Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is really good. a few years ago, in a christmas basket we got a jar of mango salsa that was great. never able to find it again, but stumbled across this and I use it in my post training buritto:

egg whites, low-fat vegetarian refried beans, cottage cheese (which actually works well replacing the cheese and sour cream) and the salsa in a low-carb wrap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 2:12am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Farmer's Cheese, it's just cottage cheese with the water wrung out. It's a little less gross-looking and really psychologically helped me get excited about cottage cheese (okay, maybe not excited, but it was just less repulsive).

I would either spread it on slices of apples or bananas or drizzled with a little honey (or both). The other way I like to eat it is on a salad of raw spinach with sliced strawberries with a little grilled chicken breast. Amazing.

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 2:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually put two forkfuls in my omelettes. I definitely notice and enjoy the taste when it is there as opposed to when it isn't. Beware though, it can make an awful mess in the pan if you aren't careful.

Truthfully other than that though I haven't been man enough to try it uncooked or in any other meals. I know my brother's friend eats it by the spoonful though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 6:35am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat it cottage cheese straight from the tub. Mmmm. I'm going to have some now...

... ok. My advice is to sample a few brands. Some are way, way better than others. I've eaten the same brand since I was a kid, but now sometimes when I order shopping online, they send the wrong brand, and it's horrid -- all dry and firm and yech. Nothing like the cottage cheese I know and love. So shop around.

Also, bear in mind that cottage cheese tends to be really high in sodium, so if that is a thing to you, I'd moderate just how much you're ingesting. Actually, if you're only eating it for its nutritional value anyway, I'd compare the nutritional profiles of different brands, too, because it varies a lot.

And fine, if you must mix it to enjoy, I'd try it with some plain (ie non-sugary, because that would be a little gross) yogurt and maybe some fruit. I also sometimes use it as cheese on mini pizzas made from pita bread and it melts really nicely.

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 6:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate it when people put cottage cheese in lasagna. it's so....wrong. feta cheese too. does not work. mozzarella or forget it.

i've totally put a big lump of cottage cheese on a plate next to a big slab of grilled meat, and some steamed veggies. sea salt and pepper dude, i'm tellin' ya....
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 6:57am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh also, if you don't like cottage cheese, you could just eat ricotta -- similar amount of protein (little bit more fat, though).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like cottage cheese either and used to eat it. Greek yogurt has a higher amount of protein than regular yogurt and could be eaten instead. http://www.fageusa.com/products.html

If you like yogurt. Though it is different than the yogurt you typically find in stores. Much thicker and really not as sour.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 10:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to hate cottage cheese (except for in lasagna - yeah, that's right. What are you gonna do about it? Go **** some bears)... honestly, a lot of the challenge is just getting used to it.

The different brands and varieties do vary a great deal, so try different ones. I personally find dry curd absolutely impossible to swallow... my preference is for 1%.

Cubed melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon) in cottage cheese is delicious.

Also, when starting out, you might want to drain off some of the whey to make the texture less offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 11:07am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are a bunch of suggestions:

http://stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

The oatmeal pancakes are fantastic; I've also tried the rye version further down the page.
    The 'cheesecake' recipe is great, as long as you treat it as a breakfast rather than a dessert; it doesn't bear much relation to actual cheesecake. I'm making the crustless quiche today.

Also, you can make a veggie dip by blending cottage cheese with herbs and garlic.
    Last edited by Sona_Bear; 12/01/2008 1:28pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 11:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link's broken - one too many http's. Edit your post to fix it, because the pancake recipe looks like it could be really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast