Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 5:51am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Scope for Springfield 1903

I want to get a scope for my 1903, but not just any scope will do. I want to get an authentic, old-school military scope for it (or at least a good quality replica of one). However, I have no idea what scope that would be. I found on some other forum someone mention an 8x Unertl target scope, but I don't know if that's right. These rifles were used for a long time, and had several different set-ups. In fact, I'm pretty sure that mine was one of the first models (just the plain old 1903), and was never used as a sniper rifle like the A3 and A4 were.

Anybody have any suggestions for a scope? Or, since it never had a scope mounted during its service should I just leave it like it is and not **** with it?

As an aside, I read a couple of posts on other forums where people said that firing the early models with modern ammo could be dangerous. Is there any truth to this?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 6:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I may just go ahead with the Unertal (if I can find/afford one). Just look at this monster:

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 2:38am

Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/ Try this site, they should have what you need. or be able to tell you where to find it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    As an aside, I read a couple of posts on other forums where people said that firing the early models with modern ammo could be dangerous. Is there any truth to this?
    I can't imagine it being an issue with the strength of the barrell.

Perhaps an issue of head spacing. Was there any mention of that?

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 8:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    I can't imagine it being an issue with the strength of the barrell.

Perhaps an issue of head spacing. Was there any mention of that?
    No. Nothing specific. Just that it was dangerous.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search shows:

http://www.auctionarms.com/Help/Foru...ubjectID=13258

read gun nut Bob's post.

My father built many hunting rifles based around surplus 03 and Mauser 98 actions. He also loaded pretty hot rounds.

If you're in doubt, a search with the serial number will give you the time frame of when the rifle was built (if it's in it's original configuration). The barrell will have a proofmark and will let you know the manufacturer of the actual barrell in case it's been swapped out.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2008 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that you've already touched on one of your better bets---roll with the Unertal. Problem is...they are pricey. I normally don't mess around with a lot of Milsurp and this is but one of many reasons. You never know what you're going to get---if the weapon was used/abused/built beyond its specs (or not to specs) or if the ammo was double-charged from the arsenal (quality control wasn't great back then---especially when it comes to foreign ammo). But from a historical standpoint, I think that they are cool as hell as I think of them as collecting a piece of history---but (at heart) I'm one of those "risk vs. reward" types when it comes to shooting old weapons with questionable (or modern) ammunition. I can't count the times that I've tied a string to a trigger, wrapped the stock in a towel, and wedged the gun into a tree stump or something and pulled the trigger from 20 yards away...lol. If it works perfectly--yeah, I've got a neat shooting old gun. If it doesn't work perfectly...I've put my cheek and head next to a potential hand grenade. Don't get me wrong---I know that I've over-simplified and really exaggerated the issue with many milsurp guns...but to me personally, I like them more as conversation pieces rather than a functional part of my self-defense arsenal. :qtank:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 5:43am

Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally dream of the day when they will offer 1903's from the CMP again.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2008 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by by-the-throat
    I personally dream of the day when they will offer 1903's from the CMP again.
    What disgusts me is that I can remember getting DCM guns (Garands/Carbines/Springfields) for $100. LOL