Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2003 9:59pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Expose of Dr. Mang Gyi

I just read this very troubling discussion of Dr. Mang Gyi's false claims concerning his military record. Gyi is the founder of a martial arts organization that teaches Bando, a martial art from Burma. http://www.phonyveterans.com/Gyi.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 11:53pm

Style: Bando

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if it's true what they are saying, it doesn't take away from his ability as an instructor.
    I train with a member of the organization who is a fifth level in the system and even he has questioned Dr. Gyi's claims. The only thing that that bothers me about the controversy that is going on is I hope Bando as system doesn't get a bad name because of It. Bando as a martial system is a very effective system for self defense.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This Page Cannot Be Displayed.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 8:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get the same.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 8:08am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ooopps
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen Bando but from what I've heard it is a lot like Muay Thai (in the great schoeme of things) and an excellent art. Pitty it's crapped on by twats making false claims.

Can't someone make him rebrand to Hapkido so that the Bando name is left untarnished?????

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'd actually read that before. Yesh....
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Jun Fan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I can see, the site doesn't refute that he's an excellent martial-artist, just that his stories
    of war and some of his history has been fabricated. That's a shame, I found the stories
    inspiring and I hate to find out that someone who has the respect of quite a few other
    martial artists felt it necessary to pad his resume.

Better to know the truth, though. The 'question everything' lesson is one I learn over and over.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 11:01am

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I may interject; you really have to look at this issue with a discerning eye.
    Bando as it it taught today is without a doubt a strong and effective system.
    However; if a man lies repeatedly about his life and military service, then why wouldn't he spin yarns about his martial arts.

Bando sword and staff methods closely resemble Krabi Krabong, the Thai sword and staff/spear methods. Dr. Gyi's Burmese boxing closely resembles Muay Thai. Is this merely a coincidence of cultural similarity or an instance of plagarism? It's not impossible to pull the wool over the eyes of American martial arts enthusiasts looking for something "exclusive".

This forum has exposed many bull-shitters for what they are. Dr. Gyi just may be a bull-shitter (or a bull-shitter's bull-shitter) who was able to pull together a useful system out of things that he learned elsewhere and renamed under his own banner. It happens all the time, and the American public falls for it.

Whether or not Dr. Gyi's Bando is authentic or fabricated; and whether he is a good instructor or not, one has to wonder whether or not he is really a man of honor after he fabricated his military and personal history.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast