United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 10:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defending the D'Arce choke from Half-Guard

Hey guys, i've been training alot lately, and have been mostly able to figure out most of my grappling questions, however, one submission in particular has been MURDERING me.

I have Homeboy in my half guard, and i have the underhook. Then bam, d'arce choke. This guy's a blue belt, and when i ask him about defending i get, "just don't go into it!". I've been getting subbed left and right (by the two people who actually know this submission)

It just seems so...wrong. I like underhooking from half guard and working for the back. Its a pretty money more for me, but this choke shuts me down every time. The only thing i can really do to stop it is to keep my shoulder tight to his body, but sometimes i get sloppy...

Do you guys have any decent escapes/experiences with this choke? I've found that posting my knee in front has helped stave off the choke for a bit, but its not a solution to the problem.

I appreciate any responses, thanks.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 10:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha, I've been subbing people left and right with this lately. If you're going to keep the underhook against someone who's good with the D'Arce, you'll need to either keep their head well past your own with the underhook so they can't reach for your head without compromising their own base, or make space with the underhook by moving your elbow away from your body while keeping it planted in THEIR ribs so that they can't reach far enough around your head to wrap up the D'Arce.

That's a bit simplified, but I have too many tasks today to go into further detail right now.
    Last edited by jnp; 12/06/2008 11:08am at . Reason: replaced the word "your" with "THEIR" as it is an important detail

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 10:45am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ what jnp said.

I avoid it by only sticking my head in close to their body if I'm shooting under for the roll-over sweep
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been trying this out myself from Aesopian's site:

http://www.aesopian.com/198/trogs-sweeps-ldhgdhg/

(1:50 into the video)

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 2:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was really awesome, thanks sunchips!

JNP, i didn't particularly understand your post, but i got some of the details. I'll be sure to try this sunday, as Murderous D'arce Guy is teaching class. (he's a fantastic teacher, btw)

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are getting it hit on you all the time, my opinion is you have a problem with your half guard and underhook.

Try a two on one on the far arm, to stop the cross face and control his distance/involvement with that hand. That alone should make him too uncomfortable to think about subbing you from just there.

Also, as you fish the underhook, bump him in the ass with your top knee, knocking his head forward along with his base. That should put you out of any danger zone as well and give you plenty of room to backdoor/get to your knees, where you will no doubt be swept again and have to recover half guard. :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 5:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    If you are getting it hit on you all the time, my opinion is you have a problem with your half guard and underhook.

Try a two on one on the far arm, to stop the cross face and control his distance/involvement with that hand. That alone should make him too uncomfortable to think about subbing you from just there.

Also, as you fish the underhook, bump him in the ass with your top knee, knocking his head forward along with his base. That should put you out of any danger zone as well and give you plenty of room to backdoor/get to your knees, where you will no doubt be swept again and have to recover half guard. :p
    This sounds pretty solid, i'm going to try this too

I agree with moosey

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 11:27pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    JNP, i didn't particularly understand your post, but i got some of the details. I'll be sure to try this sunday, as Murderous D'arce Guy is teaching class. (he's a fantastic teacher, btw)
    I said this,
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    you'll need to either keep their head well past your own with the underhook so they can't reach for your head without compromising their own base
    Gabe said this,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    Also, as you fish the underhook, bump him in the ass with your top knee, knocking his head forward along with his base.
    We said the same thing, in a different manner.
    Shut the hell up and train.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/06/2008 11:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh.

I guess Gabe says things better then you :P (kidding. Please don't D'arce me)

I agree with moosey

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 9:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing that got me out of my D'Arce choke rut (on the receiving end :-P) was 2 things:

-Keeping the non-underhooked hand close to my face to possibly block/control my opponent's arm (prevent it from shooting under my head) while I am trying to burrow under them. Once I am burrowed and under their base, I can work (another restatement of what jnp and Gabetuno said I think)

-Worked on my rudder to work to back, guard, or knees as a last resort.

That's just what helped me work past that phase. There was 1 guy who EVERY single time would lock on the D'Arce or Bravo. Nothing like gurgling to get you to work on your defense.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast