Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 10:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cross-Training for the Arnis Folk

So, I've been thinking about expanding my game...

Basically, the situation is that I've been training in an all new fashion (With people, like, actually not standing there letting you spaz out) which has me considering what it is I'm good at and what it is I suck at in terms of actual efficacy.

Anyway, I'm around the corner from 35, so I don't expect to suddenly find my Life's Calling art -- I know what I can and cannot do.

I came from a TMA Hapkido background, though the FMA overlay I've placed on top of that, coupled with the fact that my knees just don't DO that ****, anymore, has made me hard to recognize as a Hapkido Guy.

SO... I was originally thinking I'd be a largo mano guy, as historically I've been fast and evasive. Tap tap, angle out, tap.

Yeah, not so fast, old fart.

Having realized I'm nowhere near as nimble as I thought, once training with people who had no interest in humoring me... I've come to realize my -effective- strategy is corto mano. Basically, my "Style" is to crash and go apeshit with the elbows.

So, in short, I'm good with elbows, angles, and not falling down when I'm punched/elbowed in the face really fucking hard by someone who thinks they have harder elbows.

I suck at dancing around outside and winning a war of attrition.

I got to thinking I should focus on clinchwork... THAT got me thinking it'd inevitably lead to groundwork.

Guess what I'm asking is, should I just STFU and cross-train BJJ/MT? Alternatives? I don't much care about competition, and my -general- thought about extensive groundwork is '****, there are rocks and glass and **** down there... and he'll STAB your ass!', so... Maybe Judo?

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 12:00pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some sort of clinchwork yeah. This is pretty much the strategy of the first leg of pekiti training, btw, so we've got a lot of material. Greco or Judo would probably avail you well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 2:49pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travtex
    SO... I was originally thinking I'd be a largo mano guy, as historically I've been fast and evasive. Tap tap, angle out, tap.
    what do you have available to train? not all largo is dancing in and out.

tim

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To my understanding, he has a LOT of FMA options in SA, including 3 pekiti instructors.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl
    what do you have available to train? not all largo is dancing in and out.

tim
    True, but more to the point is, "It seems I can easily get picked to pieces in largo". I know of a couple PTK instructors in San Antonio, though I'm really looking at a more empty hand focus. PTK -has- a good deal, but one on the Guros doesn't emphasize it and the other only offers $75/hr privates (Which might actually be worth it, but I'm looking for something to tack on a LOT of training time).

The San Antonio Judo environment seems strangely barren.

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 8:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume it's Gabe that is that expensive?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right.

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 1:21pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo or Sombo. It's done wonders for me on the inside, even though I was pretty stout there already. Many stickfighters don't have a clue as to what to do from a clinch, and just stand there flailing ineffective abanico strikes with their trapped stick arm. They are often completely unaware that they could be instantly thrown on their head.

I think BJJ is great, but for someone with a background in a striking art, I'd recommend going with an art that specializes in takedowns that let you remain standing if desired.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 1:27pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have recently begun training in judo as a second art and would highly recommend it. Like Ryno said, a lot of FMA people don't know what to do in a clinch and its great to see the look on your sparring partner's face when you execute a throw or a sweep instead of trying to strike them.
    Last edited by escrimador6; 12/09/2008 1:30pm at .

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure there's only one SAMBO instructor in the whole state, and my understanding is that the UT judo club is like a vaccum that sucks in a great deal of the central texas talent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast