Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 11:25am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching privates

A baby blue belt asked me last week if I might consider teaching privates and offered me 200SEK (~25USD) an hour right away. I asked him if there was anything particular he had in mind and he just said "everything". He's a very smart small guy with a great desire to be technical.

I've been the assistant instructor at our club for about a year and a half now. Since our head instructor often is away on business it's quite often down to me to plan and teach class. As I'm a student the extra money would be totally sweet. Also, some day I want to start my own club and teach there so I figure I'll have to learn about teaching privates anyway.

However I'm not entirely confident in what I could teach him. I'm pretty successful at competitions but I feel that my basics are not that good and I mostly get by on having really good balance and flexibility in my hips. My own game often deviates so much from 'the basics' that I'm not sure if it's such a good idea to try and teach it to him because it might make him a worse player.

I'm going to try and watch the guy a bit closer when he's rolling to see if there is anything specific I could help him with but other than that I don't know what I can do.

Does anyone on here have any experience teaching privates and want to share?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He may just want more personal attention and other times to train which currently have nothing on the class schedule, so you might not have to sweat the details as to what to go over with him so much.

Don't forget your own instructor may prove to be a valuable resource in what to do with this guy, too.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have thinking about doing privates.

What I want to do is work on the little things make a huge difference. I know the moves but might not be dropping my weight correctly or shifting my hips to early or not enough and so on.

Chances are he's probably in a similar space.

It's all the little things that you probably do instinctively

Teaching him will also help you focus on these aspects as I find good instruction is in the details.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my personal experience the easiest way to do a 1-on-1 with someone that doesn't know exactly what they want to work on is to start with a warm-up using you're favorite drills, then just roll with him very slowly and watch the mistakes he makes. when he makes a mistake simply pause the roll and correct it; have him drill the correct technique/transition/motion 10 times on each side then start back in the same position you paused in and have him do it correctly on you and continue rolling until you see another mistake; obviously if there's an area he seems to be having more trouble with try to keep him in and around that position and spend as much time on it and alike techniques as he needs. Then when there's like 10 or so minutes left, put him through a bit of conditioning with sport specific routines, and/or just roll harder with him.

honestly it's a lot easier to teach (and learn) when you have 2 people doing the private, so if I were you I'd tell him to find a buddy to split the bill with him. however, some people like 1-on-1's simply cause they feel like they're getting more attention.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 12/25/2008 7:55pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the easiest thing to do is to watch them and find things that would incorporate well into their game. If they are white belts, I will go over basic stuff with EVERY detail, and make them takes notes on everything. I will then go into something a little more advanced, but something that works well with their style, once again NOTES.

Privates are for the little details that get glossed over or not truly hammered in during normal class. I normally go over solid fundamentals for most of the time then I will give them one or two toys to play with; something new that fits with their game. Then I roll for 10-15 minutes...but that is usually after the hour is over I like to give them an hour of instruction :)

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:11pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres how I generally run a private lesson:

Assuming you dont know the guy or have any experience with him/watching him train.

I'll train with him for about 10-15 minutes to see what kind of game he plays and how he likes to play it. I then base what Im going to teach him based on what I saw during the private. Many times you'll see a hole or gap in their game that can make a big difference- the "next step" for them if you will. If you correct or improve upon these techniques, they'll usually do better when training, and as a result regard the private as a wise investment and return for more in the future.

For an hour long private, I usually wont go over more than 2 techniques

If I regularly see the student train, chances are I'll know his game and what hes lacking- you can show the techniques first and then roll around at the end.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say 200$ usd per hour is pretty exorbitant for a private with a purple. My gym sets them at 80 pr hr and I still give them credit for another future hour when the gym owner's not paying attention.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:33pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    200SEK != 200USD
    200SEK ~= 25USD
    You get 80 dolaros for an hour? Holy carp!
    The guy hasn't been to training very much lately because of work so I haven't had any time to see what and how he does in class.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone pretty much has the jist, rolling with the person allows you to see what he may need to work on. Also, be aware of what he WANTS to work on too. This way, he feels he has gotten his money's worth and you KNOW he's gotten his money's worth.

Also, if you haven't had the chance to read Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu-Jitsu University, I wrote a review here:

Review - Saulo Ribeiro’s Jiu-Jitsu University - No BS Martial Arts

In the book, he has a unique approach to privates. In it, he feels there isn't enough time in one private lesson to add to or change your game so he focuses on survival. He teaches this, in his opinion, "...because his defense has got to be tight before he even considers fancy sweeps or the newest attacks."

Really made me think long and hard. Just putting that out there.