Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 10:12am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    D. SeNpai is a mentor or guide to less experienced person the kohai. This is an individual relationship between 2 people and is one of great respect and mutual gain. While it is part of martial arts the true purpose is used incorrectly.
    Even further, Senpai means "senior", one who was first. I could start Karate before you, and then quit while you keep going, years later even though I quit, I am still your Senpai....it has really nothing to do with skill but who was first.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 10:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    A. Being a BB does not make you a teacher

B. Its not used correctly. Sensei Artigue is incorrect its Artigue Sensei. If your going to speak Japanese do it fucking right.

C. Too many people attach themselves to the word without earning it.

D. SeNpai is a mentor or guide to less experienced person the kohai. This is an individual relationship between 2 people and is one of great respect and mutual gain. While it is part of martial arts the true purpose is used incorrectly.

E. A true sensei is an older very experienced teacher who can guide all of his/her students down a path in their own martial arts experience. He/she has trained many people to higher levels in their sport and is respected by the community at large for his/her actions.

I hope to be there some day and be called sensei with all the respect and admiration the title deserves. Until then I am a coach and above all else I am Josh a human being with all the same flaws and faults as everyone. A title does not make you only your actions.
    While everything you say is true in some cases it doesn't always mean its true in itself (does that make any sense)

case in point to get a BB in Goju-jitsu you have to take a coaching certificate program at a local community college (Going for brown you also have to do an 8 hour first aid course)

The Sensei who runs the school doesn't get any $$ for this it's just that to earn the name and the rank to teach you have to know how to coach.

Even then you're a Sempei first until you get your second degree

The problem with the western use of Sensei in many TMA bullshido schools is, it's not really earned and used by many douchebags to fluff their ego.

Because it's Japanese douches can attach extra meaning and symbolism that doesn't really exist.

Sensei, Semmpei - Coach assistant coach

It's funny if the bullshido schools had to use terms like coach and assistant coach they probably wouldn't get away wih as many inflated ranks

I can't see adults being bossed around by a teenage "coach"

Although I can't understand why people go to schools with kiddie "sensies anyways"

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 12:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What people fail to comprehend is that a teacher is a really special thing. I am a teacher fully licensed and certified through the state board of education. I had 3 years experience in my field plus 4 years of college to educate me on the craft of teaching. I had to pass a battery of tests and undergo supervision and evaluations in my first few years to be a fully licensed teacher. I still have to be evaluated every couple of years. I currently have 10 years of teaching experience in a classroom. I just started being a good teacher 5 years ago.

On the flip side I have been teaching martial arts now for almost 20 years. I see why I had so much trouble in the beginning as a MA instructor. I now use a handful of methodologies to instruct MA as well as in the classroom.

The "monkey see monkey do" methodology of martial arts instruction does not come close to what a real physical education instructor must undergo to become certified. I am sorry but a semester at the community college does not equal a BS in kinesiology education. Further more the certification programs for many martial arts instructors is laughable. The more I do both, classroom instruction and MA instruction, the more I learn and grow.

I thought I was a good MA instructor and would be able to do well in the classroom. That line of thinking was just like wishing. **** in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first. You need structure, supervision, and training to be a good instructor. This is why I loathe people who use sensei because many are not really teachers.

This another reason it is essential to belong to a real organization. Not one made up by one person and run by him but a true organization. They offer support assistance and guidance in all areas of development for your program. Just like how we demand to see your BJJ lineage people should demand to see your education credentials from MA instructors.

There is always exceptions to the rule and many people are great teachers with little training. If that is the case and if they are teaching at a school then it would behoove them further their education and become a better instructor.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 1:28pm

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds
    You hate the Japanese word for teacher? Do you also hate "sempai" (instructor)? Why do you do Japanese arts, that are based on Japanese culture, and reject the culture? There is nothing wrong with respecting your teacher. If your teacher prefers to be called Sensei, Coach, Sifu, Mister, Professor, Madam, or Guru- why does it matter? It's an apellation of respect. If you have made a conscious decision to allow someone to teach you, begruding them the respect of address seems petty.

I think it's not out of the realm of politeness for an older student to refer to me as sensei when we work in class. It sets a good example for the younger students. We are trying to break the habit of casual informality with most of them, trying to turn "Yeah." into "Yes, sir.", or specifically, "Yes, sensei." By the same token, I will give the respect right back to the students. Now, if your concern is the cult-like mentality and atmosphere of the types of places Bullshido's community rails against, I would simply say that politeness does not equal weird cults and crappy instruction.

Ok, that thought just stuck in my craw. You can go right back to trying to sift the wheat from the chaff.
    I always address my instructors as sensei inside and outside the dojo and Mr. & Ms. + surname as well. It's just something my instructors emphasized at my school and I do it personally out of respect. And at the boxing gym I refer to my instructor as coach. I do find I am very formal when my instructors tell me something-mostly out of habit and always, "Yes Sensei" or "Yes Coach".

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Meez wants to have a 'talk' with your Meez...
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/04/2008 2:09pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 3:26pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A McDojo to me is one that creates black and brown belts like burgers in McDonald.

I went to a krotty school with 11 and 12 year old brown belts, and a yellow belt kid that couldnt even punch properly because he was 3, i dont think anyone ever failed the tests and patches were given for money instead of awarded for excellence.

The trainning was all done in the air, at best it was with compliant opponents and sparring was light touch point stuff where you had to yell "KIA" to win, so most fights ended as shouting matches.

I approched my coach to teach me moves that could be actually used in fights and he told me to practice the same moves and bend my knees more while in stance, honestly i learned more from older students who cross trained.

THAT MY FRIEND IS A MCDOJO.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12