to linear signal. The tibiocaIcanealligament exhibits increased signal in the proximal to intermediate zone indicating intrasubstance
    tear and reparative change.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 8:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like you've got tears to multiple ligaments and a muscle/tendon was strained, all around your ankle area. I'd say that you should probably wait until your doc can consult with you.
    Last edited by Breakfast Fox; 12/18/2008 8:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 9:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah this was back in july, just got the mri a week ago. was not having much progress with physical therapy so they sent me in for an mri. im good with forward/back movement but anything lateral feels like my foot will rip off. i have not been able to do anything remotely athletic since july =(

thanks!

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 10:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lateral sprain of your ankle. A bad one. Probably going to take a long time to heal.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/18/2008 10:02pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Lateral sprain of your ankle. A bad one. Probably going to take a long time to heal.

Edited for clarity.

yeah the accident was in july.. the mri was a few weeks ago..

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 11:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn
    yeah the accident was in july.. the mri was a few weeks ago..
    Depending on how old you are, your level of activity, and your tolerance for pain, it seriously could take a year for that **** to heal, if it even heals completely right. I'd suggest rotational exercises as much as possible, to the point of discomfort. Just back off if it starts swelling up or genuinely feeling fucked up. You'll know what I mean. DO NOT do load bearing exercises on that leg if it hurts. That's the worst possible solution.

If you've been doing physical therapy, I'm probably being redundant though.

Edit: Just approach your physical therapy with a slow and steady approach, kinda like BJJ. It's going to be a long time before you feel 100%. Again, sorry if I'm being redundant.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/18/2008 11:07pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply Cassius. I am 28, and am used to going to jits 5 days a week, hiking on week ends, long motorcycle rides etc, and it sucks. have not been able to go to practice for fear of getting my foot ripped off, and the ankle swells after more then 30 min on the motorcycle ( i just started riding a few weeks ago, i hate traffic). the pain i can deal with, i just really want my ankle to be functional

I was in a walking boot for 3 weeks, then started physical therapy. right now we do elastic band excersizes to work out the ankle, some step up and down from a platform thing, and other stuff. non of it is very difficult, but i am used to pretty hard workouts. I used to train the ankle 3 days a week, but i have stepped it up to 5 now to try and get results. if i still dont have any good stability after another month im considering surgery. it really sucks. The hardest part is i can walk around and be a regular american couch potato, but cant do what i really want

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn
    Thanks for the reply Cassius. I am 28, and am used to going to jits 5 days a week, hiking on week ends, long motorcycle rides etc, and it sucks. have not been able to go to practice for fear of getting my foot ripped off, and the ankle swells after more then 30 min on the motorcycle ( i just started riding a few weeks ago, i hate traffic). the pain i can deal with, i just really want my ankle to be functional

I was in a walking boot for 3 weeks, then started physical therapy. right now we do elastic band excersizes to work out the ankle, some step up and down from a platform thing, and other stuff. non of it is very difficult, but i am used to pretty hard workouts. I used to train the ankle 3 days a week, but i have stepped it up to 5 now to try and get results. if i still dont have any good stability after another month im considering surgery. it really sucks. The hardest part is i can walk around and be a regular american couch potato, but cant do what i really want
    Did your PT recommend 5x a week? You have to be careful not to overload the healing muscles/ligaments in your ankle, they require rest to get the benefits of your workouts. Follow your therapist and Dr's advice to the letter, I assume your icing your ankle when it swells up also? If not you should.

When you do finally get healed enough to do BJJ again, I recommend buying a nice ankle brace that supports the side of your ankle. It will help stabilize your foot, take a lot of the strain from your ligaments and help prevent re-injury. You can find something like this at a Longs for around $20.

Also, don't even **** around when someone goes for an anklelock or toe hold. Just tap and tell the person he's a dick for going for your bandaged leg. Also, a nice little exercise I started doing after my ankle swelling went down was to "write" the letters of the alphabet with my ankle while I watched TV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    Did your PT recommend 5x a week? You have to be careful not to overload the healing muscles/ligaments in your ankle, they require rest to get the benefits of your workouts. Follow your therapist and Dr's advice to the letter, I assume your icing your ankle when it swells up also? If not you should.

When you do finally get healed enough to do BJJ again, I recommend buying a nice ankle brace that supports the side of your ankle. It will help stabilize your foot, take a lot of the strain from your ligaments and help prevent re-injury. You can find something like this at a Longs for around $20.

Also, don't even **** around when someone goes for an anklelock or toe hold. Just tap and tell the person he's a dick for going for your bandaged leg. Also, a nice little exercise I started doing after my ankle swelling went down was to "write" the letters of the alphabet with my ankle while I watched TV.
    Yes, Her and my ortho surgeon suggested i do more work at home, to strenghen the outside of the ankle to help support the foot. I do about 20 minutes at home with it each night, doing the alphabet as you said, and using the band and moving the ankle back and out, and in and out. i am icing it when it swells. I do have a ankle brace that i use when i do anything where i am on my feet for a while, or lots of walking. its a lace up with that also has 3 straps, pretty stable.

I have not gone back to practice yet, it wouldnt be good, just keeping guard closed, or playing open gaurd would put to much pressure on my ankle. and if i did go, i would be taping if some one looked at my ankle.
    Last edited by benonmsn; 12/19/2008 2:51pm at .