Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 2:27pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleSoft
    If that's true then the Mandarin Chinese translation of 'Muay Thai' would be 'San Da'. Interesting.
    That IS pretty interesting!

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 3:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am currently training in Pradal Serey (modified with Western boxing punches) in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I have trained in some MT back in Canada. Anyway, I can't see any difference whatsoever between the two arts.
    Last edited by KungFuCanuck; 12/20/2008 3:56am at . Reason: spelling mistake

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 7:49am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty awesome. Do you speak Khmer? How much does it cost to train over there, and how much does it cost to live in Cambodia in comparison to Canada?

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask
    That's pretty awesome. Do you speak Khmer? How much does it cost to train over there, and how much does it cost to live in Cambodia in comparison to Canada?

I've been taking spoken Khmer lessons and am starting to speak the language more and more. I train at Paddy's gym in Phnom Penh. Paddy is a South African and ex-boxer who learned a lot about Muay Thai when he was in Thailand. He offers two one-hour group classes for foreigners on Monday and Wednesdays. Each class cost $5 (and you can also use the gym). There are usually three or four Khmer boxers assisiting him in the class. Private lessons with the Khmer boxers are $5 (US dollars). I couldn't find a wing chun group here so I checked that out and I really like it. Cambodia is A LOT cheaper than in Canada. Although, if you like going to Western restaurants and buying imported Western food at the supermarket it can get a bit pricy. Google Paddy's sports center in Phnom Penh for more info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2008 9:16am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I see myself in South-East Asia in the years following my graduation from university, because I fucking love the place. Cambodia is definately a place I want to check out and I will definately go back to Thailand for a while. I'd like to spend maybe a year or two living in a place like that, and train as much as I can while I have the opportunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 9:46am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rask
    Cool. I see myself in South-East Asia in the years following my graduation from university, because I fucking love the place. Cambodia is definately a place I want to check out and I will definately go back to Thailand for a while. I'd like to spend maybe a year or two living in a place like that, and train as much as I can while I have the opportunity.
    It will be a life changing experience. I highly recommend it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2009 2:21pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did my first Sanshou class at Carleton yesterday.

Here's the report:

John Hum is the instructor: http://wutancanada.com/p5.html

He was very down-to-earth and very informal. He maintained a nice balanced environment of informality and control; the kind where you feel comfortable chatting with your training partners and approaching the instructor with questions but without the place being a free-for-all and without causing distractions to the other participants.

He explained the following:

* It's a 12-week INTRODUCTORY course. He stressed the INTRODUCTORY part so that people know what they were getting into. He noticed that some of us already had some training in us so he also indicated that he'll make is as interesting as possible for us without leaving the newbs behinds.

* It's a Sanshou / MMA course. He illustrated this by stating that the training will focus more on K-1-style fighting rather than UFC-style fighting. The first 4 weeks will focus on stand-up fighting and striking of all kinds; boxing, kicking, elbows, knees, etc. (While some of these techniques aren't used under Sanshou rulesets, he stated that we'll be learning them nonetheless because they can obviously be used under different rulesets.) The following 4 weeks could concentrate on throws, takedowns and clinch fighting. The final 4 weeks would be putting it all together with a bit of grappling just for the fun of it. (He reminded us of the K-1 / UFC comparison again.)

* This course isn't going to turn anyone into a pro fighter. It's an introductory course. Anyone who wants to be a fighter can see him for extra training with his team (which was doing its own training at the back of gym while our class was going on). That being said, he seemed to be scoping out the heavier guys with training and he mentioned that he was looking for guys to fight at 220lbs. I'll see where that goes next week.

What the class consisted of:

* Explanation of what Sanshou is and different MA / MMA rulesets (K-1, UFC, etc) as well as the equipment required for each.

* Warming up: lots of stretching, push-ups, sit-ups (and sit-up-related exercises), misc calisthenics, cardio, etc.

* Basic punching and footwork: hand and shoulder position, jabbing, foot position, stepping forward and backwards while throwing jabs, punching targets with a partner, etc.

* Basic round kicks, kicking drills, kicking pads with a partner, etc.

It was what I expected from the first class of any martial art.

What I liked:

* The instructor is friendly, approachable, informal, tailors instructions / coaching to participants' respective levels of experience. He is also clearly competent and knows what he's doing. He moves like a fighter. His techniques are proper. He can answer all the questions without defaulting to bullshido clichés. He seems pretty solid.

* The gym is clean, cool and spacious.

* The instructor clearly has a plan; he's got structure in mind. He's not just training random stuff willy-nilly. He's in control and it shows.

What I disliked / what concerns me a bit:

* Training on hardwood floor (there are mats for grappling / takedowns / throws, but the standup is done on hardwood floor)

* Use of kicking shields instead of Thai pads (I perfer Thai pads, but that's just a personal preference)

* No punching / kicking bags in sight other than the ones the MMA team were using to practice G&P techniques in the back of the gym (maybe they can tie them up for striking practice but, in this instance, they were simply being used for G&P techniques)

So, that being said, things look positive and promising for an introductory course.

I'll post up more info after a few more lessons.

Posted On:
    1/06/2009 3:02pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613
    John Hum is the instructor: http://wutancanada.com/p5.html

He was very down-to-earth and very informal. He maintained a nice balanced environment of informality and control; the kind where you feel comfortable chatting with your training partners and approaching the instructor with questions but without the place being a free-for-all and without causing distractions to the other participants.
    John's a good guy and a longtime MA practitioner. The only caveat I'd give on that is his background is in traditional CMA, not in MMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 1:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much, but judging from what I saw from the clips, Sanda/Sanshou incorporates more punching in an offensive manner rather than just to create a little distance (as seen in the Human Weapon clip, although I think Human Weapon "fights" are always watered down so not to injure the hosts). For those who have more experience, does that seem like an accurate assumption or just newbie prattle?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 2:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Newbie who doesn't know what month it is prattle.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast