224939 Bullies, 3770 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 321 FirstFirst 1234 56781454104 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gut feeling is that you'll probably run a pretty decent school. I think you're an honest, straight up guy. I think your marketing is a bit over the top, but not fraudulent. I wish you luck with your school, and hopefully you can add to the pool of solid NC fighters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 3:46pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Billy was NOT a white belt when you met him/trained with him. That I am 100% sure of. Also as to tapping you, I guarantee no Euphoria nor would I expect it to prepare me for the ring. You know exactly what I am getting at with my questions. You are competing directly with Crossfit, and with your marketing (which you did at least change the Gracie BB line) comparing yourselves directly to them with regards to quality of training and teaching. No offense, but there is no comparison, not for the competitor. If your intent is to teach only casual students grappling thats fine and well, but to promote as if you guys are the premium training center in the area when you have not fought nor trained anyone to fight I find that a little misleading.

So what is your plan, to "learn on the job" when you have someone's safety in your hands (cornering/training them for a MMA fight)?

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 4:13pm

Style: Shamar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I tend to be more of a....

"Let the results speak for themselves kind of guy."

I would not say we are directly competing with Crossfit as we are very different but obviously we are in the same niche so I guess you are right about that to the very least degree.

As for Billy, I honestly can not say TRULY what rank he had back in 97 when I started training with the group that he trained with....I mean maybe he had rank he kept secret, or maybe he had previous ranking that he just never talked about I really would not know. What I KNOW cause I was there was that both Billy and Jason wore white belts during ALL of the training that I attended back in 97. I honestly don't care what rank he was or is....I respect him for who he is and what he knows regardless of the color of the belt that holds his GI together (but I guess that is my problem altogether).

Your questions are baseless, argumentative and pointless by the shear fact that I do not promote myslef as having certification or ranking in BJJ nor do I intend to ever. I have also already said that I am running MY program so I guess the buck stops with me.

I am glad that there is a lot of great instruction in and around Raleigh and that you have the option to train with whomever YOU feel is adequate or qualified to teach YOU.

If we wanted to call Crossfit out we would directly. Generically we are not trying to call anyone out, we are only making statements about the industry in general and how we feel we are different. Crossfit has a great track record that speaks for itself. Unfortunately and fortunately as well (as I see it) we do not have one yet. But we will my friend....soon. When we get our record it might be a little harder to make such claims (baseless claims....as I am not sure how you can prove a negative?)

To judge my ability to teach or the quality of my teaching without even knowing me or training with me seems unreasonible but it is a free country. We are NOT looking for individuals with that kind of thinking so I hope you continue your training where ever you are and I wish you the best. I hardly think 27 years of martial arts training and the instructors that I have learned from would set me up to have to "learn on the job." I take the safety of my fighters VERY seriously and I DO appreciate the concern.

Quick question, "does EVERY MMA teacher out there have an MMA record before they start teaching?" Do all coaches in all disciplines have to be athletes in the discipline that they coach? Is an athlete and great fighter always the best teacher/coach? I guess the future will tell becuase the beauty of this whole post is that ultimately our guys will fight and the results will tell the REAL truth.

Lastly, we ENJOY training. We are not looking to setup a whole chain of Cobra kai dojos or prove to the world that what we teach is the best or that my red shirt is better than your red shirt. We get along with ANYONE and EVERYONE that wants to train and learn and have some fun. We plan to compete, we hope and plan to do very well. At the end of the day we all put our pants on the same way and we are all going to die sooner than we hope. So why don't we all just enjoy the fact that we all love MMA and find the things that bring us together instead of nit picking and trying to tear each other down.....?

Thanks again, and I HONESTLY do appreciate what I thinik is good hearted concern for others safetly in learning and training (feel secure though, we KNOW what we are doing),

Jason Brinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I am not judging you not being able to teach. I am asking what is it you have to teach, never having trained for a MMA bout, and never have been affiliated with an MMA program where exactly did you learn how to prepare a guy for a MMA fight?

2) Billy was a Blue belt the day he set foot in NC. Your memory is just not doing its job for you at the moment.

3) Yes I have a concern for a poor sap who goes to a place where they tell him he will be well prepared to fight, they train him and he gets trainwrecked. No guarantees in fighting, but you should at least be well prepared.

4) No where have I made issue of your non existant BJJ rank. What I am making an issue of is your non existant MMA experience with regards to preparing yourself or others for fights. You yourself said you never cared for competition. This makes me think your sudden interest in MMA competition is somewhat $$ driven.

5) My claims are not baseless, you have no past with MMA, yet now you are going to prepare guys to fight? If I were considering fighting I would not have to have a world champ to train me, but it would be nice to have a guy who has done it at some level. Sans that, at least a guy who trained out of gym where lots of guys fought (MMA) so that he would have some direct experience training and cornering people.

6) If you are putting guys in the ring/cage you are taking someone's well being directly into your hands. You COULD have the stuff to do that, but since you have NEVER done it anyone with half a brain would have to question you.

You are taking me asking direct questions as argumentative. I am not, I am simply very direct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    " Quick question, "does EVERY MMA teacher out there have an MMA record before they start teaching?" Do all coaches in all disciplines have to be athletes in the discipline that they coach? Is an athlete and great fighter always the best teacher/coach? I guess the future will tell becuase the beauty of this whole post is that ultimately our guys will fight and the results will tell the REAL truth."

I would say not necessarily, YOUR WEBSITE seems to say otherwise.

Mixed Martial Arts, or fighting in general, can be grouped into three areas:

1) Striking (i.e. kickboxing)

2) Takedowns (i.e. wrestling)

3) Ground Grappling (i.e. jiu-jitsu)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, most "MMA" schools are severely lacking proper training and credentials in all three groups...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may find a head instructor that has a Jiu-Jitsu black belt but has no credentials in kickboxing or wrestling... or you will find a gym with talented strikers but no jiu-jitsu black belt present... or often you will find a "MMA" school that doesn't have an expert in any of the three areas I just described! A jack of all trades but a master of none!

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fair enough...

Sorry...I did mistake your direct questions.

I will take your word about Billy, again I never cared about rank nor do I now so I am more than likely mistaken. Either way, I have and continue to respect all of the men mentioned.

I definitely did not decide to do this for the $$$ there are better ways to earn a lot more a lot easier, plus I DON'T teach for a living I am already covered. I teach because I want to plain and simple.

There are GREAT guys that workout at GREAT places that run into trains ALL the time....?

The points you make are good ones and I understand where you are coming from. I think you have made a great debate and asked some questions definitely worth consdieration. I thank you for your well thought argument and the points you raise but for now, I disagree with your assessment of me and the center.

In this life we can only do our best to be our best.....that is what I live each and every day. If I or my program are ultimately judged to be unworthy than I can accept that knowing that I honestly tried with integrity and good will to do something I believed in. What you can be sure of, and anyone that knows we will confirm this, is that pure and simply I DONT QUIT. I may learn slow and I may be far behind the rest but I passionately pursue the things I love with honor, discipline and integrity. I have not nor will I lie about my background, beliefs or intentions and so people have a choice as we all do as to how to take me on my word. Not everyone is going to like me or my ideas.

You might be right but you might also be wrong, only time will tell the difference.

Thank you.

Jason Brinn

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, Mr. Brinn. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbrinn
    I do in fact and will continue to take students that want to go to competitions to compete. In the past my students have done VERY well but that credit goes to them for hard training and competing not to me in my opinion.
    Would you be able to provide the names of the students and competitions in question? Verifiable success in competition by your students would be tremendously helpful in supporting your teaching credentials.

2) If I've read you correctly, you currently hold a white belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Do you feel that your ability in BJJ is at or above blue belt standards?

3) You've shown an awareness of the exigencies of marketing. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is held in high regard in the MMA world, and having tangible of your proficiency in it would be a valuable, legitimate marketing tool. Do you have any plans to pursue a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 7:15pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for baring with everyone here. I do have a question myself actually. On your site you have listed as sponsors: tapout, affliction, cage fighter, contract killer, combat sports intl. eternal unlimited, everlast, fairtex, hayabusa, hitman, hostilty, jesus didn't tap, no fear, punishment, round 5, shock doctor, sinister, skin, sprawl, stagr, throwdown, venum, and warrior international. I was wondering how you managed to get all these companies to sponsor you. The weird thing I see is that many of these companies are direct competitors (i.e. TapOut, Sprawl and Warrior) and they generally only give true sponsorships on an exclusive basis. How did you manage to get them ALL to sponsor your gym?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 11:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck, do you have a stake in this thread that you'd like to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wow...just when I thought this place was about being real...

To say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement.

I answer every question with honesty and these are the things people say and the questions they ask.

"A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. Until human beings develop more than two arms and two legs combat is all pretty much the same." (paraphrazing Bruce Lee).

I had a school of my own over 7 years ago until I went through a wicked divource and took some time off to travel, train with different Masters and personally work some things out. It was back during that time that I had students that competed in events and what I would like to say is that I don't care to talk about that...however I will give ONE example (which I don't feel I need to but in an effort to go above and beyond here goes). One student I taught, Eric Griffin, who is now a Purple Belt under Gustavo Machado was a white belt under me when he went to Fayetteville to compete in a big tournament. ALL the schools were there and Eric started in the beginner white belt division. He won that division, then the intermediate division and then went to the advanced division and to the finals of it to go against the assistant instructor of a very well known school only to loose on points.

Also, the first time I took two of my students to train with Carlos Machado after the first break Carlos came over and asked me if it would be ok for him to invite my students to join a national team he was trying to put together.

I personally have trained and earned my first black belt under a 5 time NC kickboxing champion and trained and taught at another gym that turned out 5 World Kickboxing champions. I have trained with MANY TOP World respected Masters and feel like I have gained a lot of insight during my time with each of them.

To me the past is just that, the past. I am looking forward and I am excited about where MY martial arts has evolved and the potential of where I can take my current students. I need no confirmation from anyone or anyone's approval either. I am my own man and my own martial artist. My teaching will be judged in the ring I suppose and let's just let that be the deciding point ok...?

I have not personally attacked anyone or anyone's school. As for credibilty who the hell cares. Credible or not I am doing something and trying and we will see just how "credible" my results are. My name is Jason Brinn. That is my name on this international forum. I put myself out here and put up a bio for all to read. I am at my school 6 days a week and offered anyone the opportunity to come down and meet me for themselves. I have stated that I have NO creditentals nor do I care to. I have stated that I am teaching my own thing and wish nobody any ill will or bad blood. I am looking to have a good time with my guys and train hard for the future. I don't see too many others signing in here with their real names and laying themselves out for everyone to throw stones at.

"Chuck the Truck" I don't need to live vicariously through my students. I have had my "fight life" and experiences and teach now to give something back and help others try and reach their goals. I am well aware what MMA means and what it stands for and we will just see if our combination of skills matches with others in the near future. I think with a National Boxing Coach with YEARS of experience, a former Professional Football Player an ex-Coast Guard Combat Rescue Swimmer, a handful of ex-Military Rangers, Marine Scout Snipers, close connections with TOP ranked UFC fighters like Chuck Liddell, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Mike Swick and the like we will do just fine. I have NEVER even trained TKD. What "combat sports" do you link to MMA, cause I thought BJJ, Muay Thai, and the like were considered combat sports related to MMA. I have experience in those. I also have experience in REAL combat and only care to mention that I am a Honorably Medically Discharged Veteran myself. I would never suggest I know anything about someone's background that I have never met and it is SAFE to say that nonone should assume anything about me either, especially considering my combat experience.

"Rudolph" I am not sure what is meant by the Sponsors section on the MMACTC website. You see I do not have anything to do with the website, the owner who has no martial arts experience put that together so you would have to ask him. I don't think they are literally sponsors in the sense you mentioned but I am not sure either. All I know is the owner has dished out a lot of cash for us to have a TOP place to train and supplies me with anything I need to help train my guys at no charge. I really don't care to mess that up asking all kinds of questions about his business. I do understand the question though.

"DirtyHippy" I do not know what you are referring to when you ask about "my world class instructors shoulder." My shoulder is great and so is my instructors....? Can you clarify?

I do NOT have any official rank in BJJ and I do NOT care to or EVER plan to (for like the one millionith time). I do value the concepts and principles which is why I studied it in the first place. Rank is not going to win fights or save my ass, knowledge, skill, luck and the good lord above will I pray. I do know WELL above what is considered the bluebelt level though and one of my past students over 7 years ago left my school and within a month was awarded a bluebelt outright by a well known instructor (not that that means anything to me but maybe it helps understand what I cover in my curriculum).

VERY SOON my students will be competing in their first event in the Raleigh area, a sport event to get them started, and there everyone can see what level they feel that they are at when they go to head to head with other schools people. Mind you that in a few months my students will have had only 4-5 months of actual training becuase they are all brand new to the sport and training!

Most people here have been nice and asked questions that I thought were both reasonable and worth while to answer. Now it seems that things are getting out of the productive arena and starting to just get mean and frankly a waste of my time. I really dont know what else to say that I have not done already and can not think of any "good" reason to continue answering the same questions over and over again.

Bottom line: I am not ranked or affiliated with anyone, nor will I be, nor do I care to be. I train people MY way, the way I see fit, in MY style of martial arts. We WILL be competing in the near future so why dont we just wait and see what happens. I have respected ALL schools and people on this forum and I habe NOT lied or tried to mislead anyone here or otherwise on what it is I do, where I have been or what I am about. I consider myself a Christian person who wishes the best for everyone and who is trying to do something he loves and help others to do the same. I don't go around and mess with anyone and really just wish to be left alone myself. I don't make claims or tear apart others. I am not a tough guy or bad ass. I am just a normal guy trying to live my life in peace and help others to do the same.

Thank you all,

Jason Brinn