Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 12:47am

Style: WrestlingMmaMuayThaiTkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What it limalama like?

i was wondering what limalama is like? Is it worth my time?

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 2:01am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have any reference? There are probably a few different things by that name including drills and subsystems in various styles. Also, since there are a few different ways to break that up, google searches will likely return little.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 7:38pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question, what do you qualify as "worth your time"?
    Do you want sparring, do you want self-defense, do you want something that's taught similar to how KMAs are trained, or are you just wondering if it's bullshido?

From what I've read, they're " mixed". They have stickfighting, trapping, pressure points, hand to hand ( duh), etc.
    From youtube vids I just think it looks like silat.

What I think is interesting though is the biography of the founder( http://limalama.net/Tinobio.htm) :
    In 1950, he served with in the U.S. Marine Corps and participated in the Inchon landing in Korea; in which he was cited and decorated.

Mr. Tino was a chief instructor in hand to hand combat training; not only for the Marines, but also Naval personnel and also participated in boxing and judo. As an amateur boxer he fought over 135 fights, winning 108 by knockout. Some of his titles included All Pacific Inter-School Boxing Conference, All Far East, All Pacific Inter-Service, All Armed Forces, Pan Pacific, All Martine, Fourteen Naval District, AAU, and Eleventh District Championships.
    Do some of his "titles" even exist?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:18pm

Style: WrestlingMmaMuayThaiTkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what i want out of it is effective self defense and something to cross train in. here is the website to the place http://www.wama-club.com/.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 3:13am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well judge for yourself:
    YouTube - lima lama
    YouTube - limalama martial arts Tho the finish of 1:02 is really effective.
    YouTube - DEFENSA PERSONAL IMUA LIMALAMA
    But vids shouldn't always be used to evaluate something. If you can have a free tryout class, take it, see if you like it. Though why you'd want it when you have Freestyle Yoga I'll never know.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The proper answer to this question has already been given.

Go try a class, and tell us what happened.

As to the art/style itself, it is similar to kempo-karate or any
    offshoot of kajukenbo in it's curriculum. A lot depends on the
    instructor, and what he has brought with him to the table.

It is a fairly hard style that depends a lot on power & speed,
    with emphasis on whatever the instructor trained in previously.

Keep in mind that these comments are general, and may not
    reflect the teaching in your area. Hence the, "go try a class."

`~/

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 2:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NOKAOI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lima Lama Is

From the early days of Lima Lama in 1965 this American martial art was developed by six men from different backgrounds in the arts. From Kenpo, Kung Fu, Lua, boxing were all inter-mixed to get the best out of each style or art. Go to the web site nokaoi-online.com and you will visit GM Richard Nunez one of the last of the six men who created the association of Lima Lama. Gm Nunez is still teaching and has blackbelts still teaching and training in Whittier, CA. As with many martial arts you have to see for yourself what is the difference and advantages for you. In the fellowship of the arts GM Nunez welcomes all martial artists in discussions of ideas and thoughts on the arts. In the website you find information for the place and times for classes and a whole host of pictures and information on the history of Lima Lama.

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 2:16am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to necro a thread but there is only one Grand Master in Limalama and that is Grand Master Tino Tuiolosega. That I cannot find Grand Master Tino's name even mentioned is a major problem. Never mind Nunez being referred to as GM.

As to the OP Limalama (sometimes spelt as Lima Lama) is a very good art BUT it can be difficult finding a good teacher. There was a major rash of belt selling going on at one point so now today we see people doing TKD or Karate or almost anything else and calling it Limalama. If you can give me the name of the person you are looking to train in Limalama with I can let you know if they are legit or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 10:45am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Sorry to necro a thread but there is only one Grand Master in Limalama and that is Grand Master Tino Tuiolosega. That I cannot find Grand Master Tino's name even mentioned is a major problem. Never mind Nunez being referred to as GM.

As to the OP Limalama (sometimes spelt as Lima Lama) is a very good art BUT it can be difficult finding a good teacher. There was a major rash of belt selling going on at one point so now today we see people doing TKD or Karate or almost anything else and calling it Limalama. If you can give me the name of the person you are looking to train in Limalama with I can let you know if they are legit or not.
    Post #3 mentions GM Tino

What I think is interesting though is the biography of the founder( http://limalama.net/Tinobio.htm)
    Post #7 lists Mr. Nuñez as GM of his No Ka Oi Lima Lama system

Go to the web site nokaoi-online.com and you will visit GM Richard Nunez one of the last of the six men who created the association of Lima Lama.
    It is not the same org. Mr. Nuñez parted ways with GM Tino, as did the other surviving founding member, Mr. Solomon Kaihewalu.

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 11:29am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My response was to post #7 I know Grand Master Tino was already mentioned in the thread but the No Ka Oi guy was not claiming to be an offshoot of Limalama. That post was claiming Limalama as their own. So I felt the need to point out that there is something wrong with their claim. I also wanted to offer aid in identifying good Limalama instructors. The videos above show why it is important to find a good Limalama teacher. There are a lot of fools out there claiming to teach Limalama and they have no idea what they are doing.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast