Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i posted in the wrong place - IGNORE

hi

If this thread is in the wrong place i appologise.

i've been a fan of bjj for about 2 years but only started training recently. I have only been to 5 sessions (1 hour each).

what is the general game plan from the guard? and (in very general terms) how is this achieved? (in terms of grips, breaking opponents posture, moving hips)

i was grappling with a guy who is bigger, stronger and a little more experienced than me, and he was constantly forcing my arms into bad positions and getting grips. I tried to pull his elbows and use my hips to get him off balance so i could maybe attempt a kimura or sweep, but he seemed too big and strong to be significantly affected by my efforts.

My very limited technique is obviously a problem, but either way i seemed to just exhaust my legs and abs just trying to prevent him from establishing control... was i just relying on strength too much? or does grappling against big guys when on your back tire you out very quickly?

any advice of any kind is greatly appreciated. sorry for the first post essay ;-)
    Last edited by Memento18poker; 12/12/2008 1:01pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just train. Specific technical advice isn't going to do much for you till you're a bit more experienced.

Also, jnp is just about to yell at you for posting this in DHS. Try not to take it too personally.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks, you're right about the training, i guess i'm jumping the gun a bit.

where should i post this instead?

sorry for the spamming

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Memento18poker
    where should i post this instead?
    This forum is for specific technical grappling queries and discussion, more general newbie-type questions go in Guantanamo Bay.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok thanks

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Pointy has already said, just go to training and listen to what your instructors say.

You're going to get tapped a lot, don't take it to heart and don't treat every spar like it's a life or death fight or you'll end up injuring people.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 2:18pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea man you're too much of a newbie for any specific advice to really help. There isn't going to be a magic technique that makes you good from the guard (or any position). It's way more about A: finesse of the technique and getting all the details right, and B: timing.

But yea all i'll say is work in combos. From any position, it's not "alright, try this -- ok that didn't work. alright i'll try this, nope that didn't work either". It's "go for this, ok they defended this way so i'm going to respond this way".

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 hours into grappling is a little early to worry about combos. Just really concentrate on the basics -- getting to and holding positions, etc. As others have said, it's too early to give you specific advice here as you're still so new to grappling that you're going to improve dramatically even in the next few months as long as you train seriously under a good coach.

Good luck!
    El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 9:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the stickies at the top of each forum before you post Memento18poker.

I know that's not what people expected, but I'm having trouble posting my original post that had a link in it.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2008 11:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Memento18poker
    hi

If this thread is in the wrong place i appologise.

i've been a fan of bjj for about 2 years but only started training recently. I have only been to 5 sessions (1 hour each).

what is the general game plan from the guard? and (in very general terms) how is this achieved? (in terms of grips, breaking opponents posture, moving hips)

i was grappling with a guy who is bigger, stronger and a little more experienced than me, and he was constantly forcing my arms into bad positions and getting grips. I tried to pull his elbows and use my hips to get him off balance so i could maybe attempt a kimura or sweep, but he seemed too big and strong to be significantly affected by my efforts.

My very limited technique is obviously a problem, but either way i seemed to just exhaust my legs and abs just trying to prevent him from establishing control... was i just relying on strength too much? or does grappling against big guys when on your back tire you out very quickly?

any advice of any kind is greatly appreciated. sorry for the first post essay ;-)
    Sounds to me like you're not using your testicles. You don't have any? Try growing a pair.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast