Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/25/2003 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Stold3
    Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense to tap out when it starts to hurt, right? Or is that too late?
    that's too late. you tap out b/c u think something's gonna break, not cuz it hurts. not all submissions hurt. most don't until it's too late. this is why many leglocks are illegal for white belt tourneys; white belts do not know how to judge their joints' pressure tolerance.

These are pro fights Ronin.

not only that, their ego and pride is on the line. After so many Gracies losing match after match, it gets personal. your whole family watching...and what is a bigger fear? breaking ur arm or being lectured about the gracie challenges and gracie way by your 20 brothers...and helio! haha j/k.
    Last edited by BlackBeltNow; 12/25/2003 1:27pm at .

Posted On:
    12/25/2003 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. But what about the first couple UFC's where nobody knew a damn thing about grappling or knowing when a lock is sunk in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 8:13pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only arm I think he broke was Renzo's. That happened so fast there was no time to tap. HE had REnzo is and standing Kimura that didn't have much on it. Then they spun and both fell down instantly breaking REnzo's arm.

Royler is just flexible and his arm wasn't broken.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sherdog report of fight that happened at UFC 42

Rich Crunkilton vs Hermes Franca
    Crunkilton came out swinging he landed several shots and managed to escape a pretty tight kneebar midway through the round. As the round wore on both fighters were visible tired and the pace slowed. Early in the second, Franca landed a flurry that sent "Cleat" reeling but he could not land the decisive blow. Franca caught him again near the end of the round as he dropped Crunkilton with punches and nearly finished him by submission as the round ended.

"Cleat" took Franca to the mat as the third round commenced and tried to strike from within Franca's guard. After a referee standup Crunkilton took Franca back to the mat and showed off his spectacular submission defense as he escaped yet another armbar. Franca then applied another armbar that further dislocated "Cleat's" arm (which was initially dislocated in the second round) with about 30 seconds remaining in the fight but even though he screamed in pain he refused to tap and popped his elbow back into place and finished the fight. After three rounds, all three judges scored the fight 29-28 for the winner Hermes Franca.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 8:37pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that fight was brutal. He had to have surgery to repair his arm after that.

Posted On:
    12/30/2003 9:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    Sherdog report of fight that happened at UFC 42

Rich Crunkilton vs Hermes Franca
    Crunkilton came out swinging he landed several shots and managed to escape a pretty tight kneebar midway through the round. As the round wore on both fighters were visible tired and the pace slowed. Early in the second, Franca landed a flurry that sent "Cleat" reeling but he could not land the decisive blow. Franca caught him again near the end of the round as he dropped Crunkilton with punches and nearly finished him by submission as the round ended.

"Cleat" took Franca to the mat as the third round commenced and tried to strike from within Franca's guard. After a referee standup Crunkilton took Franca back to the mat and showed off his spectacular submission defense as he escaped yet another armbar. Franca then applied another armbar that further dislocated "Cleat's" arm (which was initially dislocated in the second round) with about 30 seconds remaining in the fight but even though he screamed in pain he refused to tap and popped his elbow back into place and finished the fight. After three rounds, all three judges scored the fight 29-28 for the winner Hermes Franca.
    Hmm thank you, I was trying to find that one.....

Posted On:
    12/31/2003 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Stold3
    Fair enough. But what about the first couple UFC's where nobody knew a damn thing about grappling or knowing when a lock is sunk in?
    most ppl tap out of unpleasant feeling. t his is true for chokes. but look at royces armbar to jason delucia. that arm was bending like crazy!!! and i think in an early KOTC someones foot broke b/c they rolled (escape) the wrong direction

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/31/2003 5:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some pple I think are just STUPID.

I had a match once (Sub Grappling) and I hat an ankle lock on the guy. He tried to counter buy pushing his foot through. I was no longer in the sweet spot for the lock but it as still set in good enough to do damage. I had sacraficed position to secure the lock so the guy got points for the 'escape'. I am still cranking away and I know he's in pain, you could see it on his face, but he wouldn't tap. I understand his reasoning to hold on until time ran out since he was up on points but I not going to let up knowing I'm down. SOO CRANK CRANK CRANK POP. Time ended at pop and of course he won but he couldn't stand oub because I had wrenched his knee out. He won the match but couldn't continue on in the event. How smart is that?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12