Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 2:35pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I believe if the event is sanctioned by the state, has proper safety equipment and precautions taken, has experienced coaches and referees working, as well as a good atmosphere, then it should all be fine.
    Although, I do recall a video that was posted a year, or so, ago that show cased a revolting event with children. The kids fought with 8 oz. gloves as their only protection, a dumbass referee who allowed one of the kids to go through an entire round of having his ass handed to him (the child wasn't showing any clear signs of good defense), a drunken audience screaming for blood, etc. Pretty much the whole thing made me physically ill.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 7:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The all or nothing insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaky
    http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/200...hes-a-fighter/

I don't know what else to say but this kid is 8 yrs old and already has 2 official bouts? While I agree with child wrestling and jiujitsu, will boxing (getting punched in the head alot) at this early age affect his mental development? I'm just searching for opinions because I don't know if I want to say hell yes teach that kid how to fight or what the hell is wrong with that trainer for somehow setting up 2 "official" fights and 5 exhibition fights.

Why do things like this have to be an all or nothing opinion - what in the hell happened to moderation these days? What is wrong with saying this is a good thing if kept in the proper perspective and done in moderation allowing for studies, friends, rest ect. . .

Based solely upon the video I would say this is a good thing myself - I mean don't boys still get into scuffles in the school yard , learn to ride bikes play on monkey bars, play king of the scrap pile, play foot ball in vacant lots and alley ways don't children still ride sleds down hills and have snow ball fights, play rough games ????? Last I heard children do all sorts of things that might cause brain damage because life is a risk for all interested in living instead of simply existing

I see structure and appropriate supervision as a definite plus - I do not see parents place as deciding how their children feel or what their interest are - it is a parents duty to guide child's desires toward a productive expression - I mean he might get hit in the head during matches but I do not see this as any more of a danger of causing bad long term effects than unsupervised scuffles that occur in play grounds and parks among eight year old boys every day. . .

I do not think it is any more dangerous than learning to ride a skate board or a bike - it is a sport like baseball and if done in moderation under supervision of responsible adults I think it is great. I think it is probably better for his brain than sitting in front of a video game or TV for hours on end night after night day after day.

The brain is like the rest of our body - the biggest danger of loosing an ability in this case thinking is if one fails to use it.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51
    I have no idea, but I know it doesn't belong in here. :) Have a nice day

You know what really doesn't belong here? Posts which say it doesn't belong here.

Children have been boxing as long as there has been boxing. Up until the 1950s or so, boxing used to be as ubiquitous in middle and high school as amateur wrestling. Its decline and disappearance was more about waning interest than any safety considerations.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And quite frankly, it's nice to see a kid step back from the typical McDojo scene and get into some more realistic training. He will be glad he did later on in life.

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 11:33am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillaky
    will boxing (getting punched in the head alot) at this early age affect his mental development?
    Not likely. Pee wee boxing has been around for ages:

YouTube - 2007.03.17 Evan Sanchez v David Fuentes Pee-Wee Boxing rd 1

... the lads are too small to hit that hard, and they're geared up with pillow gloves and thick headgear. The men in my family traditionally start at 5 years, none have been damaged by it.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington
    Not likely. Pee wee boxing has been around for ages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1cA5xeqUI

... the lads are too small to hit that hard, and they're geared up with pillow gloves and thick headgear. The men in my family traditionally start at 5 years, none have been damaged by it.
    ****, my mom wishes that was the most dangerous thing i ever did when i was 8....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 10:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: 5 forms combat, san shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8 year old fights, in Thailand the kids start to fight at that age too and it's considered 'awesome'. NOw these kids fight for money but anyway..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12