Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 4:14am

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't know where else to put this.

I've got a knife collection like a lot of you do.

It's one of the few things that I actually enjoy collecting.

I've got this knife that originally had a shitty handle. Didn't feel comfortable at all. Also it came loose so I just said too hell with took it off then replaced it with piece of deer bone big enough fit on the tang. Now that knife is my pride and joy. It's blade is not remarkably long or cool looking how ever it does hold a good edge. But God is it a pleasure to hold.

But today something messed up with that knife. There was a friend visiting with her 6 yr old son. I generally keep my knives in a lock box. I don't wear the key I just put it in a drawer. Now the kid was for the most part occupying himself with the tv down stairs. Anyway we get to talking about dumb **** we did in high school. This goes on for I'd say two hours. But next you know we hear a scream coming from upstairs. We both run up to my room since it's the only one with a door open and the light on. We get in there and we see the kid's hand bleeding, my favorite knife is on the floor with blood on it, the lock box is open and the key is in the lock.

I....I don't know if I left the damn key in the lock box or if he fished it out of the drawer I generally keep it in. The friend rushes her son to the emergency. She calls me later and tells me that her son will require 9 stitches. She's not mad at me, she's just scared for her son getting a needle repeatedly stuck into him.

I'm sharing this story because many noobs come here looking to start a collection or wanting advice.

I just want someone to learn from my mistake. Whether I inadvertedly left the key in the lock and he fished out of the drawer this is still my mistake because in some way I made it easy for him to hurt himself. When I get the money I will be getting a combination safe., This incident has made me lose trust in the lock box and has been a stern reminder at just how out of nowhere things like this can happen.

Again I hope others can learn from my mistake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 5:38am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly Tyrsman, as a civilian I was an avid blade collector myself. There would be times when some friend or family member would bring children to my grandmother's house, and one of the requirements for kids visiting while I lived there was I was allowed to give "the Speech", sometimes with a practical demonstration involving some ham or steak I was about to eat. Well, I always had some sort of demonstration, even if it was a piece of paper. Some parents got peeved at me, but noone's kids ever hurt themselves on my blades. And those parents who got peeved at me were told flat out, that since the household was all adult, I was only responsible for making sure that all people concerned were aware of the danger, not keeping a lock box (That still is CA law to this day, that someone who does not have children is under no obligation to lock up all weapons).

As for safes and lockboxes, they are great, but they are human built mechanical devices, and at some point, in some way, they will fail you.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 5:56am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    ...Again I hope others can learn from my mistake.
    Good to hear the kid's going to be all right - 9 stitches is better than serious/fatal injury...

Seconding bushi_no_ki's "never enough verbal warning" point.

I too have (2 kids and) a small collection, placed on higher shelves in my bookcase (the blades... ;-) ).

But I also have dozens of more or less sharp kitchen knives of all sizes "readily available" in the drawer/wooden stand in the kitchen.

If kids learn that blades are dangerous - barred too much curiosity/stupid accident - they should be safe.

You cannot lock up all things potentially dangerous to children - you'd live between padded walls.

Hope you're fine, too.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 8:11am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sheeyit...at least it wasnt a gun in the box...
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 8:38am

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my own knives when I was six. This is the problem with not teaching your kids something simple like, a knife can cut you.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BENXPX
    I had my own knives when I was six. This is the problem with not teaching your kids something simple like, a knife can cut you.
    Agreed, me too. Tyrs- how old was the kid in this story?

Sounds like parent's fault to me. And not just for not teaching proper safety, for being a carless bastard and just letting her kid wander around a house without watching him. So many parents do this kind of thing, just don't take the time and effort to raise kids correctly and keep them safe, acting as reluctant babysitters instead of attempting actual parenting. Kids are alot of work, but you shouldn't have them if you aren't going to put the time in to do it right. I don't care what you say about the woman, there is no way I would let my son wander around for so long without worrying about him.

So when you say "She wasn't mad at me about it...", I say: she fucking better not be. You had the knife safely in a lockbox, and she just sat there with her thumb up her ass having a good time while hapzardly allowing her young child to wander around a non kid-proof house. Good parents know better.

Rant complete.

Benxpx- is your name a play on the band MXPX?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:00am

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Benxpx- is your name a play on the band MXPX?
    Heck yes it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:01am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your concern for the young man is laudable.

But I have a four and a two year old myself, and they don't even go in their mom's dresser, let alone pick up one of the kitchen knives always laying out up on the counter.
    It didn't even take a whole lot of drama to achieve this, compared to some other disciplinary subjects :eusa_eh:

This kid comes to a stranger's house, for the first time, and he starts to toss the place?

Just keep that box locked; how cool people are or what great friends they've been, has no bearing on how their kids are going to behave.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! That's cool. So your a NOFX fan too, I hope?

I got to hang out with MXPX at warped tour. Cool guys. Have they had any new albums recently?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 11:54am

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Tyrs- how old was the kid in this story?

He was 6 yrs old
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast