Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Protein Supplements on non-workout days?

Have you ever used a supplement on days you know you will not be working out?

On the back of most supplement containers there is usually some sort of recommended dosage/usage for taking that supplement on a non-workout day. I've never tried it, and it doesn't sound like something that would be much of use.

So, is it just a marketing scheme? Or is there any actual benefits of taking supplements on non-workout days?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by James-09
    Have you ever used a supplement on days you know you will not be working out?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the supplement.

On the back of most supplement containers there is usually some sort of recommended dosage/usage for taking that supplement on a non-workout day.
    Can you provide examples of the supplements you are referring to by "most supplements".

I've never tried it, and it doesn't sound like something that would be much of use.
    So what is the basis for that assumption? Is that assumption a general one, or for specific supplements?

So, is it just a marketing scheme? Or is there any actual benefits of taking supplements on non-workout days?
    As mentioned before, depends on the supplement. Sometimes it is the case that it is a marketing scheme, sometimes it is not. If you don't specify or describe, at the very least, some of the supplements you have encountered, used or considered used, this is just a vague, open-ended question.

If you haven't read the sticky, I suggest you do it now so that you see what type of material we want to have in this moderated forum.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you stated in the title you are talking about Protein supps, I will base my answer on that.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You do NOT build muscle while you are working out. You tear it down. Then, during your off time, you build it back up. Your rest days are the critical off time that you need to build muscle. Protein is a vital building block to do this.

Now, that being said, you don't NEED to take the supps. You can get all the protein that you need from your food. That is a viable option as long as you are tracking that you are getting enough protein for your goals.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 4:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you provide examples of the supplements you are referring to by "most supplements".
    The three supplements I am currently taking during workouts are whey, glutamine, and creatine (the creatine also includes BCAA's, see: HERE). All have instructions for use on non-workout days.

So what is the basis for that assumption? Is that assumption a general one, or for specific supplements?
    To speed recovery, I take glutamine before and after my workouts. I never considered any of those supplements on non-workout days, because I am already using them for recovery on the days I do work out.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 4:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Creatine: Yes, take it daily
    Glutamine: No idea
    Whey: Eat more food instead
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 4:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you aren't getting enough protein from your regular food than you definetely want to take a protein drink on your day off, for the reasons Volusia put forth. For me, I use a meal-replacement or a high-calorie gainer, because if I don't do it on my days off I am neglecting the very reason I am taking it.

For creatine- definetely. Creatine is a supp which takes time to work, to raise your creatine levels, so you want to make this a daily routine. I'm also not sure about the glutamine, but I would say to take it only if you are really sore that day.

For many types of supps, there is great reason to take them on your non-workout days. For any sort of weight-gain plan, you need to keep calories up and protein/MRP's provide a good, clean source of protein, carbs and fats to add to your current food diet. For a weight loss plan, also, they can be used to replace most of your standard food diet. Testosterone boosters, aminos, creatine and various types of vitamins and minerals will all take time to work and should be consumed daily.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 5:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    If you aren't getting enough protein from your regular food than you definetely want to take a protein drink on your day off, for the reasons Volusia put forth. For me, I use a meal-replacement or a high-calorie gainer, because if I don't do it on my days off I am neglecting the very reason I am taking it.
    A whey shake will drive up your serum amino acid levels quickly, and then they'll shortly (on the order of half an hour) return to normal levels. This means that if you want a prolonged boost in amino acid levels, you can either get a slower protein (hence my advice) or drink your shake really slowly. Technically, I do the latter by mixing a few scoops of chocolate-flavoured whey in with a 2L jug of milk and sipping it throughout the day.

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, no, I take seperate aminos.

Do those levels diminish as well?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 5:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Well, no, I take seperate aminos.

Do those levels diminish as well?
    Shortest answer: Yes.
    Slightly less short answer: Proteins (both in food and in your cells) are big chains of amino acids. A class of enzymes called proteases split the long chains up into shorter ones that can be absorbed from your digestive system (small intestine, IIRC) and picked up by the portal vein, then circulated throughout the body. I think they're usually broken down into individual amino acids before absorption, but that's off the top of my head and might be incorrect.

So it depends on what form the amino acids are in and how they react to the stomach, but odds are that they'll be quickly absorbed and thus quickly disposed of.

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it help if I drank my own urine?

I've been looking for a good justification for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast