Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What causes a mag to blow out the bottom of your handgun?

Today I went to a range with a friend and we rented a .22, a Ruger Mark 2. One time, when my friend was firing, the magazine blew out the bottom of the Ruger, the bottom of the casing fell out of the handgun, and the rest of the casing looked like it got kind of crushed while "stovepiping".

Luckily the round went down range just fine, and nobody was injured, and the handgun wasn't damaged.

I went and got one of the range supervisors, who examined the handgun, and then tested it out for safety by loading up seven cartridges and firing them before handing the .22 back to us.

What the heck happened? I've personally never seen anything like that happen before, and I've mostly heard about things like that happening in conjunction with reloaded ammuntion, whereas we were using factory ammunition bought from the range.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was it the first round shot out of that mag?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm trying to remember, and I want to say, no, I do not believe it was the first round out of the mag.

But my friend might have manually worked the slide just before firing after getting a "click" instead of a bang, now that I think about it.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the base was weakened or partially cracked.

Never heard of that, but since .22 is a rimfire, it is a possibility that the base was damaged by incomplete feed and subsequent stripping from the clip.

Lucky for your friend that it didn't set off any other rounds in the mag.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    Maybe the base was weakened or partially cracked.

Never heard of that, but since .22 is a rimfire, it is a possibility that the base was damaged by incomplete feed and subsequent stripping from the clip.

Lucky for your friend that it didn't set off any other rounds in the mag.
    This is what I was going to say...a damaged baseplate---or a baseplate which was improperly assembled and the baseplate catch hadn't snapped into place properly.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, let me make sure I'm understanding this.

You guys are saying that the cartridge could have been damaged, or had a manufacturer's defect, which caused it to not seat properly and to go off out of battery.

Is that correct?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manufactured ammo in this day and age is pretty well controlled compared to that of the past. Quality control usually ensures fairly consistent loads.

There is a possibility that the magazine was not fully locked into place.

A round did not properly feed, preventing the normally smooth transition from magazine into the chamber. Stress could have been placed on the rim when the second movement of the slide stripped the round from the magazine.

During the manufacturing process, the casing starts out as a solid piece of brass punched out of sheet material. The forming process takes several steps to form the case. The rim would normally be OK, but added stress could have cracked the area where the rim flows into the base.

This is all conjecture.

I have had feed problems with my Mark II using cheap ammunition, but never with the good stuff.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 11:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So between the magazine not being seated properly, and the slide being worked manually to force the cartridge, the rim itself could have become cracked, which could have blown out the mag.

Thanks very much for explaining to me your conjecture.

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe a round in the chamber not seated properly, your friend works the action stripping off a new round and the nose of the second round hits the first? A worn extractor on a rental gun would help that happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2008 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Not Currently Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had the same thing happen with a S&W 9mm. We had a round's casing blow out, slamming the slide back and dropping the mag. It was fine the rest of the day so I'm pretty sure it was just a bad round.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast