Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    jspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,709
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Know any good FMA videos?

    Does anyone know of any good FMA videos/clips? I've seen a lot of the Dog Bros. stuff and some other random stuff out there. Mostly i'm interested in instructional videos or videos od people training/sparring, or random demonstrations, but anything new is cool to check out.

    Mainly I just want to see what else is out there and how it differs from what I know. I've seen some stuff but it dosen't seem like there's a whole lot of FMA rescources out there, at least when you compare to all the other MA stuff available. I tried the search and didn't come up with any specifically FMA clips. What do you guys have?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog bros and Atienzas. The Sayoc Stickgrappling one.

    Ron Balicki's is a good study notes if you're already learning inosanto, but it's just him going down all the drills list-style. The dog Bros method is best in my opinion (Here's ONE drill. Here are variations of the drill. Here's how those applications play out in a fight).

  3. #3
    Matt Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've studied with Kelly Worden, and find his videos very easily understandable, very easy to assimilate the skills, good stuff all around.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    146
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kelly Worden's stuff is good but I have a liking for Dekiti Tirsia Siradas videos by Jerson "Nene" Tortal. I also enjoy quite a bit of the Pekiti Clips that are available on Youtube.

  5. #5
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Does anyone know of any good FMA videos/clips? I've seen a lot of the Dog Bros. stuff and some other random stuff out there. Mostly i'm interested in instructional videos or videos od people training/sparring, or random demonstrations, but anything new is cool to check out.

    Mainly I just want to see what else is out there and how it differs from what I know. I've seen some stuff but it dosen't seem like there's a whole lot of FMA rescources out there, at least when you compare to all the other MA stuff available. I tried the search and didn't come up with any specifically FMA clips. What do you guys have?
    Arsenio Advincula's three-dvd set is outstanding and has a ridiculous amount of material for the price. Look Here, it's the first source I could find for it. You could probably find it someone else cheaper...

    I agree that Kelly Worden's and Dog Bros' stuff is excellent too.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  6. #6
    jspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,709
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anybody post some clips here? I'm not lazy just busy (that's what i'll go with at least).

  7. #7
    It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy.... supporting member
    Dr._Tzun_Tzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Rene Latosa teaches "The Basic Principals of SHORT POWER"

    YouTube - Rene Latosa P-4

    These are from Rene Latosa's latest DVD set. Really quality material, though all instructional and no "free sparring".

    foom, foom, foom.....

    "If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc


  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    126
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hmm

    Short power? Seems a bit of an odd thing to emphasize. Going through with that backfist would do a decent amount of damage, at least empty-hand, and it allows you to flow into another strike (and another lead). And in the second video, why is he not taking the head? FMA does work the clinch.


    For empty-hand FMA, I like Rick Faye. He has two instructional DVDs and a book on Panantukan, Filipino Dirty Boxing. Most of the stuff is functional, but forget about being able to string together elaborate, fluid, Jason Bourne-type body manipulations and limb-destructions, unless your opponent is wowed into compliance. Faye's stuff has a good basis in boxing, but it's up to you to take the little dirty tricks, wrenches, and half-beat strikes and add them to your standup. I like to use it on my way to the clinch.

    Faye does, however, spend a bit of time doing patty-cake, just-for-fun, compliant flows. But (at least in person), he stresses that pulling something off would be rare-- it always comes back to having a good boxing game.

  9. #9
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    For empty-hand FMA, I like Rick Faye. He has two instructional DVDs and a book on Panantukan, Filipino Dirty Boxing. Most of the stuff is functional, but forget about being able to string together elaborate, fluid, Jason Bourne-type body manipulations and limb-destructions, unless your opponent is wowed into compliance. Faye's stuff has a good basis in boxing, but it's up to you to take the little dirty tricks, wrenches, and half-beat strikes and add them to your standup. I like to use it on my way to the clinch.

    Faye does, however, spend a bit of time doing patty-cake, just-for-fun, compliant flows. But (at least in person), he stresses that pulling something off would be rare-- it always comes back to having a good boxing game.
    & we all know about those Filipino boxers, now don't we? ^_^
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  10. #10
    It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy.... supporting member
    Dr._Tzun_Tzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Short power? Seems a bit of an odd thing to emphasize. Going through with that backfist would do a decent amount of damage, at least empty-hand, and it allows you to flow into another strike (and another lead).
    Follow through is something else, it is long power.

    Short power allows you to do a "flow" into something else faster, since it is shorter. It is also closer to the other limb, and thus is a power available to both sides of the torso very quickly.

    You need to be able to do both.


    Rene joked one time about how far in does a blade have to go anyway?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    in the second video, why is he not taking the head?
    It's a focus mitt drill. He zones combos at the head several times though starting at 1:03

    "If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc


Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO