Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Loving Father

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the seals I trained with (5) take CQB/CQD training very seriously.
    Admittedly, HTH is not an aspect of combat they want to be caught
    up in, but is often a reality sooner or later.

Those seals I knew didn't trust that the CQB they were taught was
    enough, so spent their off hours training on their own, in-between
    bbq & brewskis & bikinis!

`~/

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 10:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call BS on the training in between bikinis, nobody in his right mind would train when he could ****!
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 11:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meguyiam
    As mush as I respect Navy SEALs and think they're totally badass, I can't ignore the fact that CQD looks like bullshido...like, what's with the attackers at 2:20 falling like little girls, doesn't look like "alive" training to me, and no matter how deep you wanna go into denial, you can't ignore the ninja stance/ninja walk...

Anyway, from what I heard, CQD is based on some kind of traditional martial art, I think it was some form of karate (which is known for it's reliability on the streets of course) but I could swear I saw some kung fu in there...
    Do you have any facts, evidence, website, falsified ranks, experience, been ripped off, or anything else to offer other than Ha ha bullshido?

If not, this will be moved to YMAS.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003volusia
    If the SEALs are using it, I would say there is definitely something too it.
    Just because they do, doesn't mean anything. Look at some of the stuff that the military has used and passed off as hand-to-hand over the years. Just because they used it, doesn't mean there was something to it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 11:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bunch of the team guys train at my school.. I'll ask them tomorrow night in class if they have ever heard of CQD and if they use it.

As for the comment that they don't train h2h often.. I know that instructors from my school and a few other local schools visit the different teams on a daily basis so I believe that they're training h2h more than people give them credit for.

Disclaimer: I have no first hand knowledge of how often they actually train because I have never been in either of the compounds at Dam Neck or Little Creek. So I'm basing my comments on conversations, and my experience from training/rolling with some of the team guys at my gym 3-4 times a week for the past few years.
    Last edited by cjlcjl; 11/30/2008 11:35am at .

Loving Father

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by c4t5
    I call BS on the training in between bikinis, nobody in his right mind would train when he could ****!
    Hahaha!
    I have never met a seal "in their right mind" -
    those guys are crazy!

`~/

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BHP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I would not call BS on CQD just yet.

Granted I am new to this forum (this being my 2nd post) but I can say this.

If the SEALs are training in even rudimentary martial arts as part of close quarters defense that is still a lot more than your average insurgent is going to have. This has to be placed in perspective, a person does not need to have a black belt to win a fight, your average person with a little real training has a much better chance against your average person with no training after all.

As to the people who say, "You don't need hand to hand if you have a gun." I have to point out that not every mission is a "kill mission" sometimes they may be asked to capture someone, and in that case, generally, basic hand to hand combat training would likely be enough.

So is CQD "Bullshido" as the original poster asked?

I don't think that we can say that it is. It isn't designed or intended to let a soldier take on a 2nd degree black belt with 23+ years of martial arts experience. It is designed to take down the 18 year old barely literate insurgent who is probably terrified and has never been shot at before.

Without seeing more on the training aside from the short few seconds of footage using the hand to hand techniques we saw I don't think it is possible to make that kind of a call.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 5:58pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I served my military duty in a company that specialized on "swat operations" and our hand 2 hand combat was silly. We were instructed to hit with open hands among other things.. we trained only on striking and cheap tricks. cheap tricks is the kind you will see at a krav maga/systema seminar. Anyway.. We always had to use grappling when we apprehended "suspects" and we didn't train on that.. however.. we were usually 2-4 on one person. so it wasn't usually any major problems.

I don't know why we emphasized striking. I didn't think much about it. me and everybody else in my platoons role was to obey orders.. so I guess I trained what I was told.

Strange thing.. I have the impression that it is more beneficial too be a strong public speaker when you are in the military than to be good at martial arts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 6:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HWalsh
    Well I would not call BS on CQD just yet.

Granted I am new to this forum (this being my 2nd post) but I can say this.

If the SEALs are training in even rudimentary martial arts as part of close quarters defense that is still a lot more than your average insurgent is going to have. This has to be placed in perspective, a person does not need to have a black belt to win a fight, your average person with a little real training has a much better chance against your average person with no training after all.

I don't think that we can say that it is. It isn't designed or intended to let a soldier take on a 2nd degree black belt with 23+ years of martial arts experience. It is designed to take down the 18 year old barely literate insurgent who is probably terrified and has never been shot at before.
    This is a gross oversimplification. Many of those insurgents have been warring before we (Americans), are allowed to legally join the military.

I think what you are missing is, people are saying the guns and tactics are more relevant than h2h skill and training. Now, I may be wrong, but if h2h was top notch you wouldn't have as many Military people training off base.

Seriously, why pay for training when you could do it as part of your enlistment?

This is obviously my opinion from my military friends and the Military people posting here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 6:10pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Pantaloons
    Strange thing.. I have the impression that it is more beneficial too be a strong public speaker when you are in the military than to be good at martial arts.
    That's an interesting observation - do you mean actually being able to stand up and give a speech in front of an audience, or a more general range of verbal skills: getting your point across in a group of strong personalities, for instance, or de-escalating situations using words?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast