222432 Bullies, 4264 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 3203
Page 3 of 321 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. jasonbrinn is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    666

    Posted On:
    12/04/2008 1:21pm


     Style: Shamar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Need more clarification?

    Are you talking about my past personally, or is this a question about training at the center where I teach now?

    Here are some possible answers until I hear back from you;

    1. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays you take on art (Karate mayabe)
    2. Tuesdays & Thrusdays another (Tai Chi for instance)

    Another possible answrr could me the mixing of the arts as it would be in MMA. One technique could even encompass more than one art like as follows;

    Attacker punches and you parry (using a technique from karate, maybe a block) and then drop your level and enter for a takedown (using skills that might be found in any grappling art, BJJ, wrestling, etc.) then take the attacker down to the ground (possibly using Judo or Shuai jiao - a chinese art similar to judo) only to finish your defense by locking the attacker down with a joint locking technique (maybe from Aikido). So in this scenario one technique alone utilized the knowledge from 4 seperate systems.


    Let me know what you mean and I will expound as much as I can.




    Jason Brinn
  2. Weaver is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 1:49am


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did not in any way explain why there was the "down talking" on your web page regarding Billy and Jason. Its also a bit of a curiosity for me to know who your world class instructors for Kickboxing, submission grappling, wrestling, and boxing are. World class is a BIG statement and I really want to know who the world class guys are there. That's alot of stuff to be world class in under one roof.
  3. jasonbrinn is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    666

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 8:56am


     Style: Shamar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    about "down talking"....?

    Weaver,


    Thanks for the interest and the questions.

    1. There was NEVER nor is there now (and NEVER will there be) any "down talking."

    Billy and Jason's names were never used on the site, nor anyone elses. There was NEVER any direct or indirect reference made about them or their school or anyone for that matter. The terms and verbiage used on the site to explain a concept were written in such a way that seemed to confuse some readers so we changed it. Believe me, if we had something specific to say about anyone or anyplace it would be VERY easy to read and we would speak directly in terms that would cause no confusion.

    As people can read on my bio and I think that I have stated on here (maybe not can't remember) I have trained in the past along side Billy and Jason and have respect for them and their accomplishments. At MMACTC we respect ANYONE that takes the time to get on the mat and tries to improve themselves and/or others.

    What we do is different and I have said many times that I have never been to a "bad" martial arts school in the area yet.

    As for "World Class" instruction.....I don't find debating what constitutes that with anyone as it is ultimately an opinion statement I feel. Maybe you come out and train with us and feel that the statement is false (in your opinion) or maybe you find it is true (in your opinion). We definitely feel that it is true so that is why we represent our instructors that way.

    As for the instructors, what they do and have done speak for themselves and need no defending or "prooving." Also, we don't care to, we JUST want to train and have a GOOD time doing it with people that are like minded.

    Just to answer directly though for you....at MMACTC we a Boxing Coach who has taken boxers from start to winning Nationals and beyond and worked with/trained World Class fighters, we have ex-Pro football athletes and MANY ex-military professionals training and teaching, we are connected with current TOP UFC fighters (I don't care to name drop) that come in and out of our center to support us, our instructors have trained and learned directly from the absolute top in each area of the MMA industry......so we feel pretty confident about the solidity of our program.

    The BEST thing about all of this is that by this time next year we will have our first batch of fighters ready to hit the circuits and there will be NO DOUBT as to what we are capable of turning out as far as fighters is concerned and the level of the training at our center. Just wait for the results.....I will make sure to report them here.

    Lastly, MMA, martial arts and life in general is short and I find it much better to live and focus on having fun, building up people and staying positive and more than anything that is what we are all about at MMACTC!



    Thanks again for your interest!




    Jason Brinn
  4. Weaver is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 9:16am


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    World Class is NOT a matter of opinion. Its a simple matter of fact. It means competing on a World level or taking someone to a world level. This for amatuers means Olympics, Mundials, ADCC, etc. For wrestling I would even accept a D-1 ALL American as world class. So who is it there at that level. World class gets thrown around lightly, but its not to be taken lightly IMO.

    Also, there is a blurb beside the link to you guy's site in several places on the net, it says "tap us out and train three months for free", who does one have to tap, you?
  5. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,540

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 9:41am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason - thanks for responding to the questions intelligently. I'll have to say, your claim of 14 years of BJJ experience does send up a red flag, IMO.

    You say you were training with the other local guys in the mid 90's when there wasn't any real solid instruction in the area. And you're right. There wasn't. I have no doubt you're telling the truth about this because I know those guys as well, and I know how they were training back then.

    But, the fact is that for quite a few years now there has been quality BJJ instruction in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest. The opportunity to train regularly with good partners and qualified instructors has existed. Although technically not a lie, it seems unfair to advertise 14 years of BJJ experience when you didn't really participate heavily in the local BJJ scene. If you had, you would have significant BJJ rank to show for it.

    In short, if you you don't think it's important enough to immerse yourself in BJJ to a degree that would allow you to achieve rank, then why is it important enough to tout your experience with it in order to attract customers?
  6. Gabetuno is offline
    Gabetuno's Avatar

    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 10:10am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver
    World Class is NOT a matter of opinion. Its a simple matter of fact. It means competing on a World level or taking someone to a world level. This for amatuers means Olympics, Mundials, ADCC, etc. For wrestling I would even accept a D-1 ALL American as world class. So who is it there at that level. World class gets thrown around lightly, but its not to be taken lightly IMO.

    Also, there is a blurb beside the link to you guy's site in several places on the net, it says "tap us out and train three months for free", who does one have to tap, you?
    Really? I wouldn't consider that World class. D-1 AA does not mean you wrestle in European or foreign tournaments.

    I guess it IS a matter of opinion. :wave:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.


  7. Weaver is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 10:21am


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    Really? I wouldn't consider that World class. D-1 AA does not mean you wrestle in European or foreign tournaments.

    I guess it IS a matter of opinion. :wave:
    A d-1 all american is more than capable of competing in foreign competition. Have you ever trained with a D-1 all american wrestler (D-1A) because I have and I have also trained with an olympic alternate. They were similar in physical ability and skills, the alternate just a bit more polished.

    Also my point was not that should be the standard for WC, Its that All American D-1A was as low as I was willing to go on the standards, and thats a pretty high standard.

    So you are correct its not technically world class, but IMO it would be close enough to at least make their marketing something I could try to swallow.
  8. Gabetuno is offline
    Gabetuno's Avatar

    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 10:53am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver
    A d-1 all american is more than capable of competing in foreign competition. Have you ever trained with a D-1 all american wrestler (D-1A) because I have and I have also trained with an olympic alternate. They were similar in physical ability and skills, the alternate just a bit more polished.

    Also my point was not that should be the standard for WC, Its that All American D-1A was as low as I was willing to go on the standards, and thats a pretty high standard.

    So you are correct its not technically world class, but IN MY OPINION it would be close enough to at least make their marketing something I could try to swallow.
    Whether we agree or not is moot. You concede, calling someone world class is, in fact, a matter of opinion. From what I've heard of this guy, he may not be a D-1 wrestler, but he's probably been around enough to know good fighters when he sees them. Given his forthrightness with his credentials, I have no reason at this point to doubt his credibility.

    By the way, I was trained by an Olympic alternate, and I can say, for a fact, the difference between Olympic wrestlers and D-1 AA is vast enough in a lot of individual cases that whatever you call these people, they should not necessarily be grouped together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.


  9. jasonbrinn is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    666

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 11:54am


     Style: Shamar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    once again...Thanks for the great replies...

    Ok,

    This is all good and I really appreciate everyone's honesty and interigty in taking such interest in our center and me (who would have known).

    As for World Class Instructors, IMO an instructor can be World Class if the material/template from which he/she is teaching is tried and true and has resulted in World Class athletes. This can DEFINITELY be said about the material/template that we have at our center. I feel additionally that to qualify as a World Class Instructor you would have either trained some high level athletes and been taught by other non-debated World Class instructors. The fact is a record does not denote such in anyway though. Take for instant the guy you have never heard of that gets on "The Ultimate Fighter" and wins and within 6 months is now on posters and fighting for a UFC belt....are they considered World Class when just a year ago you wouldn't paid the person a minutes attention?

    "World Class" is REALLY a matter of opinion and I have yet to see ANY school/center market themselves as "a bunch of average guys teaching from the top of their heads what they hope might do ok in the ring." For some reason that just doesnt get the people coming out to train with ya!

    As for my experience, no misleading going on. I HAVE trained BJJ for 14 years, sorry. It is ALSO a sad fact that noone has ranked me. Is that because I suck? Is it because I wasn't there really (too bad I got the tshirt to prove it)? The FACTS are I started my BJJ school back in 1997 when there were VERY few options. I trained with and along side Rob & Guy Pendergrass, Billy & Jason, etc. Except for Rob & Guy (who got their bluebelts from Renzo before moving down to NC) we were ALL white belts. We trained as a collective group but all trained daily at different places. The FACT is everyone eventually found instructors who taught them VIA....drumroll.......SEMINARS! So, until the not to recent past there were not ANY BJJ blackbelts in NC. We all trained the way most people do, through seminars and bringing someone in and then trained what they taught until the next seminar. I am SURE that Rob & Guy or Billy and Jason when asked how long they have studied BJJ include the time when they trained from the very beginning of their training just like I do. The only difference here is that they went a path that lead them to get ranked and I didn't.

    NO....I NEVER INTEND, WANT OR PLAN to get a BB in BJJ. It is not something I am concerned about. Back when I had my school in 97 to become an affiliate to a "brazilian blackbelt instructor" costs $250/month with a guarantee of 3 seminars each year (min of 10 people @ $200 person) with all expenses prepaid. Sorry, I just never saw the value for me todo such a thing although I think it is AWESOME that others did and others found different ways beyond that to excel in rank too. To quote Royce Gracie himself "a belt covers 2 inches of your ass and you have to cover the rest." We are running an MMA center not a BJJ, Judo, etc center. I felt it was important to list my experience with BJJ so people know that it has not been a year or two or even 6 since I was introduced to the "ground game." I seek to be honest, open and fair so I feel my background is important for my students to know about.

    I run MY program at the MMACTC along with the boxing coach and other trainers programs and we have streamlined them together into what WE feel is a solid program destined for successful fighters at the TOP levels.

    I am NOT sadly a ninja, although I play one on TV.

    As for the "tap us out and get 3 months for free" that was something the owner thought would be fun and cool. We are not trying to say anything other than we seriously enjoy MMA and felt MOST people would catch our drift. If you like, you are more than welcome to come down and roll with me....if/when you make me tap instead we will gladly give you three months free! I do feel I should put a notice here though:

    TAPPING ME WILL IN NO WAY MAKE YOU A CHAMPION, PREPARE YOU FOR THE RING, ALLOW YOU TO LEAP SMALL BUILDINGS OR REPEL BULLETS, ALSO, TAPPING ME MAY INCLUDE SIDE EFFECTS OF EUPHORIA AND PRIDE BUT THESE SIDE EFFECTS SHOULD DISSAPATE WITHIN SECONDS (OR UNTIL YOU ROLL WITH THE NEXT WHITE BELT) AND THESE SIDE EFFECTS HAVE ONLY BEEN REPORTED IN .0000009 TRIALS.



    thanks again,




    Jason Brinn
  10. Bob the Ninja is offline
    Bob the Ninja's Avatar

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    12/18/2008 2:05pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thinking of BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nicely said.
Page 3 of 321 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.