Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 3:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Free Style Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flexibility in your workout?

After a recent training seminar with jujitsu and pot smoking legend Eddie Bravo I realized more then ever the importance of flexibility and range of motion in grappling/mma competition and I was looking to get some advice, techniques, routines etc. (besides the normal stuff) that other people use and how much do you focus on flexibility in your workouts? Since Eddies seminar I have focused a great deal on it (45-60 min each day) and my ground game has greatly improved. Here is a video link to his ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LgZCXCf0lk

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 6:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a Pre workout stretch and a post workout stretch. About 20 minutes total. I workout 5 days a week so about an hour a week or so.

I think that it a very important part of it, but an hour a day seems like a bit much.
    A book I use for a routine is "Ultimate Flexibility" by somebody. I cant remember his name...Sun Park Kim or something.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 3:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing-Chun/ Maui Tai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Streching has always been a time of partial meditation for me, it helps to relax the body.

It will help you, but mostly in staying focused better, so that you think its really helping you gain.

I really dont stretch any more. Mabey a few times a week, and mabey for like 10-15 mins a time. Then again, Im really not training in MMA right now anyway.

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 3:18pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have helped several friends with stretching.. being a big man myself and having excellent flexibility realy helps my game. Its like having the best of both worlds.

One.. I stretch every day after workout.. I cool off.. grab my towell and my water and sit on my ass for 10 minutes stretching and BSing with my partners.

Two.. Jump rope at home and do a basic work out .. sit ups.. push ups.. get a swet going THEN STRETCH.. What I find to be the perfect routine is to watch say.. a foot ball game..
    Every comercial do a blitz.. get the heart rate up and get those muscles wormed up..
    Then as your watching the game.. crack your beer and eat your dorritos inbetween hits off the bong while you stretch.. rinse and repeat.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is good stuff. I'm tight as a drum. I'm going to try to take stretching more seriously.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 10:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scott Sonnon's Intu-Flow and Prasara are ideal flexibility and range of motion , as well as rehab and recovery programs for fighters.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie was the one who got me stretching. I do yoga in a class at least 2x a week on my own once or twice, stretch before class and during instruction.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this was common knowledge, but if you want to improve your range of motion, don't do it before your training. Your muscles still have work to do, so it's better to focus on moving through your existing range of motion than expanding it by inducing microtearing.

Immediately after a workout should be fine, and I've been doing a "stretchdown" before bed for a few weeks now. Seems to be working okay.

Also, Joe DeFranco (the Westside For Skinny Bastards guy) has a pair of articles about stretching on his site - I've read the first one, and it was quite interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 11:58am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah you can hurt yourself if you do serious stretching before warming up.. some light joint stretching is all I do pre-workout
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi, here's some important tips:

Warm ups and pre workout:
    Loosen up the body and get the muscles engorged with blood, but do not stretch for increased Range of Motion (ROM), but only to loosen up!

once warmed up:
    Strech out comfortably and proceed to working out. Do not go out side of your comfortable ROM during workout too often or you will suffer a strain or pull

After workout:
    at least once a week do active and passive AGGRESIVE flexibility training. Create a flexibility training regimine as you would a strength training regimine, with at least 2 days of recovery per muscle group.
    Increase amplitude in your ROM gradually during your workouts, and avoid jerking movements in your stretching exercises.

Remember:
    Flexibility training is just like strength training in that the muscle fibers have been torn and need recovery time. During recovery time, do not over use that muscle group that was trained, in order to prevent injury and to recover quickly.

In flexibility training, you will see results in about 8 weeks.

a good resource for muscle flexiblity training is the book Rhythmic Gymnastics by Jastrjembskaia and Titov, in cooperation wtih USA Gymnastics.

Pages129 - 133 have scientific and cutting edge information on Flexibility training. The studies that they used to pull their information on Flexibility training from were studies conducted by the top National teams in the International Gymnastics Federation - so you pretty much can rely on this information and one of if not the top sources available.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast