Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 8:08pm

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Air usually does pretty good from my experiences. Open them up as wide as possible and if you need to aim a fan in there. Air, lots and lots of air over a decent while.

But yeah on prevention, I wouldn't just leave them sitting, soaking at the bottom of zipped up in a gym bag when they're not in use. They need to hang.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 9:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you MUST leave them in a zipped up gym bag, at least put a box of the freezer flow-through Baking Soda in there to absorb the moisture.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 11:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For day-to-day stink control, I keep a pair of deodorizing sneaker balls in my gloves. I look for the kind with baking soda and maybe a little good smell to them. Do not go for the country fresh flowers... your sparring partners will look at you funny. I'll also wipe them down with the Purell wipes after an especially intense workout.

I've found that once gloves 'go rancid', they are gone. The stink just gets too far into them and no matter what I tried they wouldn't recover: washer and then dryer, stuff them with cedar chip pouches and dry them, bleach (don't touch eyes afterwards... it hurts), even as far as wash them and pack them with kitty litter. Those were my favorite gloves though and it was sad to see them go. I miss them :-(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 12:32am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, its more or less true, once a pair of gloves have gone "bad" there's really no cure.

I stuff my gloves with newspaper to dry them out(quick and cheap). I start pouring alcohol(get the liquid kind not the gels ones) down it the next day. It helps. The parts that stink most are the finger and thumb areas so get the alcohol there.

Yes gloves are made of leather but the insides are foam/cotton padding so i wouldn't worry too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 3:24am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    c4t5 I wash my knee sleeves just about every day. Just air them in the garage (do you have one? if not, just get some PVC pipe or such and make an airing stand, let them air dry).
    On gloves, same thing, Lysol them every time, then put them on PVC pipes in the garage to air dry till the next night. I spray extra lysol into my hand and work it around the finger area. I also make sure to wear hand wraps to help absorb things while I train.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 4:21am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fill up some socks with baking soda and suff them in the gloves.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 5:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, those knee pads are handwash only, the only draw back for them...:cry: So I wash them every week but not every day. But I air them out properly.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 12:19pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm yeah, the ones I get are the reversible Asics padded knee sleeves, they're neoprene so I just wash them every day and let them air dry. They seem to last pretty well, I've replaced one that I split the pad on (back when my 'shot' sucked worse than now ;p) in the last year. (sorry for the tangent mods)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123