Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 1:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno mate but I seriously doubt anyone on behalf of Hojustu-Ryu will respond, for fear of having their delicate sensitivities offended by opposing opinions or nasty people on the internet.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 1:29pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    This bit really makes be balk:The irony of a guy proclaiming to the world that being inducted into a hall of fame, graded to 10th dan by a circle-jerking organisation and using the term "soke" to mean founder of an art is off the chart.

Soke doesn't mean "founder"
    You buy your way into a hall of fame
    You buy your 10th dan certificate and title of soke.
    Yeah I really don't take those Hall of Fame organisations to serious. I know a self proclaimed Grandmaster that has a whole wall of these types of Soke certifcates and Hall of Fame plaques. That alone killed it for me. He should of just used the name Hojutsu and left it at that.......:qleft2:I will stick with my shooting style instead.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 1:37pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know mate, the concept of mashing together a reasonable means of weapon retention and other jujutsu (type or based) waza with good quality marksmanship skills isn't a bad idea however; it isn't a new one either.

Attempting to merge the trappings of Japanese martial art gradings/belts/titles with modern day marksmanship is fucking ridiculous which ever way it's spun. But, if the H2H and marksmanship certification were kept separate, then I wouldn't see an issue with the merging of those things into a single system run by a "Chief Instructor".

Like that article I posted explains, there's no reasonable excuse to use an obscure, old and and misused Japanese term when perfectly good and easily understood English words exist. Obviously for the founder of Hojutsu Ryu, that isn't enough for him. He needs to be edified as a "Grandmaster" and that it's self is bullshit.

The question begs why use a Japanese name of a supposed martial system he's created if not to appeal to people's sense of getting something different when the reality may be quite different. Like I said in an earlier post, Gimmick springs to mind.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 2:46pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What ^he^ said.

The thing the poster defending this school doesn't seem to understand is that we are not really questioning the skills. We have nothing to base THAT on. What we are skeptical of is the "martial arts trappings" of something that is being done all over the place without them. A gimmick is all i can make of it as well. Unless someone want's to explain how it is otherwise.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 3:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    What ^he^ said.

The thing the poster defending this school doesn't seem to understand is that we are not really questioning the skills. We have nothing to base THAT on. What we are skeptical of is the "martial arts trappings" of something that is being done all over the place without them. A gimmick is all i can make of it as well. Unless someone want's to explain how it is otherwise.
    He understood that and fell into the "respect" strawman that all TMAers wear like a badge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 10:44am

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my endeavor to an armed citizen, a "traditional" martial artist that practices the sport of MMA and zazen training (the practice of sitting Zen/Ch'an/Dyhana meditation, in a Soto Zen Buddhist zendo) I appreciate the concepts of Hojustu. Due to Jeff Hall's distinguished record of public service and experience I accept his legitimate marketing ploy of his own rank in his own contemporary martial arts package.

When you meet a Buddha or a wise sage on the road, "kill" the notion of following, learn from that person and blaze your own path, incorporating what's useful and ignore what is not and, if called up, help someone else to become less-confused.

I observed that Jeff Hall likes proficiency with selective-fire carbines and revolvers: interesting since I also like 308 semi-auto carbines and 357 & 44 revolvers.

on a final note, think you like karate or kungfu? then step-in to the fine sport of MMA and hone your traditional martial art(s) with modern applications of pain: sweat, bruises, and broken bones exacted from the competitors will strength your mind.
    Last edited by charlie echo; 3/12/2012 10:51am at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234