Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 5:58pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gold Medal Workout-

I have bought relaxation tapes and so on in the past, and heard a lot about "guided imagery" etc, in terms of success, victory, etc, but I have to wonder, is it BS. What I mean is, while many champions imagine what is going to happen in the game/match etc, don't just as many losers do the same? Is it just day dreaming for the less athletically inclined, and "sports psychology" for the elite?

I guess I was wondering if there had been any studies disputing this stuff, or was it pretty solid. Tom Kurz, who I usually respect, has put out a series of discs, and I bought them. Recently, he defended the practice with some, well, salesman-ish verbiage-

By the way, one of our customers asked this about Gold Medal Mental Workout for Combat Sports CD:

> I am interested in your Gold Medal Mental Workout recordings in mp3
    > format.
    >
    > I don't understand what there is to be "shipped". Ordinarily when one
    > purchases mp3 and adobe products they can be downloaded once payment is
    > made. Is that not the case with your recordings?

Answer:
    Our Gold Medal Mental Workout for Combat Sports CD includes GMMW book in Adobe Acrobat format and recordings of exercises in both mp3 and iPod formats. All those audio files take over 500 MB, which would take a long time to download. This is why we distribute this program on a CD.

> Why mp3 and iPod files of your 12 mental exercises are so huge?

Answer:
    Because they are saved at both high bit rate and high sampling rate to keep the quality high. Recordings of our mental exercises must be listened to at a high quality to get the full benefit of them. They are designed to induce in listeners a mental state in which auto-suggestions work best. To this end we have selected just the right voice (lector) that guides listeners through each exercise and also we had special music composed and recorded that produces specific brainwaves, which give direct access to the subconscious mind. This sets Gold Medal Mental Workout apart from cheap productions with stock music, an indifferent lector, and poor results.

Best regards,

Thomas Kurz
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 8:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it. Is he selling a subliminal workout? How would that work...

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, they are actually relaxation/visualization tapes with specific instructions. I just wonder if there is a big hindsight bias on the tests that say this stuff works.

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 10:16pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think you are going to win, you just might win. If you think you are going to lose, you will lose for sure.

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference is, some of this stuff seems to say- "if you think you will win, YOU WILL WIN!"

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if I think I am going to lose, and I win??? The possibilities are staggering.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sport pyschology is a little bit more than "wishful thinking", Visualazation makes good athletes better, It doesnt make whip cream from horse ****.

Helpful things from Sport pysch is identifying if you have either a low or high arosal level, how to use anchoring, visualazation, positive affermations to get you at your peak.

There is something to it, but It is a piece in the overall component it takes to be elite. It WILL NOT EVER replace good instruction/coaching, mat time, and physical conditioning, not to mention how genitics factor in to the equation.

This is just my opinion, I am no authority on sport pysch, but I do have the product in question, and am a big fan of Olyimpic shooting champion Lonnie Bassem's book "mental toughness".
    16 years till retirement.