Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:20pm

Style: boxing noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weighted dips v Smith machine bench press

I know that other people, on this site and elsewhere, have asked about the relative merits of dips v bench press for strength development, but the replies are often contradictory and after reading them Iím no better informed. Iím hoping that someone here may have actually trained both exercises regularly and can help me out.

The gym I joined about a year ago has limited weight training facilities (plenty of cardio stuff), with only a Smith machine, a dip/chin station, some benches and a few sets of dumbbells. Iíve been benching on the Smith machine but, to be honest, Iím not keen (Iím used to free weights) and using dumbbells is a non-starter as the heaviest is a pair of 35kgs (Iím certainly no strong man but I like to work in the 5-8 rep range and these are too light). Lately, Iíve started to incorporate 3 x 10 of dips using bodyweight only (I weigh a flabby 220lbs) after benching and Iím considering making this my primary upper body pressing movement as I prefer the feel of the exercise. Iíve never done weighted dips and wondered what the more experienced strength guys think of them as a substitute for benching. Just to be clear Ė Iím interested in strength, not aesthetics.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:31pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd steer clear of benching on the smith machine. Even though it's supposedly designed ergonomically to mimic the proper arc of movement for the human body, there are small inconsistencies between individuals which, when amplified by high weight, could cause you an injury.

Also, weighted dips might not be the best way to go, either. Especially doing 3x10s. Those last few reps you'll be tired and start to lose your form. Once that happens, again, you open yourself up to injury.

You mentioned you're in it for the strength and not the aesthetic. There are much better pressing motions for upper body strength than the bench press or dips. I personally prefer a standing military press, usually just using one arm. This will develop the shoulders, the triceps, and to a lesser degree, the chest. That 35Kg dumbbell will be perfect, allowing you to develop a great deal of "functional" strength, (as opposed to beautiful strength?) Other good upper body exercises are the "bent press," dead lifts, and a nice slow standing curl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:37pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Other good upper body exercises are the "bent press," dead lifts, and a nice slow standing curl.
    You have the writing style of a wine critic.

Smith Machine Bench Presses suck...I got good definition from doing them for awhile, but my 'functional' strength greatly improved when I went back to barbell lifts.

When I switched- smith machine bp: 305lbs, then went to barbelll: 155lbs.

That's a big fucking difference, stablizing it yourself. Now my barbell BP is back up to 185-205, and my buck/roll, shoving the guy off from my open/closed guard to get back to my knees is waaaaaay stronger than before.

Anyhow, dips and the benchpress are totally different excercises. I don't see why you would pick just one to do in the first place.

Do the stronglifts 5x5 program, or any good weight training routing that involves both and other good excercises to fit with the same muscle groups. Squats and deadlifts have done wonders for my functional strength.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    35kg max dumbells? Get a new gym.

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:44pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    35kg max dumbells? Get a new gym.
    Agreed. Also, inject steroids into your eyeballs. I've heard that helps.

(I was only sarcastic in the second part of that post. Totally find a new gym.)
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFG - thanks. I do dumbell presses as well and you're right - they're a great exercise. I tend to do them seated though as I'm an old fart with a suspect back. I also deadlift and squat where possible.

Mein Fuhrer - Benches and dips do work similar muscle groups and many people use one or both to hit the pecs and triceps. I'm not familiar with the routine you mentioned but I'll look it up. Thanks.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 6:11pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Midget Hitler Santa
    You have the writing style of a wine critic.
    Is that so? How odd! Why, just the other day an associate of mine noted I had the sparkling wit, (no pun intended!) of wine critic Robert Parker! Also, one of my former clients happens to be in importer of fine Chilean wines known as "Pengwine." While they only produce a very limited number of crates per year I can assure you their blush is unrivaled!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh. You guys are right - it's a new gym for me. No more being the big fish in a little pond (damn it).

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 6:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like Smith machines for good reason. If possible, find a gym with decent power racks, bare benches, and a better selection of dumbbells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having read none of the posts, I'm going to say that weighted dips are one of the most awesome upper body exercises in existance, and anecdotally present the evidence that I have made some of the greatest gains in upper body strength using only the weighted dip and overhead press.

Having gone back and read the posts, I burst a blood vessel in my eye reading the word "functional strength" so many times.

Srsly guys, it's just strength.
    Last edited by Emevas; 12/13/2008 9:39pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast