Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 4:05pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind getting thrown around like a ragdoll as long as they're nice about it.

Looks like South London has some of the best, I imagine I'll end up at Tokei though just because it's more central. From what I can gather Judo clubs, like BJJ, have pretty good consistency so I should be fine. Most seem to have BJJ too which is good as I won't have to go back and forth across different clubs.

Thanks for the info guys.

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 6:04am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Fodder how?
    Well, I tried to qualify my comment and it came from a genuine 3rd Dan, who I respect. Then again, I don't know how long it has been since he was there so perhaps his view is out of date.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 6:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant, in what way do you mean fodder?

Do they use you as sheep and herd you across mine fields?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 4:57pm

Style: Judo (failed)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi folks,

sorry to indulge in thread necro but thought I could contribute here- Let me precede this by saying that my Judo was, and almost certainly still is *the suck* and I weight about 60KG so I look for slightly different things in a Judo club than most people (variety of body weights etc).

I have been to classes at both the Budokwai and the Tokei, although I didn't go to enough to really say that I trained at either of them, so...just take it in that context.

All information presented here was my experience at the times stated.

Budokwai
    4 sessions, 2005
    Large classes, institutional. Good attitude on the part of the students, but not much instructor attention. I didn't mind that much, but it certainly was not what I would call beginner friendly.

I think if I was better/tougher I would have got more out of it. Thought the instructor was..."snobbish" is the only word I can come up with really. That said, their reputation is very good- traditional, institutional, high quality judo can definitely be found there, but also expect 'technique snobbery' re; newaza and non-gi takedowns, at least at a junior level.

Don't go expecting 'community judo' with an instructor who openly admits to dabbling in BJJ/Sambo.

I realise that it's the heart of establishment judo and that goes with the territory, but just spelling it out for those who might not know.

Tokei
    approx eight sessions, 2007
    There's a half hour class for absolute beginners which I sometimes watched. Struck me that half and hour isn't that much really, but they did work hard.

There were two general classes a week. There just wasn't a very large turnout which was a bit of a problem- there weren't that many body types. Instruction was ok...but the instructor didn't get stuck in that much. His heart was definitely in the right place though. Personally, I think there wasn't enough randoori.

Membership (then at 30/month) entitled you to two judo sessions a week, and the opportunity to go to the Friday BJJ class + gym access. They had Koyukushin there also.

ULU
    8 sessions (I think) 2007
    The University of London Union. Trained twice a week, with extremely reasonable mat fees (under 3 if memory serves),

Two session per week: general class and regulars class.

Can't speak highly enough of this place as I found it, however although the club committee welcome all, the union do not. At the beginning of the year I could slip in unhindered , but they started getting arsey (I wasn't a student or alumni). The club did manage to slip me in under a guess pass once, but I didn't want to risk not being let in so stopped going.

General class catered to all. Good turnout, large variety of body types and great instruction; lots of dan grades around mixing with everyone.

Regulars class (went once, by accident) but the training was great, I gassed very quickly- they don't compromise on fitness there! The instructor for the regulars session as very old school, tough, but extremely good natured.

If you are a ULU student or a alumni, check it out.

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 5:51pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you end up living in west london you might want to include this place, if you drive it's not far

http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/

But it really is a case of where you live, it's not a small place, and transportation is crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 5:33pm

Style: Judo (failed)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread necro round 2- Eddie mentioned the Sobell club (http://sobelljudoclub.com/) I'll do a proper review once I've been there a while- just to say that they run a two week induction programme for beginners (usually once a month). You get a dedicated instructor to run them through the basics.

I've mentioned the other clubs I've been to in my previous post- of all the non-university clubs I've been to, this is the most beginner friendly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12