Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido vs MMA Reloaded.

Don't expect the unexpected

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting how the MMA fighter pointed out the underlying issue with the Aikidoka is being afraid...fearing not just of getting punched...of punching too. I've always associated Aikido with one of those zen things where "no fear" is half the point...doesn't seem to work out when you haven't addressed, in particular, "fear of face smash".

So is that the point? A "defensive" martial art with little focus on attack is not only self-defeating against a mixed martial approach (knife to a gun fight analogy?), but Aikido in particular is missing defense or protection from strikes because they don't get struck enough in training to handle it and it breaks their mold?

It seems straightforward to me that you take an serious Aikidoka and give them MMA lessons, they can synthesize both together. That combo usually works for Judo or BJJ, they just seem to have a leg up on Aikido because of the focus on repetitive randori (i.e. practical experimentation).

It doesn't seem far out there that an Aikidoka with MMA instruction would fare any better/worse....but as the Aikido dude said, no way he could train for this just on the tatami. BUT he seemed to be a very fast learner, so the (10+ years of) Aikido must have had some value.

30m of MMA sparring later, he's probably a MUCH better Aikidoka than most. Imagine what a year would do. Imagine if he'd done both Aikido and MMA for 10+ Years. He'd be the most lethal man in a hakama on the planet, on top of having such a pleasant personality.
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 5/03/2017 3:03pm at .

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That god damned hippie needs a hair cut.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    It seems straightforward to me that you take an serious Aikidoka and give them MMA lessons, they can synthesize both together. That combo usually works for Judo or BJJ, they just seem to have a leg up on Aikido because of the focus on repetitive randori (i.e. practical experimentation).

It doesn't seem far out there that an Aikidoka with MMA instruction would fare any better/worse....but as the Aikido dude said, no way he could train for this just on the tatami. BUT he seemed to be a very fast learner, so the (10+ years of) Aikido must have had some value.
    Based on my completely anecdotal observations I feel the biggest issue is the types of people that Aikido attracts. It used to be a lot of older Judo guys looking for something new but familiar, but that's not really the case anymore. It largely seems to attract people who have never been punched or thrown around before, are not interested in doing so, and think they have found some silver bullet for self defense.

All that being said, kudos to this guy for being honest about what he's doing and jumping in the ring with a real professional fighter, and then getting feedback from him as well.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    That god damned hippie needs a hair cut.
    That seems to be a key identifying trait of the Aikidoka in any "Aikido vs. <style>" video. Almost like it is required, right along with the hakama.

I assumed that Aikido just naturally draws hippies, new-agers, and Steven Segal wannabes.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say I was ever a really serious Aikidoka, but I have a brown belt in Aikido and wasn't far off going for my black belt when I started Muay Thai. What actually happened was the opposite; I realised quite quickly that I wasn't going to pull off any Aikido on Muay Thai guys, tried to adapt some Aikido punch defenses to proper punches in my Aikido training, mostly failed, and just focused on striking.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's almost like Aikido is for pussies or something...
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

30m of MMA sparring later, he's probably a MUCH better Aikidoka than most. Imagine what a year would do. Imagine if he'd done both Aikido and MMA for 10+ Years. He'd be the most lethal man in a hakama on the planet, on top of having such a pleasant personality.
    I think this is possible but IMO it would work better the other way: adding aikido to a preexisting base in combat sports.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I think this is possible but IMO it would work better the other way: adding aikido to a preexisting base in combat sports.
    Agree and can personally think of numerous others where this was the case. Judo in the majority but some others that had a varied background in striking arts. I'd say one of the better was a middle aged FMA guy.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I don't know if the order matters as much as the time spent blending both. The OP video's case is definitely a matter of latter-day respekt for MMA. He could have been even better at Aikido by picking up MMA sooner, right?

Haircut-wise, come on people. Lots of awesome boxers with dreads...let it go. LOL Ancient Greek boxers wore dreadlocks.

But think about the difference between somebody who only does one thing for 13 years, vs someone who tries a variety of interrelated things (consistently) over the same time.

That's the whole problem with some of the traditional MAs that haven't caught up...the idea there is that you spend your life doing X, then try Y, when you could be XYXYXYXYXYXYing...

Is it the art, or the people in it?
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 5/04/2017 7:42pm at .

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last