223955 Bullies, 4523 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 6:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lifting concerns with this injury

So, in th NYC Throwdown November 16 I was sparring with a giant San Da gentleman and took a kick to the ribs that nearly dropped me, but I kept on going. Rolling was a little rough for the rest of the throwdown because pressure on my chest aggrevated the area, but I've practiced feeling worse.

That Thursday (the 16th was a Sunday) I go into the gym, still a little sore but what the hell? I go to bench press and the side of my chest where I took the hit feels like it's going to collapse as soon as I start with any significant weight. So, I lay off for a while on any lifts that seem to hurt that area. Don't want to be stupid.

Yesterday I go into the gym again. It's almost three weeks later so I try some of the excercises that hurt, and while normal movement doesn't seem to bother it too much, as soon as I started doing inclined sit-ups with a medicine ball it felt just as bad as two weeks ago. I didn't even try the bench.

I was wondering if this could be more serious than I thought. I've been laying off any kind of MA training since and even held back on the conditioning, as mentioned, but this **** won't seem to heal. I imagine a break would hurt a lot more and mess with my breathing (I ran a mile under 7 minutes yesterday warming up and it wasn't really tiring.) But it seems like anything superficial would feel better by now.

I was wondering if there were any suggestions. Given how expensive it is for me I don't want to see a doctor if I'm just being a bitch.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa
    S I imagine a break would hurt a lot more and mess with my breathing (I ran a mile under 7 minutes yesterday warming up and it wasn't really tiring.) But it seems like anything superficial would feel better by now.
    A hairline break on a rib with the attending deep bruising and/or possible cartilage tearing could do this to you. If it is this, there isn't much you can do about it other than wait longer - 8 - 12 weeks.

Going to a doctor would rule out anything worse. It's your call.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sound pretty similar to what I've been going through, I had a costachondral rip seperation and cartilage tearing with pretty similar symptoms that I'm still dealing with three years later. My advice is to get it checked out ASAP. I rested it about 6 weeks the first time, and had it happen again a few months later while boxing, and I'm fairly certain the fact that I didn't do anything with it the first time is why I still have issues with it from time to time. Find a good sports doc if you can, there are some therapies that can help speed healing in low blood flow areas like cartilage.

FYI, getting the MRI will probably suck as you have to regulate your breathing for 45 minutes while they scan.

Weak

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 8:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a doctor is too expensive...

1. Do not do any weighted exercises (unless its just isolating the legs/glutes)

2. No sit ups and especially nothing that puts weight on the chest area

3. Sleep on the side it hurts, this allows the other lung to expand more fully so you don't have difficulties breathing at night

4. Again, don't carry any heavy weights - you be the judge of when you feel comfortable starting up weight training

5. As to the running not causing too much pain, I ran every day for 2 months while out from MA with 3 fractured ribs, a little trouble breathing and a bit of jolting around of the ribs but the pain wasn't piercing or debilitating. Of course it would hurt quite badly after I'd cooled down and for hours afterwards.

Part of the problem could just be pain tolerance, I'm sure someone who hasn't trained and isn't used to soreness/tears etc. would find it more painful.

I'd give you 8 weeks if you're good and at least 6 months before that area is going to feel 'normal' again if it is a hairline fracture.

Its a pretty common injury but its how you look after it now that's going to determine any long term implications (eg. 'slipped' ribs, shoulder pain, ribs aching during cold weather, pain in the area after heavy workouts/training long after you've 'healed' etc.).
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 10:47am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. Here's hoping I can get a decent insurance carrier by January if it's still bothering me.