Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee injury question

All right, all you wannabe doctors and health experts:

I hurt my knee at practice last night. I was on one knee inside someone's guard. My left leg was foot flat on the floor, knee bent at 90 degrees, as if I was proposing marriage someone. My partner did a strong scissor sweep chopping out my left leg (so impact was to the bottom/middle of the outside of my left leg, sweeping me and landing hard on top of me. Felt something shift/dislocate/tear/who knows in my left knee, left practice to ice and rest.

The good: I can stand normally without pain. I can even stand on just my left leg without pain. I can squat down pretty far without pain or discomfort. I'm not in any pain when at rest.

The bad: I can't bend my knee while walking. Essentially, although my knee can bend fine while I'm sitting, I can't do the bending motion you need to when lifting your leg forward to walk. Doesn't really hurt...just doesn't go. Also buckles/feels loose if I have to try to rotate my bent knee sideways for some reason.

It's my understanding that a serious ligament tear has a lot of swelling. When I sprained my ankle badly a few months ago it ballooned up hugely. THis is nothing like that, I have almost no swelling, and no bruising. Any thoughts, other than "see a doctor!"? If it doesn't improve a lot in a couple days I'll end up doing that I'm sure. Just looking for short time piece of mind, I suppose. Thanks.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *shakes magic 8-ball*

Knee locks up and doesn't bend under pressure? I'm guessing a serious meniscus tear.
    If it swells up in the next few days, though, my bet changes to ACL.

Either way, it's not going to get better on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It bends under pressure, in that I can squat. And as far as joint locking goes, while sitting I can fully bend or straighten it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 4:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *re-reads*

But not while walking. And if you bend your knee while walking, you're probably doing it when pulling your leg forward to prepare for the next step, at which time it's unloaded.

Something doesn't add up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess would be a meniscus tear, based on how mine feels/felt. Either way, you need to have it looked at and avoid training of any kind until you do. Knees injuries have a way of turning into much worse knee injuries if they aren't properly taken care of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 8:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am having some of improvement as far as motion goes, plus a tiny bit of localized swelling making me thing it's a damaged, but hopefully not completely torn, MCL. Could be much worse, as best I understand these things. My thanks to H to the Izzo and SunTzu for poking their heads in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2009 12:57am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like a meniscus injury to me. get it checked out by a sports doctor. you could also have done your mcl in. which isn't sooo bad. it tends to heal it self if you rest for 6 weeks.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    glad it's starting to feel better, but i would say it's probably the meniscus. maybe the MCL. i would get to an orthopedist asap.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 2:14pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have these really cool places you go when your hurt and need advice I just can't think of it right now I will get back later when I remember.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    1/09/2009 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    They have these really cool places you go when your hurt and need advice I just can't think of it right now I will get back later when I remember.
    lol

but seriously, don't try to be a hardass tough guy. i could write a book on all the people i have seen get knee and ankle injuries in the 17 years i've been involved in sports. every single one of the guys that thought they could rest it up and play it through wound up having the doctors basically call them a dumbass for not coming in sooner.

but, i'll take off my mommy hat and let you do what you think is best.