Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 10:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, boxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BFM,

There is nothing wrong with asking the questions. I initially posted a very polite response that I know the guy. That resulted in pithy comments about Jeff Hall. The other posts spin and twist to find reasons to slam Jeff Hall. That is why it seems there is a agenda. If that is a common "defense", then maybe there is a reason for it.

It was stated that Jeff Hall seems to be shaming people. I stated he was not. The posts implied that he was not respectable. I stated otherwise. There is nothing wrong with asking. If someone wants to get snarkey with pithy comments, I will address those comments.

Your post seemed professional (for the most part), and I hope that my reply is just as polite. However, it is clear that other posters were not knowledgeable about the subject. They did however claim that "red flags" made it OK to be rude and slam someone they have never met. I consider myself knowledgeable on the both the subject matter and the man. He is NOT a close friend, business associate, or even a man I train with on a regular basis. He is a former Army Ranger, Retired Police officer, and trainer of law enforcement officers around the country.

I started with a polite opinion. As comments get rude, I will respond accordingly. It is ridiculous to make snide comments and then accuse others of being thin skinned. If they don't want sharp comments, then they shouldn't start them.

That is what makes the real motive obvious. The only reason to keep attacking this thread is to attack Jeff Hall.

My original post still stands.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 12:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by den5coat View Post
    So I guess MY opinion is not welcome on Bullshido. Welcome indeed. I spoke up for Jeff Hall. Period. That clearly was not welcome here.

I posted to demonstrate that Jeff Hall is NOT "Scientology, Mormonism, ghosts, Frank Dux, Aliens and whatever else".

No one is advertising anything. I did NOT begin this thread.
    You posted a commercial and your feelings got hurt when people disagreed. I posted to say your appeal to authority will not work here as smart people can and will believe anything. That was directed at YOU and your appeal to authority not John Hall.

BFM is utterly wrong. If you bought an advertising package no one could comment on the ads. They would have to start a thread, like this one, to complain or critique.

As for passive/aggressive, I clearly made no challenges. You can try to make it look otherwise, but that is not the case. I suggested you try a course. If you think it might be crap, take the pepsi challenge and form your own opinion. Then again, that is not your goal, is it?
    Yes, you did. You told people to go visit Jeff and with the wrong attitude he can shoot. Yes, that is a passive aggressive challenge or a threat depending on who reads the post.

Interesting that YOU have mentioned a thick skin. You seem to be missing it yourself. You can dish it out though. I think it is obvious what you are trying to accomplish here. There is clearly an agenda here on Bullshido.
    You have the agenda. You excpeted people to defer to you opinion and now you are complaining. I find it ironic that the only one trying to stifle opinions, with passive aggressive threats and tattling, is you.
    I commented on YOUR second post and said nothing about John Hall or his style. So, what is obvious is that you do not like dissent or differing opinions. When you can't handle the responses people are suddenly hiding, and you are going to "tell."

BTW, I think Clint Smith will be interested to hear that Thunder Ranch was used to slam Jeff Hall. I don't think he would like that very much. Maybe, he will be passive/aggressive too. Tell him I said hello.
    I hope he does show up and then I show him your butthurt on the internet. I discussed YOUR post and appeal to authority. I said nothing about John Hall. So, when or if he decides to post, I hope he will be up for discussion and not trying to stifle opinions or get angry at dissent like you.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/22/2011 12:20am at .

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 1:53am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

BFM is utterly wrong. If you bought an advertising package no one could comment on the ads. They would have to start a thread, like this one, to complain or critique.
    I don't see how that really provides any protection.

I mean it would have brought him into the line of fire a little more subtly, being as he would have gotten a little bit of respect earned of tops for supporting the site, but you know as well I do that Bullshido will eat it's own members, advertisers, and sponsors when it comes to bullshit, lies or questionable material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 2:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I don't see how that really provides any protection.
    Who said protection? If he wanted something that people can't respond to buy a banner ad. It will remain unadulterated and no one can render an opinion directly on it, in it, or around the ad without starting a thread.

I mean it would have brought him into the line of fire a little more subtly, being as he would have gotten a little bit of respect earned of tops for supporting the site, but you know as well I do that Bullshido will eat it's own members, advertisers, and sponsors when it comes to bullshit, lies or questionable material.
    You know as well as I do that banner ad crap is so prevalent only noobs care. It has been that way for years.

As I don't like to **** up this forum I am out. Any complaints can be taken up with the mods of this sub-forum.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Who said protection? If he wanted something that people can't respond to buy a banner ad.
    I knew what you meant I was trying to clarify for the sake of den5coat and his misconception of what he may have thought was happening.

It will remain unadulterated and no one can render an opinion directly on it, in it, or around the ad without starting a thread.
    No argument there.
    You know as well as I do that banner ad crap is so prevalent only noobs care. It has been that way for years.
    I thought he would have to talk to google to get a banner add ?

As I don't like to **** up this forum I am out. Any complaints can be taken up with the mods of this sub-forum.
    Aye, probably wise on my part as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 10:27am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by den5coat View Post
    Well, this is why I don't post to these things very often. I know the guy and I am willing to put myself out there and put in a good word for him. It seems that I can always find cyber-space "experts" that seem to only look for a way to sound self-important.
    Is that what you think I am.. a cyber-space "expert" that seem to only look for a way to sound self-important. ?

I guess my military service dating back to 1983, my service on operational tours of both domestic and middle eastern theatre and, my own "expert" qualification on several weapon systems doesn't count toward an informed opinion. I guess my continuing study of legitimate koryu doesn't count either.

I guess my kenshusei apprenticeship (Japanese instructor qualification) and my time training in Japan isn't relevant and I guess my middle senior dan grades gained over a considerable amount of time training in Japanese MA is a redundant aspect of my ability to form an opinion and, express it,

I guess the fact that I speek a moderate amount of Japanese and therefore understand a little more about the language and how it's mis-used in the west relating to MA isn't important either.

In terms of your general ad hominem, it's obvious that you don't like my opinion, frankly I couldn't give a **** if you do, don't think you're going to be taken seriously *if*, as soon as someone offers an opinion that sticks in your throat somewhat, you retort with an insult.

You're lucky I'm in a benevolent mood.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/22/2011 10:32am at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 10:36am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To return to topic...

den5coat:

I'm not a big shooter. It's a skill I'm hoping to improve some this year. I read the Black Belt Magazine article and I noted it was written by Masaad Ayoob, a firearms expert and writer. I was still left scratching my head about melding the shooting instruction with the trappings of a Japanese Gendai Budo.

Can you explain to me what is the added the value of wearing keikogi, awarding kyu/dan ranks, and using Japanese titles (such as "soke") for learning shooting? I haven't seen any videos, so I'm not certain what other Budo influences there are in Hojutsu Ryu. Are there kata? I was under the impression there are kata. That doesn't mean everyone is using the term "kata" the same way.

I'll be honest, these "red flags" -- as others have put it -- are things I'm trying to move away from in my training. I doubt I'll choose Hojutsu Ryu, but I'm trying to understand what the thinking is behind the choices they've made. Thank you.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 11:33am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hojutsu Ryu website
    Master Yamazaki caused my internal light to come on regarding the similarity in firearms and other martial training; I then set out to make modern shooting a recognized martial art.

There were initially three reasons to do so:

• to recognize the years of dedicated training it takes to master firearms,
    • to integrate other weapons (hands, feet, sticks, knives) into the warrior’s gear bag, and

• to strive for excellence in firearms training.
    Using that same logic (if logic is the correct term) I should strive to have service in the Armed Forces recognised as a martial art ... As a professional soldier in the service of my Commander in Chief, I should call myself a modern-day "Samurai". The day I leave the services I should resort to using the term "Ronin"

As an instructor of Infantry training within my unit, that should qualify me as minimum of Shihan and a black belt rank of at least 8th dan. however; I'm sure with the proper application of money, I can get some circle-jerk organisation like these to grant me the title of Soke and print me a 10th dan certificate in something I make up myself.

Yes, That all sounds legitimate and not at all fucking ridiculous to me.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 11:39am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...And if you can't be bothered to read the wiki entry on Sokeship organisations, at least educate yourself on what the term soke actually means

Specifically the last paragraph
    In concluding, it is difficult to condone the use of obscure Japanese terminology to describe American social practices for which perfectly acceptable English words already exist. One must struggle to imagine how any non-Japanese could call himself a "soke" in English except as a joke.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 12:11pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shooting is a martial art? Sure it is.

But "martial art" in the Japanese Budo sense with all the baggage of titles, ranks, uniforms and so on? I don't know about that.

The "if its oriental looking its better" thing with the martial arts is one of my "bullshido triggers" especially if the art originated with an American. And anyways, what is the use of wearing gi's in a "shooting martial art"? Modern shooting art necessitates holsters, magazine pouches, and "outdoor clothes". The whole martial art costume thing leaves me skeptical. As does the need to apply an oriental titling structure. It seems like a gimmick to elevate this mans name and school above all the other shooting schools and tactical instructors that are out there.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast