Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 10:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you do anything to injure the hand cheesymac417? Was there some trauma that caused a sudden change or is this something that has been there for a while?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesymac417
    For some reason, making a 'proper' fist with my right hand feels uncomfortable. The phalanges and knuckles of my index and middle finger come out more than those of my three lower fingers when in a fist. (If I slide a hand from the bottom most finger to the top over my fist, there is a huge elevation once I reach my middle finger.)
    This has been handled nicely by other posters and is pretty much an anatomical fact, as demonstrated by TEM.

If i apply pressure on my fist by lets say doing a knuckle pushup, I feel as if my "distal inter-phalangeal joints" (basically the first joint if you go from finger tip to the base of finger of my index and middle fingers) are being crushed. And, strangely a fist made in my left hand is fine... Maybe my fingers are just too long for my hand. Oh and thanks to anyone who cared to read my whole supplication. :mblah05:
    Are you naturally right handed?

If so, your right hand will be better conditioned as being the appendage of choice, however this makes for a double-edged sword as this is the hand which will also suffer the most trauma from usage. Jammed or broken fingers, stressed or swollen joints, CTS in the wrist.....all thses things which don't or can't be treated and build up over time.

Causing you to alter how you do things to avoid pain or discomfort. This adaptation will quite likely place undue stress on the surrounding areas.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [...]my index and middle finger come out more than those of my three lower fingers[...]
    As Hogfather halfway pointed out, I think the real issue is that the OP HAS SIX FINGERS.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 2:56pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think some light cases of Marfan Syndrome result in only elongated fingers; however I seriously doubt you wouldn't have had a doctor notice this.

Stop doing knuckle pushups on hard surfaces and maybe the problem will self-correct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 9:52pm

Style: Wrestling,Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses guys. Hm, I have not injured my knuckles/ hands in any way so I guess that can't be the reason. Oh and I know that the index and middle fingers are naturally larger but the proportions of their sizes in my right hand when rolled into a fist are much greater than that in my left hand(which makes a natural slant with the first two fingers largest.) In my right hand it's just a steep elevation from the ring finger to the middle when in a fist. When I train boxing with gloves and handwraps I don't notice a thing... it's only when I'm bare-knuckled that it becomes annoying.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 1:04am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we see a picture of said fists?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 7:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses guys. Hm, I have not injured my knuckles/ hands in any way so I guess that can't be the reason. Oh and I know that the index and middle fingers are naturally larger but the proportions of their sizes in my right hand when rolled into a fist are much greater than that in my left hand(which makes a natural slant with the first two fingers largest.) In my right hand it's just a steep elevation from the ring finger to the middle when in a fist. When I train boxing with gloves and handwraps I don't notice a thing... it's only when I'm bare-knuckled that it becomes annoying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 7:14am

Style: Wrestling,Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Moonracer
    yes I'm a righty

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 7:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever noticed how farmers or mechanics or guys who do lots of manual labor with their hands seem to have disproportionally large hands?

It's the same way with your dominant hand. It gets most of the usage and most of the punishment.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12