I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 6:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why can't I do**%*## S-Mount

I can set it up. I can get mount, grape vine and crush the guy, keep my weight low and get my knees in under their arms (in their armpits) all the time keeping my weight on them, but when I try and get my leg under I have to lift my hip and lose the crushingness(tm) and often get swept.

One blue belt I asked to help me said, "well maybe you're just not flexible enough and s-mount isn't your thing"

While it's true I have the flexibility of dry spaghetti, I am still convinced I can do this.

Anythoughts on keeping my crushingness(tm) on them while I bring the leg up and under their head?

Many thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 7:03pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not much of a mount player, I prefer side control and back; however, when I do try to transition to S-mount, it's usually from side-control.

Oddly enough, my instructor actually covered this a few weeks ago.

Go for a gi choke from side control (if on their right side, sneak your left hand onto their left lapel while fishing your right hand under their right arm and just under the collar. From here, you have a choke, and if you get it, finish it (durr); however, a great option is to wait until they start to reach over with their left arm while turning into you in order to resist the choke. That's the perfect time to swing your right leg over their shoulder and comfortably under their head for a nice and tight S mount (if not, swing your left leg around the raising arm for an arm bar), just don't forget during the transition that your left leg needs to be planted too, from here, you can just roll to your back, plant your left leg against their hip while you do it and use it for a bit of leverage, and enjoy the triangle.

Edit: I think I should mention that I'm super flexible...granted, I don't think the move above requires much at all.
    Last edited by Yojimbo1717; 12/09/2008 7:08pm at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have horrible flexability and I get S-mount all the time.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could try grabbing under his head and arm and pull him towards you while you work your leg under.

Or stretch your hip outs

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 7:36pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    You could try grabbing under his head and arm and pull him towards you while you work your leg under.
    This is probably the best answer for you at this point in time. Also, keep in mind that if you are getting swept, you might need to back your balance point off to the side a little.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/09/2008 7:38pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 10:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan

Or stretch your hip outs
    Always pull the head up when you're ready to move your leg. This virtually eliminates your opponent's ability to upa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    This is probably the best answer for you at this point in time. Also, keep in mind that if you are getting swept, you might need to back your balance point off to the side a little.
    Excellent advice. Sit on the pectoral region opposite the side of the leg you move.

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 10:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I see what you guys are saying and that makes a lot of sense. I think thats my big mistake in that I am trying to bring my leg in but not shifting to the side and there's no way to do that with out creating space and relieving pressure.

This Thursdays class secret mission is S mount

Thanks for the advice, the BJJ Jihad never fails me

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Base" is a mobile, adjusting assertion.

As you move your leg behind their head, you need to adjust your balance point-like infant pupeteer and the rest of the guys sugest. Pulling on the head eliminates the need for shifting your balance but its good to figure out both ways. Try doing the leg switch on a bench and check the changes in balance you get, there's actually alot going on.

think of getting on your Ducati motorcycle from the back: you don't just swing your leg over, you need to move up as you do it...well, I'm full of all kinds of stupid analogies...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 1:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yah you have to relieve pressure a create space for a second, but I guess thats the risk of s-guard. I think you'll just end up doing it faster and being swept less often eventually after practicing it some more.

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 9:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure know that I think of it and read what guys like Cassius and JNP say that, when for example I want to go for an armbar on the guys left arm that I have been doing it wrong and shifting my weight off him to my right to try and bring my right leg up and under and I need to (while controlling the head) shift my weight to my left so I am still sitting on the person and put my leg under.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast