is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    The season doesn't matter, there will be always children playing around, just waiting to have their eyes poked by some rattan sticks by acident. There's no garden here, just a public square. I was thinking about doing it there anyway but it would be too much of a trouble just getting the tires down there, let alone being considered an armed freak by the entire neibourhood.
    ****, I'm out of ideas.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 12:16am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

something different

Sometimes we hit tires while one guy holds the tire & the other hits it. BUt, something new we're expierementing with is basically a soft core or rubber baseball glued (with liquid nails industrial adhesieve) to a hard wood stick. Just drill a hole in the ball make sure the stick is a tight fit,glue it to a stick & you're ready. The idea behind this is to work on precision of your strikes by focusing on the impact of the tip of your stick, while another guy holds the ball&stick contraption & adding movement to complicate the striking exercise. Don't know if this fits the style of everyone else's strikes but it seems to work for me. However,it is in the experimental phase right know. I got the idea from a something GM Bobby Taboada (Balintiwak Arnis) once said. Basically he said in the philipines they used to strike the cherry or ash (lit part) off of a cigarrette while in a partners mouth. I don't know about all that just yet but reardless here's something different to try out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 3:21pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to illustrate, that's the area that I have:

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a thread about whether it is healthy or not for your joints to hit a tire. The experts on here felt that if the Filipinos do it then it must be right so I won't get into that again. Considering your tight space and that you do have a hanging heavy bag, why not just hit that? o, I see, it's vinyl, and vinyl doesn't last long. I hit a canvas heavy with a railroad track inside it for weight. This issue was also discussed with the experts on here favoring hitting with the tip of the stick, which rips into the bag. I hit with the shaft so I don't have that problem.

Solution, make your heavy bag removable. Don't use that chair back there but something more stable and switch it out with a hanging tire. To keep the tire from swinging put weights in it or even cement. Two tires with weights should be very heavy, or even anchor the thing to a weight on the floor to keep it from swinging.

I had mine weighted and then I tied it to my heavy bag on the ground on it's side as an anchor. It makes a great kicking target down low while I hit up high. I did not like the effect the rebound had on my technique so I don't hit tires anymore.

The rubber ball on a stick is a great idea. In Latosa Escrima we try to hit rattan if we can, and we use a staff with tapped marks for targets. Its best to have someone hold it for you but I have a wooden rack to hold the staff for hitting as well.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 9:46am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hitting a tire stack with a pipe or a hardwood stick might be problematic, but rattan is essentially stiff rope. You shouldn't get tennis elbow hitting the tires with rattan anymore than you get it doing static drilling against another stick with some level of intensity.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a good point about the hardwood. Rene Latosa and Bill Newman both told me not to hit tires, or even hit cut tire mounted to surfaces. I defer to their experience over 4 decades.

Hitting a rattan stick/staff held by another human is the best, for both people. Everything else has it's own problems.

I do enjoy the hanging tire though.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Single tire attached to a rope works best. You're not always gonna strike a surface that is nice and round sided that never moves. When you open up with a Sinawali on a tire being knocked back and forth and that is spinning. It gives you an idea of how your body reacts when you strike an elbow or when someone changes stance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12