Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 5:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jerky good for weight loss?

I have heard that jerky is good for weight loss and fitness since it is low in fat and high in protein however after buying the packet and reading the nutritional information on the back I found this

carbs per 100g (57g packet)
    19.4g
    of which are sugars 18.2

that looks like a lot of carbs is it still good for weight loss? having a packet every day or every other day?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weigth loss is about calories. If you only ate 1000 calories of deep fried butter in mayo sauce every day, you'd lose weight.

So... jerkey. That looks to be the teriaki flavor (so yummy). It's not terrible, but if you want to avoid sugar try the smoked flavor or whatever. Also, most jerkey is way high in sodium.

If you're looking for some easy rules to follow to eat better, read this article.
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/7habits.htmI swear to God I need to make time to make a sticky thread that includes those "7 habits" plus other related stuff.

Jerky is a good snack, and like all snacks, is moderation and good nutrition habits (or lack thereof) that make the difference.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/01/2007 9:16pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 11:02am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like jerky for a snack (it's great an hour or two before a work out or while hiking) because as you said it's low in fat and high in protein. There's nothing wrong with carbs; they're just energy and your body does need them. Like Jon said losing weight is about calories in and calories out so just don't over do it.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sodium

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "jerky that's good for you" and "commercially available jerky" are two very different things.

make your own.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, jerky ( or "Slim Jims") that you buy in the store are not necessarily very healthy for you to eat on a regular basis. There is a lot of sodium in it, and who knows what other chemicals are thrown in for preservation and "flavor."

If you want to lose weight, don't focus on the carb thing. I feel the Atkins diet is very unhealthy. It is bad for the heart, it's bad for your bowls, it's bad for your breath and you odor. It's just bad. Make fruit and vegetables the most of what you eat. Look for low fat/ no fat/reduced fat products. Look at the labels.

Go figure out how many calories your body needs to lose weight and keep track of them. You need to exercise, I should not have to tell you that since this is a MA board, but you have N/A as your style, so I'm guessing you are not training.

Try to be healthy while you lose weight. You will develop eating habits that are natural and nourish your body better. You will not be on a diet, you will have a diet that you can live with and your body can function on.

Make sense?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Yeah, jerky ( or "Slim Jims") that you buy in the store are not necessarily very healthy for you to eat on a regular basis. There is a lot of sodium in it, and who knows what other chemicals are thrown in for preservation and "flavor."
    Carcinogens and nitrates. Mmm, cancer!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 12:52pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Yeah, jerky ( or "Slim Jims")

I think we're talking about two different things; slim jims are slim jims and if I remember right (it's been a long time since I've had one) they're loaded with fat but they aren't what I mean by jerky. This is what I get:

Oh Boy! Oberto Natural Style beef jerky is a 97 percent fat-free product, with 80 calories and 1 gram of fat per 28-gram serving. In addition, Natural Style jerky can be considered a great source of protein, with approximately 10 grams of protein in each 28-gram serving."

Now I don't know much about the preservatives so there might just be something in there that's not the best, and there's no arguing that it has a substantial amount of sodium, but just how amazingly healthy does your diet have to be before something like this throws it off?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I'm in the "sodium isn't too big a deal since I have two working kidneys and I drink plenty of fluid". Of course i also don't eat 12,000% of the RDA.

As long as you mostly eat healthy you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    "jerky that's good for you" and "commercially available jerky" are two very different things.

make your own.
    Fucking win. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31151,00.html

That's a great recipie - just add a bit more red pepper for more spice. Also, your whole house will smell like meat. :sleepy3:
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blood pressure and sodium lol.

If you don't have a history of high blood pressure or heart disease go for it.
    If you have that much spare time, you can make your own.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast