View Poll Results: Attending?
- 12. You may not vote on this poll
Thread: Atlanta Throwdown January 10th
12/14/2008 9:49am, #11
- Join Date
- Mar 2006
for the 10th?
12/14/2008 8:33pm, #12
sweet, looks like we've got a thing going here :)
12/17/2008 12:27am, #13
Notice to anyone attending this throwdown
On the date planned one of the kickboxing teams will be doing there team training from noon-1pm. I mentioned the throwdown to Matt, the kickboxing coach, and he thought it would be a great opportunity for the people on his team to get some experience sparring new people if anyone was interested.
On that note...
The rules for this throwdown
1. This is NOT an MMA/muay thai smoker or anything of that sort. If your goal here is to really test your skills and see how you fair in an MMA/muay thai fight then a throwdown is NOT what you're looking for. I recommend you immediately contact a local fight promoter and get yourself an amateur match. The throwdown is for people from bullshido to get together and spar.
2. Everyone must wear a mouth guard, 16oz boxing or 8oz MMA sparring gloves, headgear and shin guards. The gym managers are generally fairly strict about wearing proper safety gear. If you don't own headgear or boxing gloves, I'm sure there will be someone you can borrow from.
3. Keep things controlled and friendly and keep your egos in check. We're all here to beat each other up, but try to have a little sportsmanship and don't just try and show off or be a jerk because you want to show up the karate guy or show the MMA goon he's not so tough... or whatever people's silly throwdown agendas might be.
4. If you're going to do MMA sparring, at least one of you needs to have some level of competency in grappling. Please don't be a hapkido guy pairing up with a taekwondo guy for some "MMA" sparring so you can earn your throwdown fist. It's stupid and makes everyone look bad.
Well I think that should about cover it, if anyone has anything they'd like to add feel free :)
12/17/2008 12:59am, #14
- Join Date
- Nov 2008
are there any 155 - 165 lb guys gonna be there for mma sparring
12/17/2008 1:37pm, #15
12/17/2008 3:01pm, #16Originally Posted by fight247In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.
12/18/2008 9:52am, #17Originally Posted by KidSpatula
I'm guessing you won't have a scale but, how much lighter can the gloves go? I have the 16oz boxing but my heaviest MMA are 7oz. Do the shin guards have to have instep protection? etc?
12/18/2008 11:55am, #18
I'm not going to go around checking everyone's gloves for what exact ounces they are, just try and be a little reasonable. I just don't want to see people sparring with dipped foam karate gear. I actually have 2 pairs of 8oz MMA sparring gloves that people can use if they need to.
12/18/2008 12:36pm, #19
Thanks. The more protectionthe better as I will probably be overusing the deflect the jab with face technique.
12/19/2008 12:17am, #20Originally Posted by BadUglyMagicIn summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.