NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug
    Well excuse me, I guess I'll leave now and go hit the makiwara for a couple hours.
    Utah joke, not KK.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    fair enough, that's why I'm in the gym six days a week for a few hours.
    and yes I can admit that, just not happy with the way you said it. I would probably really enjoy that book so it might be added to the wish list even though its apparently over my head.
    I have a fight at the end of January :boxing: . Its muay thai rules minus elbows, and knees to the head.
    I will work in the mirror a lot in the next few weeks. What should I be focusing on when I'm working the bags? We have a 100 lb thai heavy bag, a soccer ball sized double ender, a standard speed bad, and a tear drop shaped bag.
    Dude, grow thick skin.

Not a book, but Freddy Roach's boxing instructional DVDs are good stuff to have:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-b...onal-dvds.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 2:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Dude, grow thick skin.

Exactly.

You may not be happy with what and how it was said but, you did ask for a smartass remark.

My boxing skills are pretty good so I'm not really looking for something basic.
    You've been here long enough to know, unless you are Kat, J-Lau, Omega, Kid, and a few others, you should think twice about making a statement like that on bullshido.

Championship Fighting Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defense
    by Jack Dempsey

Jack Dempsey's Championship Fighting - Kung Fu Magazine Forums
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/11/2008 2:06pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Idea
    That is just stoopid, those people don't know anything, you should just spar hard all the time
    Yeah...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 6:02am

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science

Amazon.com: Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science: Mark Hatmaker, Doug Werner: Books

i got this book last year, really good.
    i showed it to my brother who has done boxing for years and he said was pretty good. although he also said that there wasnt anything in there he didnt already know as boxing is learnt in the gym and not from a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Dispenser
    amazons doesnt ship to australia.
    yes it does. i've been buying books from them for years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 10:44am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Dispenser
    Yeah i have a habit of saying things in the meanest way possible ;), its a gift. If you have a fight in (late?) january you are best working the same 2-4 hit combos with your trainer and doing as much light sparring as you can, all the prep work goes to **** when you get in there for the first time anyway. How long have you been training for?
    It's gonna be january 31st.
    I've trained off and on weekend warrior style for four years, and I've been training four to six days a week for the last six months.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2008 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    It's gonna be january 31st.
    I've trained off and on weekend warrior style for four years, and I've been training four to six days a week for the last six months.
    Congrats for stepping up in the first place. Most of us avoid real fighting most of the time, it's a great experience and one learns tons, both about one's own strengths and weaknesses and training needs, but even the karate tournie stuff here takes lots of training to do decently and often leads to injuries.

I would have your teacher provide you with hard sparring, even very hard sparring, to give you some feeling for the match.

We were visiting a karate school that was taught by a bb who isn't exactly a "killer" and the sr bb with me beat the heck out of a brown belt who was getting ready to test black. He hit him and threw him down repeatedly and later said, "I wanted him to have a taste of what it's like at the higher levels."

You maybe should look for some pretty hard stuff before stepping into the ring.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 10:15pm

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleSoft
    Can't recommend Championship Streetfighting: Boxing As A Martial Art strongly enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Championship-S.../dp/0873649346

Just bought it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 6:00pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug
    Congrats for stepping up in the first place. Most of us avoid real fighting most of the time, it's a great experience and one learns tons, both about one's own strengths and weaknesses and training needs, but even the karate tournie stuff here takes lots of training to do decently and often leads to injuries.

I would have your teacher provide you with hard sparring, even very hard sparring, to give you some feeling for the match.

We were visiting a karate school that was taught by a bb who isn't exactly a "killer" and the sr bb with me beat the heck out of a brown belt who was getting ready to test black. He hit him and threw him down repeatedly and later said, "I wanted him to have a taste of what it's like at the higher levels."

You maybe should look for some pretty hard stuff before stepping into the ring.
    I'm on it.
    The other fighters in the gym started kicking my ass really hard last week. I came home from sparring night with some fresh color on my face.
    Whoever made the point about not saying that my boxing is "pretty good" on this site makes a good point! I just didn't want anybody to reccomend "boxing for dummies".

Honestly I'm pretty nervous about my fight. I'm just trying to train as hard as I can so I don't have to think about it.

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a historical perspective to stimulate your interest etc, consider:

"Ringside" by Budd Schulberg (I've nearly finished it).
    "Uppercuts and Dazes" by Reg Gutteride (The Great...UK commentator and knew the Greats) - especially when Ali invited him to interview between Rounds and ITV (UK) cut to a commercial Break. Quality. Highly Recommended.
    "On Boxing" by Hugh McIlvanney. Name-checked by Budd. Great article on Ali-Foreman post-fight.

Enjoy.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast